Moonlight

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
As the year draws to a close most of the Oscar worthy movies are now making their debuts. Moonlight is one of these movies that is certain to garner a lot of Oscar buzz. I thought the story was well told and well acted in three separate parts of this young man's helpless life. I had heard that this will contend for Best Picture amongst other nominations as well. I just can't commit to proclaiming Moonlight the film of the year. I am certain it will be in the top 3-5 movies this year but not Best Film. (At least not until I see some of the other contenders)

The movie had a very high MRQE.com rating of 89% and is highly recommended. It will get you thinking as parts of the movie are often difficult to watch and the ending is not unexpected. It is everything that happens in between that creates the story

Cast: Trevante Rhodes, Naomie Harris, Andre Holland, Mahershala Ali
Director: Barry Jenkins
Rating: R
Running Time: 110 min.
Synopsis:
A young man deals with his dysfunctional home life and comes of age in Miami during the "War on Drugs" era. The story of his struggle to find himself is told across three defining chapters in his life as he experiences the ecstasy, pain, and beauty of falling in love while grappling with his own sexuality

The 3 defining chapters are

I, Little

I, Chiron

I, Black

Three time periods - young adolescence, mid-teen and young adult - in the life of black-American Chiron is presented. When a child, Chiron lives with his single, crack addict mother Paula in a crime ridden neighborhood in Miami. Chiron is a shy, withdrawn child largely due to his small size and being neglected by his mother, who is more concerned about getting her fixes and satisfying her carnal needs than taking care of him. Because of these issues, Chiron is bullied, the slurs hurled at him which he doesn't understand beyond knowing that they are meant to be hurtful. Besides his same aged Cuban-American friend Kevin, Chiron is given what little guidance he has in life from a neighborhood drug dealer named Juan, who can see that he is neglected, and Juan's caring girlfriend Teresa, whose home acts as a sanctuary away from the bullies and away from Paula's abuse. With this childhood as a foundation, Chiron may have a predetermined path in life, one that will only be magnified in terms

The ending of the film will certainly have you talking although as i stated it is somewhat predictable. The final scene before the fade to black will certainly have you talking

All in all this is one of the season's best but there are other good ones coming such as LaLa Land and Manchester By The Sea which easily could grab picture of the year

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Saw this one yesterday. Excellent movie which will win a number of Oscar nominations, if nothing else for its subject material. Cinematography, acting and editing were excellent. The soundtrack was excellent, although the use of Caetano Veloso's "Cucurrucucu Paloma" was a bit odd. Still prefer "Hell or High Water" or "Nocturnal Animals" as my 2016 favorites.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
We finally went to see Moonlight. I didn't read much about the movie before we went and I wasn't quite prepared for it. Maybe it was better that way as I found it to be an excellent movie and quite impactful. Lots a good acting throughout.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Finally watched Moonlight this weekend - don't get it at all. Maybe for winning a festival, but certainly not best picture. It's a step above a student film production-wise. Story was a bit dull and depressing perhaps as Manchester and very sluggish for its (short) runtime. Ali was excellent in the first act, I'll give it that. Who is rushing out to buy the Blu Ray said no one?

Much preferred Hell or High Water/Arrival/Manchester.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing