SMC audio gear

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi everyone,

I would like to know if any of you auditioned or own SMC Audio gear made by Steve McCormack.
This brand is on my short list to build my new system, but living in Europe i won't have the possibility to audition this gear.
If there are any owners on this forum i would be pleased to have your input.

Thieliste

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Steve's a good friend and his gear has been a staple of my demo system for years. He and I are working on a preamp to be sold in the Genesis label, and I frequently borrow his SMc Audio VRE-1 at shows. I currently own two of his Interocitors (he calls it the Flex Connect).

What I like most about his designs is the transparency to the recording - what you have is what you hear.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Great link YashN, I didn't know about that interview of Steve. I should add that Steve was the recording engineer on some of the best direct-to-disc LPs ever made, the M&K Realtime LPs from the 1970's. Just check the liner notes.

Reactions: speshal

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Gary,

Have you had the chance to audition Steve's latest work in amplification ? he has a new pair of 400w monoblocks using older DNA-0.5 chassis.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Not the final design. I've listened to Steve's monoblocks everytime I visited him over at least 5 years already and they have improved every time. I already thought that they were excellent (he uses a pair of my speakers and my cables so I know what I'm listening to) but he wasn't ready. I do believe that he crossed a hurdle which is why he is now willing to sell them.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Thanks Gary, congratulations to you for all the work you've done at Genesis!
I will always remember that audition in 1997 of a pair of Genesis 1 on a full Jadis system, that was in Marseille.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I currently own two of his Interocitors (he calls it the Flex Connect). (...)

A fantastic device - it can operate real miracles when connecting a tube balanced preamplifier to a single ended amplifier or driving a single ended amplifier directly from a balanced DAC. Please note that the Flex Connect is much more than just a a good unbalancing transformer.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Steve's a good friend and his gear has been a staple of my demo system for years. He and I are working on a preamp to be sold in the Genesis label, and I frequently borrow his SMc Audio VRE-1 at shows. I currently own two of his Interocitors (he calls it the Flex Connect).

What I like most about his designs is the transparency to the recording - what you have is what you hear.
Hi Gary,
Hope all is well. I was speaking with someone about SE-XLR converters. I am thinking about one in between the CJ preamp and the Gryphon amp. I have emailed Steve McCormack, but since I know you use his products a lot, I would get a second opinion from you. :

1. Do they block DC as a natural part of what they are doing?
2. Do you know if he is still selling them?

Thanks!

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I have a DNA-1 I have used since 1991. It has been fantastic. I sent it to Steve for his upgrade Two years ago and was very pleased with the results. Better in all respects. Just sent it back in early this week to have the gravity base Installed and have the diodes upgraded. This wasn’t available then or it would been done too. I have been quaranteed that I will be blown away, we shall see. But in any event, Steve’s stuff is top notch. Well worth the money.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have a DNA-1 I have used since 1991. It has been fantastic. I sent it to Steve for his upgrade Two years ago and was very pleased with the results. Better in all respects. Just sent it back in early this week to have the gravity base Installed and have the diodes upgraded. This wasn’t available then or it would been done too. I have been quaranteed that I will be blown away, we shall see. But in any event, Steve’s stuff is top notch. Well worth the money.
Great feedback! Thanks! I have always read superlatives about Steve McCormack and his work. I am hoping he still sells the Flex Connect, as it is definitely something i am interested in.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I just asked and it is still available. Contact them at SMcAudio@cox.net.

You are AWESOME!!! Thank you! I will email right now. I emailed the main email address from their website and called earlier...but will use this email right now.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I just emailed them at the email address you kindly gave. Thanks again!

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I have had the DNA 1 with the full gravity bass upgrade for two weeks now. Amazing amp. Tremendous control and wonderful detail and presentation. Superb value.

speshal

Mar 8, 2018
Houston, TX
www.youtube.com
I have had the DNA 1 with the full gravity bass upgrade for two weeks now. Amazing amp. Tremendous control and wonderful detail and presentation. Superb value.

Gratz...as great as the performance is compared to others, I think the delta is even bigger in the level of high end customer service. Nothing gets more "high end" and fun in my book than getting a custom amp by Steve. There really is no equivalent in the market with the level of Steve's experience, customization, customer support, performance, and value.

Reactions: magichifi

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Splash-Page-1.3.jpg

Therw is a poster in the website.
Hope to have some description on each components.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing