Westworld (New HBO Series)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
This has been an interesting series, the finale is airing this Sunday.

Thinking about the plot, I realized Westworld is an allegory for the human experience. "The Maze" is what we're here on Earth to do. We started as animals, over time we gained self-consciousness. It's the key that separates humans from animals. We die and are reborn countless times with memories of past lives hidden behind a barrier.

The goal of life on Earth is for humanity to escape the endless cycles of suffering... birth, old age, sickness, death, repeat. We are literally stuck in a cyclic pattern, just like the hosts in Westworld. None of what we experience is real, everything changes and everything is temporary, the true essence of our worldly existence is empty, like a rainbow or a hologram.

Finding the center of the maze is understanding what we truly are.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I watched two episodes and am now quitting. Just not a world that I care about at all despite my sci-fi inclinations. Guys going into a new world to shoot people and have fun with the hookers just doesn't do it for me. I'm sure there is a deeper meaning somewhere, but it will be without me finding it.

Honestly, despite the gunfights and gore I found it quite boring. I'm usually a big fan of HBO product, but this one left me cold. When does GOT start up again???

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I watched two episodes and am now quitting. Just not a world that I care about at all despite my sci-fi inclinations. Guys going into a new world to shoot people and have fun with the hookers just doesn't do it for me. I'm sure there is a deeper meaning somewhere, but it will be without me finding it.

Honestly, despite the gunfights and gore I found it quite boring. I'm usually a big fan of HBO product, but this one left me cold. When does GOT start up again???

Took me 4 episodes to connect with it.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Took me 4 episodes to connect with it.

I agree. I kept watching it because I was sure that all of that A+ acting talent couldn't be wasted on a piece of crap. We were unbelievably rewarded with the finale.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

That's the story for us too. Watched a few episodes and then lost interest. It had the right ingredients to be great but it just meandered with the theme as you say and the longer story is taking forever to unfold.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Westworld was certainly slow paced, but beautifully written and always a darkness that I liked.

Anthony Hopkins is brilliant and if you did not stick with the show, that is a pity. The last 3 episodes are brilliant with the last ep, a very large surprise and twist.

Loved it.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Westworld was certainly slow paced, but beautifully written and always a darkness that I liked.

Anthony Hopkins is brilliant and if you did not stick with the show, that is a pity. The last 3 episodes are brilliant with the last ep, a very large surprise and twist.

Loved it.

Yeah, it was slow to get going, but if you only watch the first couple episodes you don't even know what the show is about yet. It gets better and better, the last few episodes were amazing and well worth trudging through the first three.

I watched the original before the series, the series is so much better than the old movie.

IMO, this is one of the best series ever... looking forward to season 2!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Yeah, it was slow to get going, but if you only watch the first couple episodes you don't even know what the show is about yet. It gets better and better, the last few episodes were amazing and well worth trudging through the first three.

I watched the original before the series, the series is so much better than the old movie.

IMO, this is one of the best series ever... looking forward to season 2!

for sure I have to watch it again

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We watched 5 or so episodes so definitely know the story. I am not sure the writers knew the story though as they started to lose focus becoming like a lot of shows like this: as soap opera to drag the user from episode to episode. With so many choices of content out there these days, it is hard to ask for viewer patience if you lose them in the middle. Anyway it is a personal thing and that is my stance. :)

BTW, I absolutely loved the opening sequence. By far one of the best in TV and movies:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Pacing is definitely as issue with this series. I struggled until one episode completely woke me up. Then I couldn't wait to see the next episode (which was also great). Then just when I thought it was on fire there was another slow episode while the one after picked up again.

Inconsistent for sure. I'm glad I struggled through it because Thandi Newton's character was very good and I will watch the next season, but I would not say this is 'must watch' TV.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Pacing is definitely as issue with this series. I struggled until one episode completely woke me up. Then I couldn't wait to see the next episode (which was also great). Then just when I thought it was on fire there was another slow episode while the one after picked up again.

Inconsistent for sure. I'm glad I struggled through it because Thandi Newton's character was very good and I will watch the next season, but I would not say this is 'must watch' TV.

Most great art is a slow burn. It takes at least 100 pages of a John Le Carre' to understand what the hell is going on. Any audiophile with the patience to have a record collection should love this. Those who want 10,000 songs on their iPhone instantly might not be willing to invest the time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing