WAMM Master Chronosonic by Wilson Audio

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
But yes, Maxx's, X2's and XLFs (and SoundLabs's) are large monsters. No way to ignore it!
I think the Aida is a very attractive speaker

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
By watching the video on the linked thread,it looks like this design is all about time domain correction. If it is engineered with that capability and actually succeeds by my experience it should be "world class". Now whether the price of admission is worth it is another question,but if it produces a true enhanced soundfield,and you have money to burn it might be worth it. Just my 2 cents

I would be interested if somebody with a good connection with Wilson talked to him about this design and asked him what sonic difference with the TDC design compared to his past designs was.....

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I'm sure the idea is to make a few too few, than a few too many, to maintain the cache'. it's a halo product which needs to be precious to keep that position.

Cache is not the only consideration. Production of the WAMM's will shut down all other production in their facility. Those lost opportunity costs must be recovered too.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Cache is not the only consideration. Production of the WAMM's will shut down all other production in their facility. Those lost opportunity costs must be recovered too.

I heard that as well Jim

That is why WA was pumping out their smaller speakers over this past 6 months because as you stated the entire facility will shut down production of all other speakers while the WAMM's are being constructed

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think the Aida is a very attractive speaker

Yes, but it is a very large speaker, becoming too attractive. I have had the Aida's and the Amati Futura exactly in the same place and just on looks I preferred the Futura by far - perhaps the most elegant and exquisite speaker that I have ever hosted. I had the red and satin chrome version - the perfect combination of both finishes in the proper quantities. Enough metal to highlight the luxury of finish without calling attention to itself.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, but it is a very large speaker, becoming too attractive. I have had the Aida's and the Amati Futura exactly in the same place and just on looks I preferred the Futura by far - perhaps the most elegant and exquisite speaker that I have ever hosted. I had the red and satin chrome version - the perfect combination of both finishes in the proper quantities. Enough metal to highlight the luxury of finish without calling attention to itself.

I used to have the SF Strads, and they were gorgeous imho, works of art that complemented the living room. The mighty Wilsons are black piano gloss obelisks, but there is no question they are technology.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I used to have the SF Strads, and they were gorgeous imho, works of art that complemented the living room. The mighty Wilsons are black piano gloss obelisks, but there is no question they are technology.

I owned the Kharma Exquisite Reference 1D's......which is a fabulous sounding and looking speaker. some don't care for them in pictures (look too much like a jukebox at first glance), but they always captivate any who viewed them in person, and added to the organic humanity of the decor. elegant as hell. they would dress up any living room....my wife still misses them. no doubt my massive twin tower MM7's are simply too big in-room to be pretty, but close your eyes and they take hold of you in their total caress. the Kharma's are not in that sonic league.

if you desire a speaker system that will not be limiting to your sonic dreams, your visual comfort zone will be challenged.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) if you desire a speaker system that will not be limiting to your sonic dreams, your visual comfort zone will be challenged.

Regretfully yes...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I owned the Kharma Exquisite Reference 1D's......which is a fabulous sounding and looking speaker. some don't care for them in pictures (look too much like a jukebox at first glance), but they always captivate any who viewed them in person, and added to the organic humanity of the decor. elegant as hell. they would dress up any living room....my wife still misses them. no doubt my massive twin tower MM7's are simply too big in-room to be pretty, but close your eyes and they take hold of you in their total caress. the Kharma's are not in that sonic league.

if you desire a speaker system that will not be limiting to your sonic dreams, your visual comfort zone will be challenged.

Three letters: Yep. ;) I have (long) thought about 4-tower systems...i have heard the mighty genesis 1.1s and the Tidal Sunray + tower subs...but i think the closest we come today is the big Wilson Xs with a sub (for which i am truly grateful)...and [maybe] the Arrakis in the Wilson's place since the footprint is not too different and our new room can take them. Sadly, i think the Genesis 1s are for another day and another room.

enjoy your system...not just a treat of SOTA equipment, but clearly a feat of human determination to build a 'true system' from beginning to end with no compromises in between!

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Despite all the negative talk why not respect that somebody / company goes through the effort of making something special

How about respecting someone's opinion? I have nothing against Wilsons (I've heard many that sound great) but boy can one feel the bias... Give the guy a break..

And why should one "respect" a company for making a high end product? Are they doing it at 0% profit? Are they donating proceeds to worthy causes? It's a company making profit for its own benefit and likely partially for Dave's ears...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Would be interesting to compare the new Wamm's with the new YG Sonja XV's... not sure which are more costly, but I expect the Wamm's will be.
Years ago,I had the opportunity to hear an older pair of Wamm's...I remember thinking at the time that DW must have had a specific reason for positioning them the way he did...wasn't obvious to me why though??

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
How about respecting someone's opinion? I have nothing against Wilsons (I've heard many that sound great) but boy can one feel the bias... Give the guy a break..

And why should one "respect" a company for making a high end product? Are they doing it at 0% profit? Are they donating proceeds to worthy causes? It's a company making profit for its own benefit and likely partially for Dave's ears...

Really

Perhaps he should make them for everyone and give them away. But what the heck it's high end product. Your questions and comment are part and parcel of another forum on the internet

TitaniumTroy

Jan 11, 2011
South Bend IN
So what is the price of the new WAMM speakers? I am reading the other thread in the Wilson forum, but it's kinda long and haven't found it yet. Hope this speaker will be at the 2017 AXPONA, as I will be there. I heard WA this year at AXPONA, lots of people trying to get in that room.

Well at least my thread has gathered more posts here than that other forum. I figured it would given there are more Wilson Audio fans here like Steve and probably more members too.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Three letters: Yep. ;) I have (long) thought about 4-tower systems...i have heard the mighty genesis 1.1s and the Tidal Sunray + tower subs...but i think the closest we come today is the big Wilson Xs with a sub (for which i am truly grateful)...and [maybe] the Arrakis in the Wilson's place since the footprint is not too different and our new room can take them. Sadly, i think the Genesis 1s are for another day and another room.

enjoy your system...not just a treat of SOTA equipment, but clearly a feat of human determination to build a 'true system' from beginning to end with no compromises in between!

thank you Lloyd, for the kind words....especially the 'determination' part. having the right pieces only gets you so far.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . not just a treat of SOTA equipment, but clearly a feat of human determination to build a 'true system' from beginning to end with no compromises in between!

That was very nicely written, Lloyd!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing