WAF and Cabling

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
Hello everyone!

I just moved my system into a new room and am thinking about doing the wiring a bit different. I am thinking about having the equipment rack to the left of my listening chair that is behind the photo (minus the foot rest). I have the amps on the equipment rack right now but I think that will change as it looks like I will be getting a turntable again soon. The VAC Renaissance 70/70 has yet to be turned on in its location within the rack. Hopefully Kevin gives me the OK regarding the amp having enough room to breathe. Before it was on the floor in front of the rack, but my wife is not thrilled with that solution.

My wife also wants to put a christmas tree between the speakers so I am thinking about running a long run of speaker cables outside under the vinyl siding. Is this an absolutely terrible idea? Is there a type of cable that will not suck for this application? Ideally I would like this to be as clean looking as possible. Unfortunately I am on a slab so I cannot run wires through a crawl space, which would be better. I currently run Verastarr cabling which is short. All help is appreciated!

IMG_20161120_124841460.jpg

Best regards,
Stephen

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The answer is quite simple. Do what I did.

Drill holes through the floor and have the cables run under the floor joists.

Most of my equipment is behind my seating position.

Cables will be completely invisible.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
The answer is quite simple. Do what I did.

Drill holes through the floor and have the cables run under the floor joists.

Most of my equipment is behind my seating position.

Cables will be completely invisible.

I have customers who have done this using plastic plumbing tubes to protect the cable. Another advantage of this approach is that it enables a more direct cable run, allowing a shorter cable to be use which is both cheaper and less lossy.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
He is on a slab.

And by all means get the equipment away from all that music energy, holy cow!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Doesn't look like there would be any great way to run the speaker cables. I think you'll have to make some compromises, as a very high quality speaker cable is expensive and long runs will be extremely expensive as the longer run the larger the gauge required as well.

If you're going to run cable outside and under the siding you'll want a machine-made cable, maybe some bulk Neotech speaker cable that uses UPOCC copper. It'll be pricey but maybe a good compromise of $ vs performance...

Good luck!

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
Depending on your circumstances and priorities an option would be to take off the base boards and then get a router and go deep enough so that you can get the cables (L,R,+,-) tucked in nicely. It can be done!

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Depending on your circumstances and priorities an option would be to take off the base boards and then get a router and go deep enough so that you can get the cables (L,R,+,-) tucked in nicely. It can be done!

Alternately, you could build a little extension to your baseboards, creating a hollow space where you could hide the cables. Think crown molding at the floor level. Lots of profiles available you could easily find something that matches your current look.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Looking @ your picture; I'll leave things the way they are and put the Christmas tree @ another position in your home.
Your music is much more important than the Christmas tree; music is forever, Christmas only last one day...December 25. ...The tree? Two weeks max.
I'm sure you have a lovely and understanding wife. :b

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
I like the idea of doing an extension in the baseboards. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the ideas. I do have a pair of Transparent Ultra XLR cables that are 30' long and I could sell those...

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
He is on a slab.

And by all means get the equipment away from all that music energy, holy cow!

I recall a year or two ago, we had an international member who was on a slab and he chiselled through his stone/granite floor, making channels for the cables. He showed photos of it.

The idea of boxing out the baseboards will also give you the option to install stained hardwood moulding to match your beautiful floor. (Whose idea was white painted moulding next to that gorgeous wood floor anyway???)

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I recall a year or two ago, we had an international member who was on a slab and he chiselled through his stone/granite floor, making channels for the cables. He showed photos of it.

Wow, talk about dedication to your hobby! :)

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
So I brought up the idea of working with the molding / possibly doing some channels in the concrete slab. My wife laughed at me.. :p I think we are just going to move the rack to a side wall and do temporary wire channels. I'll figure it out after that. Pretty soon I'll be able to start doing measurements and treating the room. That should be fun!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
If you are considering channels in the slab, verify 100% that you do not have a PTS ( post tension slab).
If you do, channels could be a deadly endeavor.
Do your research. On some homes there is identification of it in the garage floor, be very certain.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing