ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
He's an ass that will say anything for funding related to space. Before this he was saying aliens would certainly come to rape and pillage.

Honestly I just think he's shallow.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Great mind opening subjects of factual scientific importance. Some high placed people of our societies who travel up North and talk to Inuits don't hear about climate changes; they are told that the polar bears are doing just fine by the Inuit people. But the Inuits are no scientists, and they don't hunt around where the icebergs are forming near glaciers falling into the ocean from melting/rising temperatures.

The other point regarding looking up @ the stars in the sky instead of @ our feet down below is another good direction. Expanding the mind instead of restricting it @ our own delimitation. The air we are breathing is the one from radioactive garbage we throw in our oceans, and is as toxic as the emissions from oil powered machines and cars and industries making clouds of smoke up in our atmosphere. Burning plastic, rubber, trees, chemicals, smoke from bombs, guns, rockets, jet-planes, cruise-ships, missiles, destroyers, grenades, ...all suffocating the human race by polluting our precious air.

Energy efficiency, nuclear wastes, disposal of the food chain, ...by renewed clean industrial power plants using the natural elements of the sun, winds, waves, forests oxygen, earth's heat, volcanoes, clean waters from the snow above, now becoming toxic too because man-made toxic clouds of deadly particles travelling and depositing on tops of our mountains by the global winds of our planet, to finally reach our rivers and lakes and the fishes we eat and poisoned us all, killing us slowly and surely. One country's pollution is concern to the whole world's population. We cannot afford to work separately of each other. We have to share around everywhere and do something for the ones in need to clean their own air because it is increasingly becoming everyone else's air...all of us.

We are @ that point where man is equally contributing to the balance of our ecological system as much as nature itself, and even surpassing it.
We have/had threads right here scientifically based on just that. No need to go to Twitter, Youtube, Facebook and Instagram...it's all right here @ WBF.
http://newagebd.net/179957/biggest-man-made-environmental-disaster-preceding-cop21/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropocene
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ing-behind-d-c-s-new-era-of-great-snowstorms/

In New York he have the statue of Liberty. In San Francisco we are still missing the statue of Responsibility.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
He's an ass that will say anything for funding related to space. Before this he was saying aliens would certainly come to rape and pillage.

Honestly I just think he's shallow.

Forget the man for a sec, and look @ the real situations across the borders of our own planet, based on scientific evidence, our own human race and how we treat our waters, our air, our own people, and our friends and families. Who are we affecting? ...And how?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I'll be surprised if we survive a few hundred years.

Of course, I'll never know for sure because I will have long since rotted in the ground.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
We need more jails, for the real criminal polluters, charlatans, losers, for the planet's destroyers and people's brain washers. You know who I'm talking about ... :b

If climate change is not real then what is? The air in Delhi, India? The radioactive Pacific Ocean from the last Japan's tsunami with three damaged nuclear central plants? Chernobyl and its surrounding areas and people? The last two atomic bombs on Japan? The smog over Los Angeles? The air above Mexico City? Our cities with our busy highways? The deforestation in South America? The fires in Indonesia? ...???
...China's huge air pollution (smog)? http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-35351597
? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...t-beijing-gives-donald-trump-a-history-lesson

Thousand years ago we didn't have deadly air like we have now, and thousand years from now it won't get any better if man keeps going @ it the way he's doing today without any concern for other's air of life but only for personal financial and immediate gains.

What Stephen Hawking is doing is to simply raise our awareness. It's up to us what we want to do about it, or just ignore the guy.
I wouldn't myself because he's one of the brightest living mind in the world today. /// Among others.

What we do today affects others tomorrow. And the well balance of our planet by our people affects us all...everywhere.
What my neighbor burns on his land is my concern on my land, everyone's land. The air I breathe is the air we all breathe; it has no frontiers...air travels freely all around the globe.
Rivers, lakes and oceans too touches several continents. Birds and flies travel long distances.
We're 7.35 billion of us and we have approximately 200 million chimneys burning stuff and smoking our air.
We are warming the Polar Arctic air, and melting the Arctic ice, and rising our oceans, and losing our lands. Soon there won't be enough land to build and sustain heavy skyscrapers.
And living in boats will make too many of us sea sick, with radioactive diseases and no clean drinking and irrigating water. Fishes are dying too, not just humans.

So looking above @ other stars of the deep sky from the universe makes total sense.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2016
Comfort within our own spaces (comfort zones), laziness, greed, disinterest, selfishness, I don't know if mankind (in general) can ever really give or care enough about such things to go without for the betterment of someone else. Civilizations historie's say we won't change for our own good but only to feed our desires for tripping off on whatever it is that gets our pleasure receptors a buzzing'

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
We, as citizens of Earth's all nations, we elect people to represent our interests; and the most valuable interests are survival of the human race...our children's children...
Our elected representatives have to work with scientists in serious ways if they want to keep their jobs.

Another thing, I believe now is a good time to have a democratic vote every twelve months, and not forty-eight. Our future depends on it. And time is not a tool for supporting corruption. Time is precious, and should be used efficiently, less of it and more beneficial...for all. Because we are running out of time with all the bull, lies, greed and corrupted people surrounding us.

No wonder our planet is becoming highly toxic and radioactive!
And it pisses me royally off when big CEOs of major drug companies jacked the prices of medicine needed to save millions of lives!
I don't know if you followed some of those events on youtube (US congress investigations), but it's a total disgrace what them CEOs are doing.

We live surrounded by a bunch of crooked people, and they are spreading a very bad human disease...greed. And in the process they are directly killing our children and our elders.
It's happening in all live working venues, not just drug companies and insurance companies and financial institutions (banks), telecommunication companies, TV networks with all lies to attract more money from people who love lies better than truths, ...all the bull in this world. And we are blinded by our own sources of misinformation.

Hey, check the real news in China, look @ the air they breathe and how they die!
Look @ Delhi in India.
Look @ Canada and the oil spills in our ocean waterways.
Look @ Japan, USA, Russia, ...with their faulty nuclear plants.
Look @ our highways everywhere and all the cars, trucks, RVs, boats, jets, ...fuel gas oil powered.
Look @ our cities congestion and pilling up higher with towers.

Oh yeah, global warming for some is money warming; they just don't care about our people dying, children and women dying; they simply care about their own prestige, ego and bank accounts.

Did you notice something? The supermoon can create climate changes, earthquakes, erosion, disruption, etc.
...And not only the supermoon but also the superpeople. You know what I'm talking about...

So it's very logical and normal and a true fact of life to have scientists concerned for the well being of mankind, including Stephen Hawking.
The smart people agree with him, the greedy people tend to disagree...I wonder why? ;-) I know why.

One more thing; it's funny we always relate to ourselves and ourselves only...with our own day-to-day real life. We don't really care about others, we pretend to but we're not actually...the very vast majority...like a human disease from a nature raped by men's greed. I just wanted to mention it because I see it every single day all around. Yes, it must be human nature; I find it very very hard to deal with, to surmount and go beyond a wide spread disease. And we're afraid to talk about, we are censoring ourselves and erecting walls of discomfort. Global warming is not only physical but also spiritual. The planet needs a healthy physical balance...with clean air, with life...not death sentences.
And the people, us, we need some serious talks about waking up. If we're afraid to face our own music we created, then we seriously have a major global problem, and we sure do...it's a fact. And the people who aren't afraid of seeing the truth face to face and talk about it...is simply not enough to truly move things around. The corrupted and greedy people they hide behind the laws they created for themselves.

Time is catching up with all of us, our air quality is suffocating us real good. Our food is radioactive, our cities are enclosed in their own dying chemicals exposures, and those toxic clouds are spreading to our countrysides and forests and oceans and wildlife. The human race is committing a universal genocide and there's nothing to stop it! Or unless...we look above the sky high up @ other stars and planets of other galaxies for future colonization.

Don't you also find that?

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If humanity doesn't survive, there will be no one left to care.

I wonder how many humans Hawking would plan to send to another system....

If we can't keep this planet habitable, why would we be able to do better elsewhere?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
- If humanity doesn't survive, there will be no one left to care.
- I wonder how many humans Hawking would plan to send to another system....
- If we can't keep this planet habitable, why would we be able to do better elsewhere?

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2015/01/23/will-live-earth/#.WC5Vc_krLIU
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150323-how-long-will-life-on-earth-last
http://bigthink.com/dangerous-ideas/5-stephen-hawkings-warning-abandon-earth-or-face-extinction

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
This planet does things in cycles and for whatever the reason we refuse to understand that and at some point the earth will cleanse itself regardless of what we do.
The earth does a pretty good job of taking care of itself.
Human existence on this planet is but a brief blip in time.
We as humans may speed up the inevitable by some minute measure of time by our carelessness, but I don't think so.

If environmentalists get their way we will have to go back to living in caves and protecting them with pointed sticks, I don't see that happening anytime soon.
If industrialists have there way it wont be long and the sun wont reach the earths surface.
Hydo produced electricity is amazingly clean way of generating power, but we might kill a fish.
If you take the amount of pollution generated by coal burning power plants and compare it to the amount of pollution created people that would start individual fires to keep their houses warm and provide light, that math does not add up. let alone the deforestation of providing fuel to burn.
Can you imagine 7 Billion people make fires to keep warm, heat water, cook food and provide light.

More important to me is all radioactive crap we are burying under ground that will essentially never go away, that's a real problem.

If we choose to power the planet with solar power and wind mills we will have to cover the entire planet surface with panels and windmills as the efficiency is not there yet.

Fossil fuels and petroleum products are never going to go away until there is no more. Petroleum based products are in every aspect of our lives everyday, everything you do in a days events is petroleum based one way or another. Hell our rigs are mostly petroleum based products. Petroleum products have brought us great advancements in health, comfort and recreation, but with that comes a cost.

We have had rubber tires on our cars since 1847ish, where is all that rubber that has worn off each and every one of those tires since then?
Each and every vehicle on the road has 8 brake pads on them that lose their material over time, where is all the brake dust, let alone the exhaust emissions and waste oils and solvents used to maintain them and we fret over a coal burning power plant.

Shutting down industries and bankrupting towns before there is a solution in place makes no sense. You cant take a coal miner out of the mine and throw him in a laboratory and tell him to come up with a solution, that's not going to work.

Nobody wants to be a farmer anymore and live off the land, we want it all packaged and handed to us. I would almost guarantee you there would me a lot less meat eaten if you had to kill it and gut it in order to have your prime rib dinner. According to some, cow farts are a real problem!

We want light/HVAC/clean running water/sewage treatment/awesome toys and we just cut a check at the end of the month and move on.

For all of the things we take for granted/expect/get pissed when its not there comes with a cost as does everything in life.

What the solution is I do not know, where the solution resides, as in our elections, I do know is in the middle.

There is a solution to most problems if everyone can come to grips that maybe their staunch extreme views are not the ultimate answer and could greatly benefit by listening to other points of view and research.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This planet does things in cycles and for whatever the reason we refuse to understand that and at some point the earth will cleanse itself regardless of what we do.
The earth does a pretty good job of taking care of itself.
Human existence on this planet is but a brief blip in time.
We as humans may speed up the inevitable by some minute measure of time by our carelessness, but I don't think so.

If environmentalists get their way we will have to go back to living in caves and protecting them with pointed sticks, I don't see that happening anytime soon.
If industrialists have there way it wont be long and the sun wont reach the earths surface.
Hydo produced electricity is amazingly clean way of generating power, but we might kill a fish.
If you take the amount of pollution generated by coal burning power plants and compare it to the amount of pollution created people that would start individual fires to keep their houses warm and provide light, that math does not add up. let alone the deforestation of providing fuel to burn.
Can you imagine 7 Billion people make fires to keep warm, heat water, cook food and provide light.

More important to me is all radioactive crap we are burying under ground that will essentially never go away, that's a real problem.

If we choose to power the planet with solar power and wind mills we will have to cover the entire planet surface with panels and windmills as the efficiency is not there yet.

Fossil fuels and petroleum products are never going to go away until there is no more. Petroleum based products are in every aspect of our lives everyday, everything you do in a days events is petroleum based one way or another. Hell our rigs are mostly petroleum based products. Petroleum products have brought us great advancements in health, comfort and recreation, but with that comes a cost.

We have had rubber tires on our cars since 1847ish, where is all that rubber that has worn off each and every one of those tires since then?
Each and every vehicle on the road has 8 brake pads on them that lose their material over time, where is all the brake dust, let alone the exhaust emissions and waste oils and solvents used to maintain them and we fret over a coal burning power plant.

Shutting down industries and bankrupting towns before there is a solution in place makes no sense. You cant take a coal miner out of the mine and throw him in a laboratory and tell him to come up with a solution, that's not going to work.

Nobody wants to be a farmer anymore and live off the land, we want it all packaged and handed to us. I would almost guarantee you there would me a lot less meat eaten if you had to kill it and gut it in order to have your prime rib dinner. According to some, cow farts are a real problem!

We want light/HVAC/clean running water/sewage treatment/awesome toys and we just cut a check at the end of the month and move on.

For all of the things we take for granted/expect/get pissed when its not there comes with a cost as does everything in life.

What the solution is I do not know, where the solution resides, as in our elections, I do know is in the middle.

There is a solution to most problems if everyone can come to grips that maybe their staunch extreme views are not the ultimate answer and could greatly benefit by listening to other points of view and research.

GREAT POST!
EXCELLENT POST!
AWESOME POST!

PM coming !:)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Scientific measurements and the latest predictions; fresh news we can use, where it matters the most, human race and wildlife and all life's survival on Earth.
...The decline of the human species by its own undoing and as we know it...

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...cends/ar-AAksgrl?li=AAggv0m&OCID=ansmsnnews11
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ans-will-die-out-within-1000-years-unless-we/

______

I'm listening to Van Morrison right now...Redbook:

...And relaxing inside my own peaceful zone of comfortable numbness.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Although i have much respect for him every now and then he comes with speculative statements .
Giving mankind far to much honour , surely mankind can and will do much harm but nuclear radiation doesnt last forever look at japan( how ever sad that is ) , and a thousand years????
Its absolutely nothing on the universe scale lol .
And there have been very have been very sophisticated civilisations before look at the megalithic stonework in the middle east egypt cusco (pre inca) , all wiped out it seems by what ???>
We still cant duplicate it

Good post hi fi guy.
nuclear waste has a half live afaik plutonium is used in atomic bomb

Certain radioactive elements (such as plutonium-239) will remain hazardous to humans and other creatures for hundreds or thousands of years.

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yeah quite outragious , i cant prove he is wrong , he cant prove the big bang is wrong either .
Mankind has come up with many explanations to find out about the what and why , look at the many religions as well:D.
Hard to prove them all wrong as well lol.
The only thing that doesnt lie is " facts " as far as i am concerned

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think if the Big ELT telescope opens up and it will gaze at other habitable planets it will the see the signs : HUMANS GO HOME !!! haha

:cool::D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
If we are looking @ the scientific facts today, November 19, 2016, 10:22 AM (Pacific Time), all around the globe, what do we see?
How is our planet doing with all human life and wildlife and plants and forest life and oceans life all life living on it?
Do we have to wear masks to breathe properly without dying?

What do we truly know about nuclear power in the way of cataclysms prevention?
How reliable are the humans in charge?

About: Humans Have Caused Earth To Enter A New Geological Epoch | http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/04/100406-new-earth-epoch-geologic-age-anthropocene/
... What is the Anthropocene and Are We in It? | Science ... | https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ed-earth-into-the-anthropocene-scientists-say

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing