First listen to WAMM from TAS

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I would think a $50k headphone (complete with integrated tube amp)is on a par with $650k WAMM speaker system.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I would think a $50k headphone (complete with integrated tube amp)is on a par with $650k WAMM speaker system.

When do headphones compete with any speaker? It's like a different hobby altogether. Maybe if someone added subs then they would feel the music.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
When do headphones compete with any speaker? It's like a different hobby altogether. Maybe if someone added subs then they would feel the music.

For the most part subs constitute furniture.
I used to place knick-knacks and plants on mine. That is because most source material contains very little bass below 60 hz.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I used to place knick-knacks and plants on mine. That is because most source material contains very little bass below 60 hz.

I agree. I have heard some individuals use them with headphones to get the feeling they are listening to speakers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I agree that the information below 60hz does not constitute in any way anywhere near as much as the information above 60hz. That said, i also would say that i could not be anywhere near as happy without the Velodyne in the system alongside the big Wilsons. I have had a sub in every system going back to 1993. Today the sub is set to cut off with a 36db slope above 40hz, and it is STILL frustrating to listen to the system without it (ie, the previous sub was in for repairs for 2 weeks, and it was tortuously difficult to lose the 'foundation and presence' in the room).

For me, it was just as difficult as having to substitute out one of the other key components in the system for a 'decent loaner' while it was under repair which did happen around 10 years ago. The old Gryphon Antileon i got 2nd hand needed new caps, and i had a temp loaner amp from the dealer, and it was difficult to adjust...but not having the Velodyne was just as difficult.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Apples and oranges, IMHO. We know what is the apple costing 650k, what is the orange costing 50k? :)

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Apples and oranges, IMHO. We know what is the apple costing 650k, what is the orange costing 50k? :)

Probably the Sennheiser Orpheus.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think the MA 2 is cheaper.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
...the sub is set to cut off with a 36db slope above 40hz...

Probably the most important part of the sub is the crossover. The main speaker is released from trying to reproduce ultra low frequencies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing