RIP | What.cd is gone

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
? http://qz.com/840661/what-cd-is-gone-a-eulogy-for-the-greatest-music-collection-in-the-world/

Try to do that with What.lp
______

Yesterday's news is tomorrow's rehabilitation/rejuvenation/reborn. ...The world music library for the owners of its creators...the artist musicians.
We own the owners, the owners own the artists, the artists own the audiences, we are the audiences, we are the artists, we are the owners, it is our own money.
We own our music collections, we own the sharing among our families and friends, they own it all, we own them too, we own their money, we invested our time, they invested their money, we own our own lives, they own us.

It's a way of speech, to make you think, discuss, express your opinion, share your thoughts, live your life freely, take charge, accept your destiny, get up and dance.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Whatever its legal situation, it was clearly the most extensive collection of recorded music this world has seen (or probably will ever see), somewhere close to 3 million separate recordings (counting different releases or masterings of individual albums separately)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Good riddance how anyone can support torrent music sites is beyond me, despite the so called invite only policy.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Agreed. Good riddance. Illegal acquisition of licenced music is the domain of oxygen thieves. I think little more of these sorts of people than I do someone who steals stuff from the local store. Actually, change that. I think less of them, because at least someone who steals from the local store has balls.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
What.cd offered audiophiles the potential ability to compare multiple masterings (in many cases versions no longer available elsewhere, no matter how much one was willing to pay) of albums. That is simply no longer possible, at least until there is a successor. That may be technically illegal; should it be, though?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Already on its way back in 2 reincarnations ;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I'm laughing my derriere off regarding stealing. :D
The ones who steal are the ones who have some' to sell, like Tidal, like the governments, like the oil and plastic companies... Lol
What a funny bunch!

I didn't know a thing about What.cd, I just read some news couple weeks ago, and that one was related to music. Then I started reading the article and I thought of sharing it here, in the music general discussion section.

Honestly, there are people who have a real sense of how to expand our musical horizons, to discover world music in all the undergrounds. That's how we gain knowledge, education, appreciation, real sharing, true music love.
Lol, Tidal...and that bunch who is running it; those are the real criminals.

I know nothing about What.cd, but from what I've read there are some good positive attributes there. If they were shut down it's very easy to know why, it's because the real criminals have money to lose. What a crazy upside down world we live in.

Just recently a judge was saying to a young rape victim that she should have close her knees together. This judge is going down...
A mayor of a fair larger town was sent to jail for ripping his town (his own people) of millions of dollars. He was a gangster! And still is!
Every single day we are reading stuff like that happening everywhere; the people we put our trust in and that we pay to do their job properly with our taxes, are the same people who rob us, who steal from us everyday, who use us as their slaves to profit financially for their own personal sick benefit.

So lol yeah, funny few comments above.
Let's keep well informed here of the reality of our world.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing