WAMM Master Chronosonic by Wilson Audio

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
more like the 911R. it's a pure street car. the ultimate 911. the RS is really a track car.

the 'R' is limited to 991 units.

997 gt3 rs 4.0 was limited to 600 units.
most people slept on that release, so were sure to be awake when 991r was announced, hence mass hysteria that ensued.
4.0 is the grandmaster though.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Yes, but it is a very large speaker, becoming too attractive. I have had the Aida's and the Amati Futura exactly in the same place and just on looks I preferred the Futura by far - perhaps the most elegant and exquisite speaker that I have ever hosted. I had the red and satin chrome version - the perfect combination of both finishes in the proper quantities. Enough metal to highlight the luxury of finish without calling attention to itself.
I like both the apearance and the sound of the Futura, it is definitely in the running to be my next speaker, yet I've read many Internet posts criticizing it?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Roy Gregory about the WAMM in Audiobeat http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/wilson_audio_wamm_mc_1.htm

No speaker system that I have ever heard comes close to re-creating the original event as convincingly as this one.

This is now the second well known reviewer openly repeating this "realism" message.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yeah this pic does them justice more with dave wilson standing beside them , very cool design , the woofer chambers stretch pretty far behind so quite a big box after all and potentially good " natural " bas :D
I personally dont like the bass coming from those little active subwoofer boxes with a big driver in it , havent heard a natural one yet.

One reason could be that the tiny mid is added is to take part of the audio band away from the tweeter , so the tw has it a little easier , you see it also with the alexx , the former maxx 3 uppermid has now been replaced by a smaller one , my guess is that the new tw that is used in these models needs to be crossed higher , to perform well at high spls , the focal inverted dome can probably be crossed much lower

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Does mean the time domain will only be correct at one listening position?

What is the degree of criticality from a perception view point ( i.e. hearing limits)

How does this differ from experience of different listeners viewpoints in a live venue?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Taken from the interview , sounds familiar lol

Hard or Soft
Before listening began, there was one question I was dying to pose. If I had $1000 for each time a speaker manufacturer has made a point of contrasting his hard-dome, ultra-hard-dome, or super-ultra-hard-dome tweeter with Wilson's soft, silk-domed tweeters, I'd have enough money to buy a pair of Alexxes. Hence, I asked Dave and Daryl, "How can your tweeters have anywhere near the resolution of hard-dome tweeters that have taken years to develop?"

Dave: "I do find it interesting when people look at things in terms of speed. I've been in this field a long time, since the first solid-state amplifiers came out and were considered better than tubes because they were faster. If someone has a problem with silk-dome tweeters but they play vinyl through vacuum tubes, there's a certain inconsistency there.

"In the final analysis, it's what you like. One of the things about a soft diaphragm is that when it goes into break-up mode, it breaks up softly and gradually, like soft clipping. A rigid diaphragm has some real benefits, especially if it's light, but when it goes into break-up mode, it's harsh.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

What is the degree of criticality from a perception view point ( i.e. hearing limits)

How does this differ from experience of different listeners viewpoints in a live venue?

I have not heard Wilson's version,but on any good recording the "sweet spot" is expanded, where I can be at either extreme side and still hear the complete recording. I think it is closer to live given the wall of sound created and dynamics.speed,richness,ambient retrieval.nuance are all improved,especially the lower frequencies.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Roy Gregory about the WAMM in Audiobeat http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/wilson_audio_wamm_mc_1.htm

No speaker system that I have ever heard comes close to re-creating the original event as convincingly as this one.

This is now the second well known reviewer openly repeating this "realism" message.

For 650k, shouldn't it? I mean, how many other 650k speakers even exist that Roy has heard. He obviously had the Vox which was only a mere 400k as I recall.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

I have the same question actually and when I heard the Alexx, I couldn't help to feel it had a narrower sweet spot than prior Wilsons. Dave Wilson's "obsession about time" in that JS listening summary while still creating a non-time/phase coherent speaker kinda puzzles me as well.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

The Audiobeat article answers in part to your question:

A speaker like the Living Voice Vox Olympian captures the sense of presence and energy like no other, but the WAMM MC’s combination of bandwidth, resolution and temporal accuracy re-creates the recorded acoustic with a natural ease that is uncanny and utterly unforced, placing you at (within) the original event. That temporal and spatial precision combined with the system’s overall sensitivity makes for a beautifully scaled and expressive presentation, but the thing that really got to me was this speaker’s natural perspective. Performers weren’t just the size that you expected them to be; they were in exactly the right place too. But more than that, move back in terms of seating position (Dave Wilson's room offers three rows of seats) and the balance between direct and reflected energy alters exactly as it does in the concert hall -- and I’ve never heard a speaker system do that.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
If I had the means I'd take the YG Acoustics Sonja XV and buy a 488 GTB Spider with the difference saved :- ).

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
If I had the means I'd take the YG Acoustics Sonja XV and buy a 488 GTB Spider with the difference saved :- ).

Now you're talking.....the spider for sure,I don't need speakers.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Living in a place with severe traffic, bumpy roads and where roads are decent a strictly enforced 100kph limit and ohn no long race tracks, I'll take the speakers. AT least I can floor those!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Living in a place with severe traffic, bumpy roads and where roads are decent a strictly enforced 100kph limit and ohn no long race tracks, I'll take the speakers. AT least I can floor those!
Nevada highway 50 is the place...to floor it!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

I believe most of the future WAMM owners have that already covered :)

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I believe most of the future WAMM owners have that already covered :)

At these prices cost effectiveness is not an issue

Dave Wilson take a "bow"

Retirement benefit...............forthcoming :)

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Bit worried its so ugly ...that Steve has to listened in the dark........oops............ouch lol

Pan-galatic goggles anyone ........lol

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

Most of the WAMM purchasers won't blink at the price just as they didn't blink when they pulled their 918 next to their LaFerrari. It's not an either or proposition.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing