Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: REL No. 25

use a pair of REL gibralter G1s - sealed box & AB Amp not the usual ported / bash plate amp all boom & thud used in home cimema
    usually don,t hear them at all X/over @ 35hz until deep bass arrives & then deep , quick , tuneful LFE & as quick as my Stats

god knows what six of them them sounds like , but of dub or organ music & the floors rattle
    Vertere MG-1 Magic Groove / Vertere SG-1HB Tonearm / Ortofon A95
    Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe - Active Sanders Sound 10c

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    I have not heard the 25 - yet. However, I have heard the 212/SE. In my opinion, it was hugely better than their older downward firing subs, which I always thought were real "thud buckets" every time I heard them. Not so here.
    I have an old downward firing REL, the Storm III. It stands on an ASC subtrap, which makes all the difference -- no "thud bucket" here. There are comments by others on my system thread about the seriously fast bass of high quality in my system.

ASC subtrap:

http://www.acousticsciences.com/products/subtrap

Edit: I would expect that a subtrap would benefit forward firing subs as well. I certainly wouldn't want to live without one anymore, regardless.
    Last edited by Al M.; 11-24-2016 at 02:15 PM.

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    I have an old downward firing REL, the Storm III. It stands on an ASC subtrap, which makes all the difference -- no "thud bucket" here. There are comments by others on my system thread about the seriously fast bass of high quality in my system.

ASC subtrap:

http://www.acousticsciences.com/products/subtrap

Edit: I would expect that a subtrap would benefit forward firing subs as well. I certainly wouldn't want to live without one anymore, regardless.
    Fascinating...i have huge benefits from our Auralex subwoofer isolation platform. But its not 22" off the floor, and with designers like ASC, that is a very compelling solution. I wonder how they compare? by any chance, did you ever look into or speak with anyone about the Auralex subwoofer platform?

The Velodyne DD18+ was too big for it...so i got a different Auralex which is the same design as their Subwoofer platform, but bigger.
    Speaker: Wilson X1 + Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amp: CJ GAT2 + Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: TA Opus Gen5&MM2 + PAD 25th Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches: Under: HRS.Stillpoints.Auralex Top: HRS.Artesania.Entreq.EAT.90kg Mass Damping
    Power/Ground&Shield: 7 x 16A Furutech . Burmester948 . NordostQX4 / Tripoint Troy Sig+Thor . Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex.Mullard
    Headphone: Sennheiser 650 . Arcam rHead . ApogeeGroove

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    Fascinating...i have huge benefits from our Auralex subwoofer isolation platform. But its not 22" off the floor, and with designers like ASC, that is a very compelling solution. I wonder how they compare? by any chance, did you ever look into or speak with anyone about the Auralex subwoofer platform?

The Velodyne DD18+ was too big for it...so i got a different Auralex which is the same design as their Subwoofer platform, but bigger.
    Great to hear that you also have good experiences with a platform under the subwoofer. I had not heard about the Auralex platform before. I wonder if the biggest ASC subtrap (22 inches wide) would be wide enough for a subwoofer as large as yours, but if not I am sure ASC would be willing to make a custom product. They manufacture custom products all the time. -- I use the 18 inch wide subtrap.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123