Social Media | The News Agencies | The Business Of Selling The News | Consumption

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Bob, you can't take anything for granted specially when the wolves don sheep's clothing and start calling Wolf! At least one of the 3 so called false news claimed by Donath, i.e. "Obama told illegal immigrants to vote." is actually true! Here's when and how in his own words;

It is not David. How can you believe a President would say on TV that illegals should go and vote???

That aside, here is the full interview. It is all about busting the myths around voting. What the President is saying is that if you as a citizen go and vote, no one is going to investigate you and potentially find others in your family who may not. Note what he says at 4:00:

Partisanship is fine but let's not believe what is not believable.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Peter, without much searching it resonates true; all the inferior news media reported the same story.
And all the serious news media...CNN, FOX, etc., they didn't dare to publish it. Censorship? Afraid to be sued?

I think it's baloney....real true baloney. It must be true because it's on youtube, on TV, in all the newspapers, and even on the internet.

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It is not David. How can you believe a President would say on TV that illegals should go and vote???

After this past 8 years I don't put anything past this guy and he doesn't disappoint here either!

That aside, here is the full interview. It is all about busting the myths around voting. What the President is saying is that if you as a citizen go and vote, no one is going to investigate you and potentially find others in your family who may not. Note what he says at 4:00:

Partisanship is fine but let's not believe what is not believable.

It's very clear Amir, she asks specifically about "illegals" voting and getting caught and he comes back and says it's done behind closed curtains and no one will know anything, nudge nudge, wink wink. Then he follows up by saying fear is promoted to discourage people from voting. Which people is he talking about, why should any US citizen be fearful of voting?

The entire interview is a farce, Undocumented Citizens and he nods? Whatever one's stance regarding this issue it's still the law of the land and you have the so called president going on TV coercing people to vote a certain way and bribing them with breaking the law for their illegal cousins. Talk about partisanship, disgusting!

david

Edit- PS to clarify, the subject here isn't deportation, amnesty, immigration etc., it's the media and their agenda including this fake interview, so let's remain on track.

Last edited:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
"Fake news" isn't something new, nor is it unexpected. We are wired to to seek information that agrees with our inherent biases; including "confirmation bias". IMO, what seems more prevalent is the (willful) ignorance of these biases, especially by those in the media (on both sides of the political aisle) and in academia. If you believe your 'side' has a monopoly on truth and goodness, why deign to listen to a countervailing argument?

One of my favorite quotes is by John Stuart Mill from On Liberty:

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.

But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …

Nor is it enough that he should hear the opinions of adversaries from his own teachers, presented as they state them, and accompanied by what they offer as refutations.

He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

The recent anthropologic discovery of vast numbers of Americans in 'flyover' country by the media are but a single manifestation of this lack of insight.

There are a few people who recognize the deleterious effects of insular thinking to our public institutions such as Jonathan Haidt et. al. http://heterodoxacademy.org/

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
jazdoc,

That was a a great post. Thought provoking. Thank you.

I will check out Haidt for we certainly need better understanding of and consideration for "the other side" in our society, no matter which side we stand on.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Edit- PS to clarify, the subject here isn't deportation, amnesty, immigration etc., it's the media and their agenda including this fake interview, so let's remain on track.
We are on topic. Every bit of logic says there is no way a politician much less the president of US would say that illegals should go vote. That is what logic says. Yet, hundreds of thousands of people bought the idea that he did indeed say that. If they were judging this by logic, it would say that is not true. Why do they believe it otherwise? Why did they put aside logic? Answer is "motivated reasoning." It is best described in this great Ted talk by Julia Galef:

The soldier mentality steers us wrong in believing the wrong "news" story. And it does the same in other parts of our lives including and very much so, audio.

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
We are on topic. Every bit of logic says there is no way a politician much less the president of US would say that illegals should go vote. That is what logic says. Yet, hundreds of thousands of people bought the idea that he did indeed say that. If they were judging this by logic, it would say that is not true. Why do they believe it otherwise? Why did they put aside logic?.

Did you watch & listen to that video Amir? It was an infomercial for hispanics and their illegal cousins, the man has no shame and zero scruples! Just that he nods and smiles when she calls illegals Undocumented Citizens should tell you who you're dealing with. He has no respect for the country, our laws and specially our Constitution.

david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I find it fascinating that there can be such divergent views about what our leader, "the master communicator", actually said and meant. And now we are told again that we can't trust our ears. There was a whole thread on this topic. Our biases effect the quality of the sounds we hear and, apparently, the words we hear. Perhaps we need to listen to this audio with altered voices and no images to understand what was really said. I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the point about logic. I get fooled all the time at magic shows where my eyes clearly can't be trusted.

These politicians have perfected nuanced messaging which is why it is so refreshing to hear a politician speak plainly.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I find it fascinating that there can be such divergent views about what our leader, "the master communicator", actually said and meant. And now we are told again that we can't trust our ears. There was a whole thread on this topic. Our biases effect the quality of the sounds we hear and, apparently, the words we hear. Perhaps we need to listen to this audio with altered voices and no images to understand what was really said. I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the point about logic. I get fooled all the time at magic shows where my eyes clearly can't be trusted.

These politicians have perfected nuanced messaging which is why it is so refreshing to hear a politician speak plainly.

I can transcribe it if you want Peter :).

david

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I find it fascinating that there can be such divergent views about what our leader, "the master communicator", actually said and meant.
Do a google search and you see that hardly any major news source covered this story. Only Foxnews did a bit on it which triggered its own battles. None of the other networks or major newspapers took this at the face value presented. In other words, most everyone agrees that no president of the US would go on TV and say to illegal aliens to go and vote.

In your search you will see that the coverages is there in a circle that is victim of soldier mentality. Logic is put aside to advocate a cause.

And now we are told again that we can't trust our ears.
You were not told that at all. I simply said that motivated reasoning/soldier mentality is alive and well in Audio and you just demonstrated that with that statement. You became "we" with a cause to prove.

By the way, you are 100% encouraged to trust your ears. What you are told to not trust is substituting other knowledge/senses for that. Dreyfuss paid a dear price for that in France. And there is a price to be paid here too, literally. :)

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the point about logic. I get fooled all the time at magic shows where my eyes clearly can't be trusted.
If a woman disappears during a magic show, do you go home thinking she is gone forever? You do not. Logic says it is a show and she cannot have disappeared no matter how convincing the trick was. Yet in audio, and in the case of politics we are discussing, that logic is put aside.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Do a google search and you see that hardly any major news source covered this story. Only Foxnews did a bit on it which triggered its own battles. None of the other networks or major newspapers took this at the face value presented. In other words, most everyone agrees that no president of the US would go on TV and say to illegal aliens to go and vote.

In your search you will see that the coverages is there in a circle that is victim of soldier mentality. Logic is put aside to advocate a cause.

The soldier analogy is interesting in this case in which an alternative explanation could be that the majority of the news organizations act as the President's Praetorian guard because they overwhelmingly agree with his viewpoint

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

There's a reason why obama was so afraid of Fox News telling everyone not to watch, he doesn't always get a pass there.

Looks like it's exactly what you're doing Amir, it's called being in denial :)!

david

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Activity Stream; that's what it says right under What's Best Forum.
News in Audio Technology, Film Industry, Music World, Our Planet and our Galaxy, Fine wines fine travels, Best Entertainment, Best News today we can use, ...

News: what is true (real), what is fiction (fake)?

1. Global Warming: https://friendsofscience.org/index.php?id=3
2. Facebook stock: http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/22/investing/facebook-stock-comeback-fake-news/
3. The Truth about Audio: http://www.soundandvision.com/content/laws-acoustics#30tbHE3oJyDtej39.97

Now, which of the three links above is true?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Many have learned not to follow the major news sources. They have highly biased coverage and faired miserably with their coverage and predictions. I would think they are loosing subscriptions and viewerships. One must read/watch a wide variety of coverage and then try to figure out what is true. And it helps to get out and talk to people about what they think, not just on the two coasts, but across the country. When illegal aliens are referred to as undocumented citizens, then logic tells me that there may be motivation and attempts to get them to vote. No one asked me for any form of ID when I voted. Combine that with other actions that the President has taken, and I can fully understand why his comments have been interpreted in different ways. I'm sure those interpretations are in part dependent upon individual biases. In this case, we are discussing what was a very crafty interview. I heard it discussed afterwards on the radio and on the internet, not just on FOX.

If a woman disappears during a magic show, do you go home thinking she is gone forever? You do not. Logic says it is a show and she cannot have disappeared no matter how convincing the trick was. Yet in audio, and in the case of politics we are discussing, that logic is put aside.

Not even the President would get me to believe that a woman disappearing, or cut in half, at a magic show is gone forever. That is a poor example because logic can easily overcome what my eyes tell me. But my eyes do deceive me during lots of slight of hand tricks and others, and in some cases, logic does not seem to help me much.

News coverage, and how we interpret it, will continue to divide us. It will be interesting to see if newsmakers start to bypass conventional news distribution and begin to communicate directly with their audiences. They may already have begun.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Many have learned not to follow the major news sources.
You still talk in plural. That is the foundation of soldier mentality Peter. Did you watch the TED video?

When I watch that interview, I examine it not as democrat or republican. I don't watch it as pro Trump or Clinton/Obama. I don't watch it as being against or pro media.

I just watch it as an individual, examining what is no longer material in any kind of war or debate. In that sense, it goes against all logic to me personally that he would lose all common sense and advocate in such clear, non-nervous, and non-defensive tone and body style for illegals to go and vote. It makes no sense at all to assume that is what he wanted to advocate on TV. It is no more real to me than saying there are aliens in Area 51.

I read your post and it does not follow this kind of "scout" mentality Peter. One where you are gathering information and relying on that as the important bit.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing