Upgrading interconnect

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
How much difference can an interconnect make? I am a big believer in power cords and broke the bank for a Nordost Valhalla 2 for my EMM Labs XDS1-V2 CDp; although I can't really describe the benefits it looks good. I was more conservative on interconnect, using the hybrid and very good Kimber KS 1126 balanced connecting to an ARC Ref 5se. All was good until my dealer advertised a used KS 1136, silver wire, top of the line, new 3489€, but for less than half price. So I plugged it in on test thinking it would be bright, but no. That upgrade produces more benefit than my move from a Ref 5 to SE. Amazing liquidity, weight, holographic sound, extended bass, leaving me wondering what else is left to do? Maybe it's because, as I read, Meitner uses Kimber wire in his components. Anyway I wonder if anyone has experienced such a profound change with one .75 meter piece of wire?

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
How much difference can an interconnect make? I am a big believer in power cords and broke the bank for a Nordost Valhalla 2 for my EMM Labs XDS1-V2 CDp; although I can't really describe the benefits it looks good. I was more conservative on interconnect, using the hybrid and very good Kimber KS 1126 balanced connecting to an ARC Ref 5se. All was good until my dealer advertised a used KS 1136, silver wire, top of the line, new 3489€, but for less than half price. So I plugged it in on test thinking it would be bright, but no. That upgrade produces more benefit than my move from a Ref 5 to SE. Amazing liquidity, weight, holographic sound, extended bass, leaving me wondering what else is left to do? Maybe it's because, as I read, Meitner uses Kimber wire in his components. Anyway I wonder if anyone has experienced such a profound change with one .75 meter piece of wire?

Yes, the most significant interconnect IMO is the digital cable

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Yes, the most significant interconnect IMO is the digital cable

well........for those whose world includes vinyl; the phono cable, dealing with a .14mv-.5mv signal, dwarfs the effect of any other cable. having recently upgraded my USB cable I do agree that those cables make differences....but not nearly as much as phono cables.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
well........for those whose world includes vinyl; the phono cable, dealing with a .14mv-.5mv signal, dwarfs the effect of any other cable. having recently upgraded my USB cable I do agree that those cables make differences....but not nearly as much as phono cables.

I limit myself to phono and CD player and have always taken more care with interconnect to the CDp in hopes of eliminating any digital nasties. I use the stock phono cable which came with the SME Ser. 5 arm which I think is Van Den Hul, which seems to perform very well. You don't get digital nasties with phono.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Yeah, copper interconnect cables are always going to be a major bottleneck... IC cables make a major difference in the resolution of a system, and hence it's clarity, soundstage, precision of imaging and realistic overtones/timbre of voices and acoustic instruments. There's big differences within silver as well, 4N isn't so great, 5N is good, UPOCC (6N+) is even better and darn close to perfect... and the new OCC silver/gold alloy is like UPOCC silver with more realistic timbre.

An otherwise good system can go from decent to world class with good cables, power and grounding. Grounding includes power distribution system and cables, possibly more but if the cables and power distribution are done properly you shouldn't need additional grounding. I've experienced it MANY times!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I limit myself to phono and CD player and have always taken more care with interconnect to the CDp in hopes of eliminating any digital nasties. I use the stock phono cable which came with the SME Ser. 5 arm which I think is Van Den Hul, which seems to perform very well. You don't get digital nasties with phono.

A while back I had a SME 20/2 SME IV.Vi arm and that vdh cable. Then I tried a Graham IC50, then a purist or 3 (a few diff models), then a Transparent. I'm with Mike, you have a potentially serious upgrade awaiting your phono section by replacing the arm cable. I'd put it up there with a cartridge upgrade depending on how good of a cable you get...

Good luck

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
A while back I had a SME 20/2 SME IV.Vi arm and that vdh cable. Then I tried a Graham IC50, then a purist or 3 (a few diff models), then a Transparent. I'm with Mike, you have a potentially serious upgrade awaiting your phono section by replacing the arm cable. I'd put it up there with a cartridge upgrade depending on how good of a cable you get...

Good luck

Agreed about that possibility since the upgrade with the CDp IC produced a change that could have come with a seriously upgraded preamp but it was just the IC that made the difference. At this time however I am satisfied with my SME 20 with Ser. V arm and wiring since it is already the equal or better in some respects than my CDp, which is considerably more expensive. That surprises me particularly since I am using a mid-range Transparent IC between phono stage and preamp. As Dave wrote an IC can upgrade a system from good to world class, and sometimes not even the most exotic cable. Synergy? Now I am thinking of another KS 1136 on the phono stage to preamp route, but right now everything sounds good. That brings up a question, are we ever satisfied?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing