RCR filter - can you verify my calculations

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Hi,

you are looking at my Alpha DAC's analog output (J11 is the female RCA, and the bent pin is the positive):

rcr-filter1.JPG

R245/C185/R246 form an RCR filter (and I have verified that the yellow C185 capacitor's "north" lead connects to ground). If the values of the resistors are 75ohms each and the yellow cap's 1nF, I am calculating a roughly 1MHz corner frequency (1.061MHz to be exact), or is it ~2MHz??? My goal is to lower that frequency with the addition of the white 10nF Vishay cap, which should bring the corner frequency down to 96.5kHz, if the stock cutoff is ~1MHz; otherwise I need to add another 10nF

Can someone verify my calculations?

Thanks

-ack

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
You need to know the driving and load impedances to calculate accurately. Assuming an ideal (0-ohm) source (i.e. U40 is a lo-Z driver) and a hi-Z load then the second resistor in the pi filter is irrelevant and the corner frequency is simply 1 / (2*pi*75*1nF) = 2.122 MHz. Probably to filter out the DAC's clock from the output. The second resistor probably helps isolate the opamp (U40) from the load for both stability and short-circuit protection.

HTH - Don

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks Don; I suspected the second resistor might be irrelevant to the filter calculation (BTW, load impedance is 15K), therefore, indeed the corner frequency is then ~2MHz; I am glad I asked. I also suspect the filter is there to attenuate the clock from the output. So as is, the mod's corner frequency is now at ~193kHz, double my goal's, and I think I still want to go lower.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing