Audiophile Unfriendly New Neighbor Moved In Last Month, Calls the Cops on Me

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
One other point that occurred to me is that peace and quiet is probably a big reason why people move to an area like that. So, it could be unsettling if after moving that instead of hearing birds singing you are being physically assulted with bass. :)

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
At 17kw draw , you lucky they dont complain about power sags .. :)

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
I wish I lived across the street from you Mark, so you would invite me over and feel the bass.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Here's a solution,find another piece of property you like and tell your neighbor you will sell him your property for the cost of your relocation.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I'm still stuck over the db level: 150db? And wearing ear plugs so you don't hurt your ears? That said, for a host of reasons, I am on your side. Had the guy come to you and asked about coming to a solution and worked something out, that would have been one thing. So as long as it is not illegal, keep doing what you are doing and maybe THEY will move!

Cautionary note: given he owns a martial arts business, I would, at all costs, avoid physical confrontation ;)

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
It is a terrible day in American history: The Great Bass Pig has had nasty neighbors move in within close proximity to his Lair. For fifty years, this desolate mountaintop spot was home to the Bass Pig's Lair. But this past summer, someone bought the forest across the road and started clearing land.

They built "McMansions", the first one sold in late September. The new neighbors are not friendly at all. And when I listen to music at the levels I have enjoyed for at least forty years, they call the cops. Mind you, this was at 5:30PM on a Friday afternoon. Another neighbor was operating a big backhoe and moving logs and rocks around at the time, so there was already noise going on in the neighborhood.

Fortunately, the officer was very nice and he even liked the Jazz that I was playing at the time, but the request to 'turn it down a bit' really raises my ire. One doesn't drive a Ferrari to drive at 55mph. I have no intention of curtailing my once or twice a month hour or two of selected music listening for the sake of a haughty former New Yorker who thinks he can move into my forest and dictate how I listen to music. It's not like I do it to the wee hours of the morning every night. It's a rare occurance when I have the house alone and the rest of the family is out shopping at the mall.

This is a redneck area. A few cabins in the woods, a lot of self sufficient types. And then a builder comes in and puts in these out of place upscale houses, which attract the wrong type of people. Yeah, THOSE kinds.. the stuck up, class-divided types, who expect everything and everyone to conform to them. The new neighbors obvious hate us and don't like the 'tarpaper shack' that I live in across the road from where they built. But hey, if they don't like the smell, why move next to a hog farm? They don't even wave to us when they come and go. And they bring a lot of traffic and noise that we never had before.. garbage trucks, gas trucks, frequent deliveries, etc. My peace and quiet is also ruined by them.

So now, every time I listen to music, I will have to be interrupted by a visit from the police. Oh, and they're not my town, either, for the road is a county line and a town line. Our town has no noise ordinance. Maybe that's why the officer was so friendly. I reminded him that it was a Friday and before well 10pm (about 5:40PM actually) and that I have listened to music at these levels for forty of the fifty years that I've owned this property.

It is very disappointing that I have this, er.. neighbor, across the road now. Not only do I have to put up with his traffic and the sight of that house that mars the natural view of the forest (I hate McMansions with the phony porticos and pretend neo colonial look), but that person hasn't the decency to be a proper neighbor and at least approach me in a friendly way about it and possibly come to some agreement. No.. instead his first action is to call the police and complain. I'm very tempted to put on some of the worst RAP at 9PM just to spite them.

My investment in a 17,000 watt sound system is so that I can enjoy BASS. That interlopers move into my territory and expect me to change my ways is, unrealistic. A war is coming. I reckon next weekend they'll call the cops again, and it will escalate. I have no intention of curtailing my enjoyment. Their very presence offends my senses, and their fancy real estate will increase my taxes as well.

So what do you 'Bass Pigs' do about new neighbors that don't conform to your way of life?

Mark, Really nice test bench you have there! Any pics of your system? Would love to see those subs/amps.....thx

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I must have overlooked that last quoted line. Why do your neighbors have to "conform" to your way of life? Seems to me that they have as much right to peace and quiet as you do to play your stereo loudly. Snooping around gathering intel on him is not that great an idea as I bet he has some damn good connections with the powers to be in your general area and if he accuses you of stalking, watch out. Declaring war on those with deeper pockets won't end well for you. You think he is an a-hole. I have no doubt that he feels the same way about you and your Trump sign. Rather than declare war, I would suggest dialogue. As someone who has some experience with local government, I can assure you that your complaints about not being able to play your system at ear splitting levels will not find a receptive audience or any sympathy. You need to find some middle ground here.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Mark there any number of rock musicians who have damaged their hearing beyond repair through long and close exposure to very loud music. Roger Daltrey for example recently admitted that he was as deaf as a post.
I can't think of a worse fate for an audiophile!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Insulate your house, and keep the doors and windows closed. I did that, and I also go outside at night to make sure the sound isn't leaking, and can be heard past my property line. Once your sound crosses the property line it becomes a public nuisance.

Did the same thing. ASC window plugs or other window shutters all over my listening room. But I never listen above 95 dBa (97 dBa max on rare orchestral climaxes) because I don't want to damage my ears:

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

For rock I don't go beyond 90 dBa because it's continuous level. Sounds plenty loud with the impact (not just bass) my system has.

150 dB, sound a quarter mile down the road? That's crazy. No wonder the neighbor complains.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..so I assume your wife is also either a "bass pig" or deaf? I also assume she's given up on soufflés..

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
An alternate point if view of the neighbor is he might be saying to himself "why the hell would I want to talk with a neighbor who thinks its OK to play music so loud it can be heard 1/4 mile away?"

I live in a rural area where sound travels, and deal with the occasional party being held with music or PA loud enough to make my evening suck. Never fun. Fortunately only happens a few times during summer months. 150dB within a 1/4 mile in a remote area would make it hard to ignore and I would consider 'unreasonable volume'. Now that you have neighbors you can't expect them to accept your music volume if it interferes with them hearing each other in their own home.

You also have the right to flail your arms about wildly, but that right stops when your hand reaches my nose—unless my nose is on your property, in which case it would be my responsibilty to move my nose back to my side of the line. But if you hand crosses the property line and hits my nose then the responsibility is yours.

If someone built a house next to your 1/2 acre lot you might well be liable if your music was heard at hearing damaging volumes (@115db, this is about 30 seconds). Someone with financial resources and good attorneys could get a restraining order easily if they recorded your volume at ear damaging levels.

Unfortunatly for you, the responsibility will be yours to either lower the volume or sound proof your home.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
This is the funniest thread EVER on this forum
What's Best?
What's LOUDEST!!!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
There's no way in hell 150db is the volume level outside the house. Not even close.

I believe the question unanswered, still, is how loud are the neighbours hearing it? Would they hear it if they had a fan on? etc..

IMO it's sad if politics got this all started in a bad direction. If that's the only way you're going to judge each other you two deserve the war.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Thats what i call free standing mike , may be you can play some loud elk/deer burling and they will all gather round the barn :D

Bass pigg i think your re stretching it too far , getting the biggest gun might be the solution in the US .
If in europe somebody would play the stereo at those levels , the equipment would be confiscated by the police :D

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I must have overlooked that last quoted line. Why do your neighbors have to "conform" to your way of life? Seems to me that they have as much right to peace and quiet as you do to play your stereo loudly. Snooping around gathering intel on him is not that great an idea as I bet he has some damn good connections with the powers to be in your general area and if he accuses you of stalking, watch out. Declaring war on those with deeper pockets won't end well for you. You think he is an a-hole. I have no doubt that he feels the same way about you and your Trump sign. Rather than declare war, I would suggest dialogue. As someone who has some experience with local government, I can assure you that your complaints about not being able to play your system at ear splitting levels will not find a receptive audience or any sympathy. You need to find some middle ground here.

This is pretty close to what I think.... you f&*k with this guy and it's very likely you're going to lose. Physically or otherwise, lol. So, I'd take the route of apologizing to him and working with him. There's no reason you can't play loud Friday/Saturday nights or whatever, but come to an agreement or face the possibility you won't ever get to play loud without penalties. Why don't you show up at his house with a pie and an apology? Welcome him to the neighborhood and eventually bring up your audio hobby and when it would be ok to play loud.

You moved to the country but only bought 1/2 acre... sorry but you can only control what you own. If you wanted to make sure that didn't happen you should have bought the new neighbor's property yourself. I moved to the mountains myself in '99, lived at 9000 ft with a great view of the continental divide. There was one spot we'd go to shoot guns in the forest, but someone bought property nearby and asked us to stop. I didn't like it but most of us did stop, because I didn't buy the property and the truth is it wasn't fair to the landowner. The spot got shut down eventually by the USFS to defend the landowner's right to peace and quiet. I agree with that decision. You may not but be aware you're in the minority and nobody is going to have sympathy for your plight.

Lots of crazy people live in the mountains. I can totally understand not wanting to approach you about the issue, no telling what people will do these days. Too many nutcases, too many hard drugs, it's sad but that's what it is.

As far as the Hillary sign, it means nothing. We don't have the information to make reasonable decisions these days, and neither do you. Hillary could be a saint or a criminal, I have no idea and neither do you. Trump though, is obviously a con-man but might have been the right choice... I doubt it but I don't know and neither do you. Your neighbor probably has no clue about Hillary either. It's simply human nature to make decisions based on whatever "facts" we think we have, however misguided. I find keeping an open mind to be much easier. If you're going to judge over politics then IDK what to say... All Trump supporters aren't racists and all Hillary supporters aren't communists. Give people the benefit of the doubt.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
It is interesting that there is 17k worth of equip in a tarpaper shack.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing