Who are the most talented individuals working in the high end audio industry today?

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016

Funny how everybody seems to nominate those who have done little (or nothing) to significantly advance the industry's actual performance levels.

Sure those nominated are most/all good-to-excellent designers. But you will not find a name among any of those mentioned in this thread (or any other thread) that has actually stood the industry on its ear from a real performance perspective in the past 40 - 50 years.

IMO, just more evidence that the "high-end" audio industry remains very much in its infancy stages from a performance perspective. And if that is true, is there really any other perspective worth our consideration?

I guess you don't get out much or missed my post or never heard of Bob Carver...

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Yep. Berning, Jussi Laako, Damien Plisson, Hiroyuki Yokota, the MBL people, Koch, John Swenson, Thorsten Loesch, the Spectral Audio people, Dietmar Brauer, the Merging people, Vincent Brient, Susumu Sakuma, Lukasz Ficus, Gregor @ Veracity Audio, the Aries Cerat people, Kimura, Kunusoki, Kondo, etc...

Forgot to add:

Walt Jung, Oskar Heil, the T+A people,

perhaps several others.

Last edited:

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I guess you don't get out much or missed my post or never heard of Bob Carver...

Fairly sure he doesn't get much of all the people already mentioned...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

You're joking, right? You must be cuz I'm laughing at your statement.

I owned Bob Carver's "top of the line" pre-amp and amp (350 wpc at 900 wpc peaks - yeah right) for years thinking perhaps like you that they were the cat's meow. Only to discover in a direct comparison to an 80 wpc Onkyo receiver was significantly more musical, especially in the power category.

Carver may be a marketing genius but that's about it. Although I did get pleasure from his sonic holography technology.

Remember the old story about Carver making an amplifier out of a coffee can that sounded as good as a highly rated Conrad Johnson amp? Everybody thought he was a genius because of that little experiment.

Yet to this day, nobody including Carver understands what he really proved then. That Carver proved that a highly rated CJ amp sounded no better than an amp make from a coffee can.

Again, when I think of names worthy of mentioning in this industry, I only think from a performance perspective, not the bling bling or fancy remote, etc perspective. And in that category, you cannot think of a single name that has greatly impacted the industry from a sheer performance perspective.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016

I owned Bob Carver's "top of the line" pre-amp and amp (350 wpc at 900 wpc peaks - yeah right) for years thinking perhaps like you that they were the cat's meow. Only to discover in a direct comparison to an 80 wpc Onkyo receiver was significantly more musical, especially in the power category.

Carver may be a marketing genius but that's about it. Although I did get pleasure from his sonic holography technology.

Remember the old story about Carver making an amplifier out of a coffee can that sounded as good as a highly rated Conrad Johnson amp? Everybody thought he was a genius because of that little experiment.

Yet to this day, nobody including Carver understands what he really proved then. That Carver proved that a highly rated CJ amp sounded no better than an amp make from a coffee can.

Again, when I think of names worthy of mentioning in this industry, I only think from a performance perspective, not the bling bling or fancy remote, etc perspective. And in that category, you cannot think of a single name that has greatly impacted the industry from a sheer performance perspective.

OK, your list is YOUR list, what you think is worthy is YOUR opinion. I deal in the world of common sense and facts. Look how many Carver products made these lists of the 10 most significant amps of all time along with WHY they are on the lists. Then look at the company he is in. Bob has amps from Phase linear, Carver, and Sunfire all on these lists.:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/the-ten-most-significant-amplifiers-of-all-time/

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

Have you given us your list yet?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
OK, your list is YOUR list, what you think is worthy is YOUR opinion. I deal in the world of common sense and facts. Look how many Carver products made these lists of the 10 most significant amps of all time along with WHY they are on the lists. Then look at the company he is in. Bob has amps from Phase linear, Carver, and Sunfire all on these lists.:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/the-ten-most-significant-amplifiers-of-all-time/

And Bob Carver is getting the Founder's Award at the LAOC Audio Society gala dinner.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Have you given us your list yet?

No I've not given you my list yet. Not that it matters cuz nobody's heard of him but he's focused on performance only without any flair or bling.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
No I've not given you my list yet. Not that it matters cuz nobody's heard of him but he's focused on performance only without any flair or bling.

Not because it's easier to make a blanket criticism grossly abasing all those previously mentioned without contributing anything yourself?

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Not because it's easier to make a blanket criticism grossly abasing all those previously mentioned without contributing anything yourself?

Abased or debased? I suppose it doesn't matter which.

I don't think the "grossly abasing" part can be attributed to me. Perhaps it can be attributed to you or others who've incorrectly given credence to those who've actually contributed little or nothing to real performance gains? You haven't witnessed me do that.

For example. If I think you're a super athlete and say so. Then I have a conversation with your significant other and they clearly convince me you haven't an athletic bone in your body, was I in the wrong or your significant other?

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
For example. If I think you're a super athlete and say so. Then I have a conversation with your significant other and they clearly convince me you haven't an athletic bone in your body, was I in the wrong or your significant other?

Beam me up Scotty...

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016

So who is the guy on your list that's better than all the people you have slammed? You mention that no one has ever heard of him, what's the matter, can't he sell one of his "amazing" products? Or does he not like getting paid?

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Abased or debased? I suppose it doesn't matter which.

I don't think the "grossly abasing" part can be attributed to me. Perhaps it can be attributed to you or others who've incorrectly given credence to those who've actually contributed little or nothing to real performance gains? You haven't witnessed me do that.

We haven't witnessed you doing anything positive at all, just lamely criticise.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Menno van der Veen is one for the greats.

Not sure if I forgot Caelin Gabriel who also hangs around in these forums.

Vinnie Rossi, Townshend...

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Then I have a conversation with your significant other and they clearly convince me you haven't an athletic bone in your body, was I in the wrong or your significant other?

My SO wouldn't even give you a second of attention... and if she did, she'd laugh out loudly to your face.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
My SO wouldn't even give you a second of attention... and if she did, she'd laugh out loudly to your face.

YashN, you almost sound militant with your insults. They say if you throw a rock into a pack of wolves, the one that barks the loudest is usually the one that got hit.

Lamely criticize? I'd be interested to know why you injected "lame". Especially when I thought I was being kind.

Is that because you can't think of any serious performance-oriented names or is it because my hypothetical about your SO telling me you don't have an athletic bone in your body hit a little too close to home? If it's because of the former, cheer up, you're obviously not alone. If it's the latter, well, that's completely outside my scope. How was I to know? Or is it because you've little clue what real performance means?

But I'll give you a name (not the name I was originally thinking) of one who has contributed significantly to a given playback system's performance. Ed Wilco (sp) owner of the now defunct Foundation Research co. in Ontario, Canada. If you are one of the few who appreciates the universally noisy AC coming in from the street and what superior line conditioners can do for a given system's performance once the noisy AC has been sufficiently cleansed, purified, filtered, and/or conditioned, I've little doubt you would disagree. But since it seems you do not use line conditioners, much less superior line conditioners this aspect is most likely foreign to you as you probably consider line conditioners as "accessories" as much of the industry does. Or do you think because you have "dedicated" lines you have no need for superior line conditioners?

There just may be another superior line conditioning mfg'er or two but Ed's pretty much the top of my list. To the best of my knowledge, every reviewer who reviewed the Foundation Research line conditioners over the past 16 years ended up buying the review samples.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing