Our planet Earth | Climate changes | Science | Global Warming

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Protecting the environment wasn't always a political issue.

The Environmental Protection Agency was created during a Republican administration - Richard Nixon.

Nor is it elsewhere....its only in the US the extreme right has dug it's heels in and used it's media hegemony to misrepresent the science the rest of the world accepts.
This is not a good look and is why this aspect of US policy is widely derided, held to be irrational, selfish and anti science.
It is why the US can no longer claim to lead the world, but is now bypassed, ridiculed and ignored. If the rest of the world can reduce carbon emissions, while beginning from a considera ly lower per capita amount, why can't/won't the US?
Those on the right live in a bubble that insulates them from facts and world opinion, while endorsing ludicrous conspiracy theories to endorse their economic nationalism. The rest of the world does not and perceives these actions for what they are....the worst form of 'stuff the world, pull the ladder up' economics

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
As a young man I always remember reading the works of these two men in my high school library...I don't think many would not relate to their thoughts today.

In his famous text “Nature,” Emerson discusses the importance of nature and how one can benefit greatly from experiences with it. Emerson says, “in the woods, we return to reason and faith” and become “part and particle with God” (Emerson 494). He describes the wonder of nature and how experiencing nature can greatly improve a person. This message is just as relevant today as it was in the 1830s when Emerson was writing. People today lead high stress lives filled with technology and noise, experiencing nature as Emerson descried it would benefit a modern person greatly.

Thoreau would agree with Emerson that the modern person of today could benefit from nature. He says, “The better part of the man is ploughed into the soil for compost” (Thoreau 846). The idea that Thoreau presents in this quote is that for most of a person’s life, they work for no personal gain, or as the modern person might say, often find themselves working in dead end jobs. People today seek escape from the cycle of work not usually in nature, but rather in technology and other consumer goods. Thoreau would argue that, “Most of the luxuries, and many of the so called comforts of life, are not only indispensable, but positive hindrances to the elevation of mankind” (851). Thoreau would be appalled by the modern obsession with obtaining the latest and greatest technologies and he would stress the idea that in simplicity one truly finds happiness. He would argue that nature should be protected because in nature, as his mentor Emerson often said, one can find the peace of mind and spirit that one often searches for.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
You clearly haven't bothered to even glance at the article or the graphs it contains, as it debunks many of the claims made in your first video
If you had you would have learned it was not representing the work of a guardian journalist, nor was it a puff piece of the sort you have linked to, but collation of peer reviewed studies originating from NASA to the New Scientist to Nature and the Royal Society.

These are pre eminent scientific journals and bodies, not the fringes of some republican event
If you can't even be bothered to glance at a graph there is absolutely no way I am going to waste hours of my weekend wading through the uninformed ramblings of some random. If our esteemed host North Star was unable to get through it i rate my own chances as slim to none; he has far more tolerance for idiocy than i.
This is why i have requested you link to the peer reviewed papers that back up your argument, as opposed to uniformed rants as you continue to do

We're here to learn, to seek the scientific truth. This is not an hospital for handicapped scientists. :b
Seriously, it is less than sweet; it's not about me and my state-of-mind on tolerance, it's about the time we have left on Earth after leaving our footprints.

We love music and films and wildlife documentaries and taking a stroll in the forest. We love the diversification of the weather and how to cope best with it.
One guy wants to ban anything related to global warming, another comments on "idiocy tolerance"; we can talk about world's overpopulation in the next 200 years and how best prepare for it, or we can talk about films, or we can talk about music. We judge no one and no one is judging us; we discuss stuff of interest till our communication skills reach the higher level of knowledge. Do you hold the card about the meaning of life and everything in it?
Our world is full of scientific idiots and gullible audiences. Teach us your mastering art of living healthy, of killing cancer, of breathing better, in equality and emancipation for all, please.
_____

? http://www.ucsusa.org/nuclear-power/nuclear-power-and-global-warming#.WWu33IjyvIU
? https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-radiation-levels-highest-since-2011-meltdown

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
True...then enter the progressive liberals....demonizing and shouting down anyone that doesn't agree with them or their agenda.

Dead wrong. The oil companies specifically marketed their global warming denial propaganda to the American Taliban, Evangelical Christians. These bible literalists think that the Earth is 4,000 years old, dinosaurs were on Noah's ark and that humans cannot damage the Earth. The American Taliban is the most dangerous force on the Earth, it's a shame that the republicans have allied themselves with these freaks in a desperate attempt to stay in office.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Dead wrong. The oil companies specifically marketed their global warming denial propaganda to the American Taliban, Evangelical Christians. These bible literalists think that the Earth is 4,000 years old, dinosaurs were on Noah's ark and that humans cannot damage the Earth. The American Taliban is the most dangerous force on the Earth, it's a shame that the republicans have allied themselves with these freaks in a desperate attempt to stay in office.

+ 1

Barry Goldwater, conservative icon:

“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”

I am religious myself (a practicing Catholic), but the religious right frightens me as well. Unfortunately, a good number of my Catholic brothers and sisters have also been enticed towards the dark side, and align themselves with the most extreme fringes of the Republican Party. And make no mistake, not so long ago climate change was not a hugely controversial issue within the Republican Party either.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Gentlemen, lets keep politics out of the discussion please.

Tom

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Gentlemen, lets keep politics out of the discussion please.

Tom
Better close it down then, because unfortunately any "discussion" on this subject is political

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Topics like this end up with mud slinging. As a scientist I can argue either side with vigor. I could and have been able to convince others to both sides. End of the day it is very complicated.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Topics like this end up with mud slinging. As a scientist I can argue either side with vigor. I could and have been able to convince others to both sides. End of the day it is very complicated.

Both sides of climate change cannot be vigorously discussed using scientific papers. The science from EVERY leading University, NGO and governmental organize supports man made climate change.

That's why the oil companies targeted the American Taliban, they are anti-science at all times. Modern Science contridicts the Bible, so as Bible literalists it's easy to understand why the American taliban sees science as threatening.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Sure, as a biochemist I can argue both Intelligent Design and evolution with vigor. In fact, I once took the side of Intelligent Design (when I was still convinced of it) and 'won' the debate -- easily. Yet evolution is correct.

If the capacity of the universe for physical, chemical and biological evolution is intelligently designed in the first place, or not, is a whole other matter.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Sure, as a biochemist I can argue both Intelligent Design and evolution with vigor. In fact, I once took the side of Intelligent Design (when I was still convinced of it) and 'won' the debate -- easily. Yet evolution is correct.

If the capacity of the universe for physical, chemical and biological evolution is intelligently designed in the first place, or not, is a whole other matter.

"Won the debate easily" when your side has no data or facts to back up the argument. Either you are a master debater or your opponent was an idiot.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
"Won the debate easily" when your side has no data or facts to back up the argument. Either you are a master debater or your opponent was an idiot.

Both ;)

No, seriously, even people who are right often don't have sufficient knowledge. There are very few atheists who can as convincingly argue as me, a religious person, for an origin of life by natural causes,

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/originoflife.html

(my article, with 100+ references from the primary scientific literature), because they just don't have any firm grip on the issue. In fact, I have often seen them come up with ridiculous arguments in favor of it which I can dismantle in a few seconds.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

So evangelical Christian's are Taliban to you ? I may not agree with them on many things but they are good American's...Progressive Liberals on the other hand in full display since Trump was elected ????

Enjoy the political sidelines for many years to come. Your average Joe American now understands the intellectual dishonesty of democrats, the media and liberal progressives in general. You proved my point. Thanks for playing.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
So evangelical Christian's are Taliban to you ? I may not agree with them on many things but they are good American's...Progressive Liberals on the other hand in full display since Trump was elected ????

Enjoy the political sidelines for many years to come. Your average Joe American now understands the intellectual dishonesty of democrats, the media and liberal progressives in general. You proved my point. Thanks for playing.

Evangelical Christians are not good Americans, they work to circumvent the Constitution at every point. The Ten Commandments in public places, prayer in school, tax exemption for their "political institutions" that are actually religious and now with the help of the Supreme Court public funds to help with upkeep of their church school yards. Pathetic.

I've voted 100% republican all my life, why would you think i was liberal? There are plenty of Republicans that are atheists, but you forget that because the American Taliban have the loudest voice. The Evangelicals have so totally taken over the Republican party that for me to disparage them I "must be a liberal."

Enjoy your Alex Jones and Sea Hannity, us Republicans that believe in science and intellectual honesty will read the Economist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing