Seattle report: Mike's System, Bruce B, Jazdoc, EA MM7, NVS, Darts, etc

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Mike

Are your measurements quoted from tweeter to tweeter and from tweeter to center of chair back?

Also did you ever try to get amps away from between the speakers?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike

Are your measurements quoted from tweeter to tweeter and from tweeter to center of chair back?

yes, tweeter to tweeter is 109".

listening position is actual ear to tweeter, both sides (with laser measuring device). you need to add the head width to know the actual geometry. a single point would be a slightly longer distance.

and I have multiple sighting points to reference my ears when I change chairs.

I can move my head around and not lose anything. it's not a tiny little sweet spot.

Also did you ever try to get amps away from between the speakers?

no. they are slightly behind the plane of the front of the speakers, so no direct reflections.

however...I have covered the amps with foam and then listened....and heard nothing different.

Last edited:

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
A great read Ked, I'd love to hear that Zeppelin tape they played, must have been awesome mate

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What a fantastic report, Kedar!

How are you reconciling the amazing sound you heard from the combination of Mike's room and MM7s with your general preference for Apogees?

Mike, I consider Kedar a tough customer so I think his amazement at what your system and room can do is a significant tribute to your dedication, passion and persistence in achieving the absolute sound.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What a fantastic report, Kedar!

How are you reconciling the amazing sound you heard from the combination of Mike's room and MM7s with your general preference for Apogees?

Mike, I consider Kedar a tough customer so I think his amazement at what your system and room can do is a significant tribute to your dedication, passion and persistence in achieving the absolute sound.

Mike’s set up was better. The only thing is I cannot dissociate it from the room yet.

As you know, the Apogee Grands we both heard, had a big room, and were based on literally free cables, and electronics that would collectively cost less than one of Mike’s cables.

That said, I don’t think the Apogees would have been able to produce what Mike’s system did with even that level of gear, though at the same time, what would sound better in more “average” room conditions? The MM3 can fit a smaller room than the Full Range (both have the same street price), so they can fit a Duetta room as well, and should be better.

I think how good they are can be best verified by those in the US visiting someone like edorr, who has Mike’s ex-MM3s in a small room.

I would still give the midbass edge to the Apogees, but it does not take anything away from the EAs.

And well, they are just easy to place.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Excellent blog, Bonzo75. I really enjoyed reading it, and it gives a new and different perspective of Mike's system. It is clear that the dedication and effort Mike has given to his interest in audio, but really to his love of music, is of an exceptionally high level. Having the means is not enough. It is the endless curiosity and willingness to learn and improve which have made the biggest difference, it seems to me. I particularly appreciate the comments about the two cartridges and their different sounds.

As I read those comments, and your wavering preference for each with the different recordings, I made me think about something I have found when comparing my cartridges, namely VTA. I don't think that Mike adjusts VTA for different LPs. Given that, do you suppose that one cartridge MIGHT have sounded slightly better than the other on a given LP simply because the VTA for that stylus cut and particular LP cutting angle was a better match? I have no idea, and perhaps that is a discussion topic for another thread.

You also answered a question about which I have been curious. It is now quite obvious why you chose your moniker. Did anyone else catch that?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Anna was better only on all piano, and one violin concerto

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
You also answered a question about which I have been curious. It is now quite obvious why you chose your moniker. Did anyone else catch that?

yes; a classical lover who's moniker not only refers to an ultimate rocker, but the year he was most on top of his game.

after I played 'In My Time Of Dying' this was explained to me with much passion.

how can you argue with this musical perspective?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
As I read those comments, and your wavering preference for each with the different recordings, I made me think about something I have found when comparing my cartridges, namely VTA. I don't think that Mike adjusts VTA for different LPs. Given that, do you suppose that one cartridge MIGHT have sounded slightly better than the other on a given LP simply because the VTA for that stylus cut and particular LP cutting angle was a better match? I have no idea, and perhaps that is a discussion topic for another thread.

the Durand Telos (both standard and Sapphire) is not 'adjust VTA for every cut' friendly. but in that trade-off you get over-the-top solidity.

my guess (and experience) is that the trade-off is not close as to which side wins....which is why it's done that way.

YMMV, just my 2 cents, and all that stuff. I know we sometimes view some issues like religion.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
the Durand Telos (both standard and Sapphire) is not 'adjust VTA for every cut' friendly. but in that trade-off you get over-the-top solidity.

my guess (and experience) is that the trade-off is not close as to which side wins....which is why it's done that way.

YMMV, just my 2 cents, and all that stuff. I know we sometimes view some issues like religion.

Owning the SME, I know all about difficulty in adjusting VTA and the importance of rigidity/solidity. SME takes the same position on azimuth. And I agree with the adjustability versus solidity trade-off. It is hard or impossible to have both. I favor solidity, and am glad that there is some adjustability, even if difficult. But I also appreciate the improvements that slight VTA differences can make, so I adjust accordingly. It is a pain.

I have found that a religious experience, or something very close (religion in a barn?), can sometimes be had when everything, soundwise, is optimized. That's just being puckish, but I know what you mean. And, from reports, you have achieved it.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Mike’s set up was better. The only thing is I cannot dissociate it from the room yet.

As you know, the Apogee Grands we both heard, had a big room, and were based on literally free cables, and electronics that would collectively cost less than one of Mike’s cables.

That said, I don’t think the Apogees would have been able to produce what Mike’s system did with even that level of gear, though at the same time, what would sound better in more “average” room conditions? The MM3 can fit a smaller room than the Full Range (both have the same street price), so they can fit a Duetta room as well, and should be better.

I think how good they are can be best verified by those in the US visiting someone like edorr, who has Mike’s ex-MM3s in a small room.

I would still give the midbass edge to the Apogees, but it does not take anything away from the EAs.

And well, they are just easy to place.

Hi bonzo!

Just a quick heads up, as I see you've just passed through San Diego... We have the MM3 (w/ EXACT modules) here in the store, with a choice of amps (tube or SS) as well as digital/analog. Next time you're in town, you're more than welcome to stop by!

I do know the MM3s well, and they'll work with just about any room. I've friends back in Brazil with a pair of MM2s sitting in what looks like a closet, and it still sounds lovely, once they got them properly positioned. So, more important is 1) positioning, 2) setup of the bass adjustments and 3) partnering components.

Of course, once those three points are nailed, you can still work on the room to get that last bit of performance :)

Hope next time you're in town you can stop by!

cheers,
alex

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow Alex. West coast travel is seriously arduous but you have got me thinking

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Great report Ked. I really enjoyed reading it, I think you (and now us!) are having a great time, but you being carried away of your primary mission - build a system for yourself!

bonzo75 said:
Next steps will be to isolate components. Listen to MM3, compare the Darts with some other component. For those asking, I don’t like to comment on components with ABing, so there is not a lot I can say about the Darts.

IMHO, in this hobby it is not possible to isolate components when we are addressing the ultimate performance of a system such as Mike's one. Just see that he managed to get the lifelike music of tubes in his solid state system just by a small change in speaker and listener positioning and a few ground straps! Most of the time you will be mostly listening to the expertise of the person who set the system. It is like live music - great musicians rehearse hundreds of hours to offer us a great recital!

I have the feeling that my recent DCS acquisition destroyed the equilibrium that I had got for the last few years in my system. Some aspects improved significantly, but it is still missing the balance and exquisite fine tuning that I had with previous system. Unfortunately the rebuild of the room ceiling will be postponing any final decisions and serious fine tuning for a couple of months.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
It was a fun night and if it were not for an impending migraine rapidly approaching, I would have closed the bar down with yall!

I have been listening to Mikes kit for almost two years now and I can say without question, this last arsenal of adjustments has been truly magical. Hate using that word but it is what it is.

Anyhow, Mikes system is one of the best kits on this orb that we live on. The kit sounds fantastic no matter where you are in the room, but when you hit that chair the magic happens and you almost have to close your eyes because there is confusion as your eyes want to see what your ears are hearing.
You want to see Dean leaning on the piano with a cigarette and a bourbon in his hand, you want to see the string section, you want to see Bonham beating the hell out of those toms, but they are not there.

Mike you should be, and I think you are, very proud of what you have created and the hospitality that you extend. Your kit is without question a final destination of What's Best in music reproduction.

Great read and a great report that confirms everything that I heard on 2 separate visits to Mike's barn. Kudos indeed Mike

Liberating read, thank you, I very much needed that. Deserves all the peace and respect to this all music adventurer, the high flying Mike.

thanks Mike, Steve and Bob. I appreciate the kind words.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Very interesting, Mike, and congratulations on your system/set-up! Just these last few days I also experimented with sitting closer to my speakers, and the results are great (I reported on my system thread, link in signature). I thought I am now sitting close to the speakers (8.5 feet, speaker to ear), but you are even closer! Playing with distance of speakers from each other, as you did, also helped in my case.

Your experiences confirm what I had thought for a while, that taking care of set-up can pay rich dividends. In many instances it does so as much as, or more than, upgrades of system components.

it's funny what can happen when you overcome your sensory comfort zones. the significant thing I did to allow ultra near field was back a year ago when I treated my walls for reflections. those pesky reflections would have driven me away from close up listening before. but once those were gone all things were possible. I just had to follow my ears, and then got some help in the last little but important step.

sitting here multitasking the pull of the music (redbook) is so strong and compelling.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Agreed , at this point though I need to make a plug for" quasi" Grounding . Works wonders to free up the sound and detach completely, and I mean on the complex stuff , not girl with guitar .Nicely layered thoughts Mike , just like your soundstage !

true that.....about grounding that is. crossing that boundary from very good to over-the-top suspension of disbelief is a delicate thing and my Tripoint--Entreq treatments get significant credit for that sexy nuance and musical delicacy that is hard to define.

how does one get solid state to sound like tubes?

you have to start out with the most sexy solid state like the dart 458's with their magical 1st watt, then have the ultra easy load MM7's and all that mid bass cone surface for such linearity in that all important frequency range.....reflective glare under control.....uber grounding.....NCF plugs and outlets.....Equi=tech.....etc, etc...

and you have it.

grounding is part of the picture, and when you go for all the gusto leave no stone unturned.

everything matters.

but it can be done.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing