the Best Cables known around.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
I would never buy cables without trying a full set - speaker and ICs - in the system for a few days. I can imagine this will be a problem to you, as it is for me - due to customs it is not possible to ask for loans from the US. It is why I am currently looking mostly at European manufactured cables or cables with local distribution.

I am currently using the complete set of the Crystal Dreamline - full bodied, plenty of detail and air, never fatiguing. But it does not have the slam and energy of the Valhalla1 or 2. An excellent match with the Audio Research, perhaps too warm for the conrad johnson's.

Long ago I had great experiences with Avalon and Audio Research using the old XLO signature cables - the grey/purple Signature 5.1 was even more stiff than the Van den Hul Cumulus I am trying!

+1

The only way to truly audition cables is with the full loom. Not all cables will integrate well when mixed. Sometimes you may get lucky. But you can't truly tell which cables are improving or degrading the sound. All the cables interact with each other. We had tried integrating a MasterBuilt power cord on a preamp where the 2 mono-blocks had another brand of PC's. The sound went for the worse. It was only when all the PC's were replaced with the MB cables that the sound was best.

So just because someone pops in an interconnect in to a system with other cable brands and the sound go's for the worse, it doesn't mean that the interconnect is not as good or better than the cables in the rest of the system. They all effect each other.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
I didn't intend it to be (yet another) MB Cables thread.
we got plenty of them in the recent few months. (enjoy them! i have nothing to say further)
i Can't audition them!, and (sorry for that) will not buy them especially for "resale" Value reason around me (no-one know them, not a little bit! btw - when i search some details at the MB site - i saw we have a local dealer. i was never saw one cable in Israel, not to mention an add for those. and yes i know all of them - i guess it because he is the VSA dealer... he got their name also. )

I just was asking for direction relying on one experience.
i know its hard to suggest a brand or a model for someone, but some of the caricatures or differences between those cables is easy i guess, for someone who heard them against each other.

thank you all for the time and effort to help... (those who actually tried :) )

i think i will continue with my recent "love" for Siltech and buy some of those for Balance use also.
thanks again.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
All good cables should sound exactly alike.

Yup. Just like all good amps, pre-amps, CDP's, TT's, and speakers should all sound exactly alike.

And though many would stake their lives that all sound alike and maybe even claim all are transparent to the source signal. They are not.

If two products sound exactly alike more than once in a blue moon, it's most likely a personal problem. Either with the ears or with the system or both.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing