WAMM Master Chronosonic by Wilson Audio

TitaniumTroy

Jan 11, 2011
South Bend IN
http://www.audiosalon.com/brands/wilson-audio/wamm-master-chronosonic/
Well I don't know about the sound, but definitely not the most graceful looking speaker out there by any means. Talk about your large Transformer looking robots, this has to be their leader. The name even matches the speakers looks as in big and clunky.Or are they more Dr. Who type robots, take me to your leader Dave Wilson.

Also, I've never been a fan of the large Wilson's sound. Or their design, lots of sharp angles, those vibrating wing's, non chamfered bass ports, boomy bass, etc...

At the audio shows Dave likes his speakers spaced pretty wide(try 11'), trying to get that big concert hall effect he likes. Such as when he goes to visit this place https://www.musikverein.at I thought I liked a big sound with my Magnepan's, dang.

While Magnepan's with True Ribbon Tweet's are a favorite, I prefer Monkey Coffin speakers more along the lines of Vivid, YG Acoustics, and perhaps JBL's 4367 when I can get a chance to hear them. Or maybe those top of the line Gryphon's, Ron Resnik has now that is an impressive looking speaker to me.

I do really like some of their youtube videos, very professional looking. Despite my comments above not trying to be a troll/hater here, I just wanted to see what the forum thinks about the new WAMM? I probably have just not heard the large models in a properly set up room.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Also, I've never been a fan of the large Wilson's sound. Or their design, lots of sharp angles, those vibrating wing's, non chamfered bass ports, boomy bass, etc...

Really??
Not sure where you ever heard vibrating wings or boomy bass. I've owned Wilson for 25 years and those descriptors you use i have never heard in my system.

As for the speaker's looks, I could care less. I always listen with the lights off.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Really??
Not sure where you ever heard vibrating wings or boomy bass. I've owned Wilson for 25 years and those descriptors you use i have never heard in my system.

As for the speaker's looks, I could care less. I always listen with the lights off.

..there's an analogy regarding the opposite sex but I'm not about to touch it :D

Steve Williams

BTW,Troy

I saw that you had posted the same thread in another website and saw comments that resale on the speaker will be pennies on the dollar. IMO another ludicrous claim. A for spreading the speakers 11 feet apart what is the problem there. Are you suggesting the speakers should be closer together and listened to in near field?

In my last house my speakers were 11 feet apart with me sitting 12 feet back. In my present room with a smaller room my speakers are 10 feet apart and I sit 12 feet back. I haven't heard the speaker but my expectation bias is that it will perform in an exemplary fashion. With 100 ever being made and with it being Dave's magnum opus with it 5 years in the making I would doubt you will ever see them in the resale market and if you do I seriously doubt it will be for pennies on the dollar.

Of course all coming from a biased Wilson owner for the past 25 years

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
TT , There is a thread already about the new wamm on the wilson thread.

i deleted it but i put it back :D

Despite all the negative talk why not respect that somebody / company goes through the effort of making something special

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Despite all the negative talk why not respect that somebody / company goes through the effort of making something special

i completely agree. It might be OK to make those statements on that other website without anyone questioning the post but here on WBF I felt compelled to answer as I thought the OP was over the top.

The speaker modules are so versatile and well controlled that it would be difficult to understand the speaker performing in an inferior fashion

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I probably have just not heard the large models in a properly set up room.

IMHO no forum debate can compensate for it.

Although extrapolating sound quality is a very risky and probably useless exercise, considering the products David Wilson has given us along decades, particularly the XLF that I have reasonable experience with, I can say that my expectations are very high.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
BTW,Troy

I saw that you had posted the same thread in another website and saw comments that resale on the speaker will be pennies on the dollar. IMO another ludicrous claim. A for spreading the speakers 11 feet apart what is the problem there. Are you suggesting the speakers should be closer together and listened to in near field?

In my last house my speakers were 11 feet apart with me sitting 12 feet back. In my present room with a smaller room my speakers are 10 feet apart and I sit 12 feet back. I haven't heard the speaker but my expectation bias is that it will perform in an exemplary fashion. With 100 ever being made and with it being Dave's magnum opus with it 5 years in the making I would doubt you will ever see them in the resale market and if you do I seriously doubt it will be for pennies on the dollar.

Of course all coming from a biased Wilson owner for the past 25 years

I thought there were only going to be 53 pair produced. Fifty for customers, 1 for Dave , 1 for show and not sure what the other was supposed to be for. The people who will be purchasing the speakers will not be concerned about the price or resale value. It will not be a either purchase the WAMM or purchase something else. They will purchase the WAMM and still be able to purchase anything else they desire too.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
I thought there were only going to be 53 pair produced. Fifty for customers, 1 for Dave , 1 for show and not sure what the other was supposed to be for. The people who will be purchasing the speakers will not be concerned about the price or resale value. It will not be a either purchase the WAMM or purchase something else. They will purchase the WAMM and still be able to purchase anything else they desire too.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?16546-New-WAMM-details&p=416901#post416901

See post #289.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

Steve Williams

I remember reading that post but at the Wilson event at Paragon on November the 3rd I was told the number was now going to be 53. Not sure why there is conflicting information. Larry indicated that he might have a customer who is interested,

Jim

Is there an option on the speaker to buy it with separate bass towers.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I'm still not sure there is a lot of competition for the Alexandrias/Lamm ML3 Combo.

I am not a Wilson fan, never bonded with any of the smaller Wilson speakers, but I won't argue with results, and the larger Wilsons have been consistently best in the shows I have attended and Steve's "old" setup in Danville with the Alexandria/ML3's. I still haven't heard his new setup in SoCal, which everybody seems to think is even better.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I remember reading that post but at the Wilson event at Paragon on November the 3rd I was told the number was now going to be 53. Not sure why there is conflicting information. Larry indicated that he might have a customer who is interested,

I'm sure the idea is to make a few too few, than a few too many, to maintain the cache'. it's a halo product which needs to be precious to keep that position.

Steve Williams

I'm sure the idea is to make a few too few, than a few too many, to maintain the cache'. it's a halo product which needs to be precious to keep that position.

It's no different than the limited edition speakers made by companies such as Magicos M Project

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Although I like the Wilson sound, the looks up and down the line are certainly among the least appealling in the high-end speaker world.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

IMHO 53 pairs is not a "few" considering such high price. Other manufacturers also have had limited series with similar quantities at around one fifth the price or less and we can easily find a pair if we want now, even at a reduced price.

I can not imagine any other manufacturer than Wilson Audio having such ambition.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Although I like the Wilson sound, the looks up and down the line are certainly among the least appealling in the high-end speaker world.

Most of the time people think about Wilson's in black. After I saw them in their more exquisite colors, well blended in the decoration of rooms,I changed my opinion. No more shoe box speakers anymore.

My ex-red Wilson Puppy 7's are really looking great in their new home... So great that the owner is not authorized to change!

But yes, Maxx's, X2's and XLFs (and SoundLabs's) are large monsters. No way to ignore it!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
By watching the video on the linked thread,it looks like this design is all about time domain correction. If it is engineered with that capability and actually succeeds by my experience it should be "world class". Now whether the price of admission is worth it is another question,but if it produces a true enhanced soundfield,and you have money to burn it might be worth it. Just my 2 cents

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
IMHO 53 pairs is not a "few" considering such high price. Other manufacturers also have had limited series with similar quantities at around one fifth the price or less and we can easily find a pair if we want now, even at a reduced price.

I can not imagine any other manufacturer than Wilson Audio having such ambition.

yes; but consider how many serious brick and mortar Wilson dealers there are. no other brand has such strong dealers and so the expectations for Wilson are the highest. no other brand could do 53....

will it be 1 average per dealer, or 2 average per dealer?

the real customers are....the dealers...after all.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing