YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Probably need a spare normal soldering implement in case it breaks down :D

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I need to get a Metcal... well, I want one but I'm not getting into that till I'm more setup permanently.

I prefer a dial for temp turning unless you can preset a few. The Metcal's are interesting since they don't need to have temp adjust.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
its german made dont think so:D ( hope so )

I hope not, but it would still be a good idea to prepare just in case you need to troubleshoot it one day.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Fortunately my old temperature controlled Weller WECP 20 is still working perfectly. And if it breaks I can service it easily myself - old analog, no digital circuits http://remotesmart.wikidot.com/weller-wecp-20 !

BruceB will tell us - it is like a Studer 80!

BTW, are you going to use a digital soldering station in your tape recorders? :D

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
NO i leave soldering on my tape machines to a professional restorer, besides yours aint a 95 watt iron ;)
You got ta go with the the development i got nothing against digital , this is a good digital handtool too , which we use a lot at work more precise then older stuff and much easier to use , works fine just needs a factory reset may be every year

http://www.pruftechnik.com/us/adwor...ms-shaft/optalign-rs5/optalign-smart-rs5.html

Last edited:

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I just treated myself to a 140watt JBC station. This model has the heating element in the tip which guves greater temperature stability during soldering as well as faster warm up time.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I just treated myself to a 140watt JBC station. This model has the heating element in the tip which guves greater temperature stability during soldering as well as faster warm up time.
JBC is definitely king of the hill when it comes to soldering stations and hot air. That said, my Hakko works like a dream compared to old wellers that I feel no need to splurge on JBC. Not yet! :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing