Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Spending some time last week with more UltraAnalogue Recordings. What a week.

battery vs voltage regulator

when live master tape recording, the quality of mic's pre amp is more important than the recording amp, but doing the master copy the repro amp is most important that make copies sound closer to the master tape quality, in this Paganini caprices recording we replaced a pair WE 300B 1956 NOS in mic pre amp that reach a level which we near had before, and in master copy, we used a battery power supply to the Studer A80's repro amp instead of the stock voltage regulated power supply for master tape play back. people who have the Paganini tape can compare to other of our recordings will under stand what I try to say
    tony ma
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member Sponsor [Industry Expert]
    Just finished - DC battery supply to the record & playback boards of the Studer A80s....

They combine to create an incredibly beautiful, refined, natural soundscape....

New recording session with Tatsuki & Yun-Yang, in a few days, from Feb 9-12 will be using these!

Ed
    Name:  battery1.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  496.9 KBName:  battery2.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  637.9 KB

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    I can't wait to hear those new upcoming performances. Thanks Ed !
    Christian

System Gear

Addicted to Best!
    very cool
    so much fun to try, but too little time......should just retire really...
    presently I have some down time, due to installation of Rod Coleman 300B filament regulators

Do audiophile really need recording by themselves today ?

Audiophiles in today looking for tape because some thing vinyl does not have, but quality of recording is the first issue , if copy by themselves from digital or vinyl or other tape will not be the point , should be to make your own live master recording or just listen other master dub . We started this hobby by a Studer A80 in stock amp (both record and repro) but found improvement by modification (sorry to Studer fins) which include redesign by tubes in circuits and replaces by high quality caps in stock circuit too, and finally found battery power supply also doing the best job.
    Last Saturday We did a Tatsuki Narida and YY Li concert live recording which is the first master tape in battery power supply recording after we listen to the tape and noticed that is the highest quality which we don't have before, also the programme is supper ( Beethoven violin sonata no. 3,5,8, Hungarian Dances no.5,6, Zigeunerweisen, and encore end by Medetation ). watch the copies coming out you will love them no matter you are a classical music fin or not
    tony ma

Member Sponsor [Industry Expert]
    Quote Originally Posted by rockitman View Post
    I can't wait to hear those new upcoming performances. Thanks Ed !
    I've just released 3 new tapes which had their masters recorded with the DC battery supply... results in a very beautiful soundscape with very natural timbres & overtones of the violin & piano..

Tatsuki Narita & Yun-Yang Lee - LIVE in concert...

1) Beethoven Violin Sonata No.3 & Sarasate Zigeunerweisen
    2) Beethoven Violin Sonata No.5 & Brahms Hungarian Dances No.5&6
    3) Beethoven Violin Sonata No.8 & 2 Encores - Sarasate Zapateado, Massenet Meditation

EdName:  BatteryRecordPlayback1.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  722.9 KB

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234