Modwright LS 36.5

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I'm in the market for a new pre. The old trusty McIntosh C-36 lost the right channel in stereo mode. I can get it fixed but thought it was time to move into the new decade.

What is your opinion on the Modwright LS 36.5? Do you have any suggestion for a comparable pre or line stage? It will be used to drive a pair of Shanling SP-80 mono blocks fitted with Electro-Harmonix 6CA7 EH outputs.

Luther, I auditioned the LS36.5 vs. the AR LS-26 and Cary SLP-5 and chose the Modwright. Like the ARC, it's a very neutral preamp, so don't expect tons of tubey warmth, unless you roll tubes to that end.

I second the Modwright option between the ones you mentioned, out of that a First Sound or a CAT could be good alternatives.

Luther, I auditioned the LS36.5 vs. the AR LS-26 and Cary SLP-5 and chose the Modwright. Like the ARC, it's a very neutral preamp, so don't expect tons of tubey warmth, unless you roll tubes to that end.

I think going from solid state to tube in itself will be enough.

Just to mix it up, any input on the Conrad Johnson 16LS?

I cannot speak for the preamp but I have the SWP9SE phono stage and it is reliable, well built, and most importantly sounds great. I'm a fan of Modwright.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing