XP-20 & XP-25 on the same PS?

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
hello,
i was buying the XP-25 a few months ago and love it to death. i was very curios about it, and gamble my dice greatly with it. to my taste of course...
now i think about the XP-20, to switch back and forth with my tube pre-amp, i am very curios about how an SS pre-amp will work with my tube amps, further more the balance option are also intrigue me a lot (i supposed connecting the XP-25 to a XP-20 in a balance way will benefits great sound, as with my Metronome C8 dac etc... )

i was asking pass labs if i can buy (from my local dealer of course.. ) an XP-20 controller without his PS, as i have one with my XP-25, (you already know... that the XP series PS can "handle" two controllers...)

pass lab answer was; "that i can, but:
a combination of a xp-25 and xp-20 with same power supply doesn't sound as good as they do with their own supplies, but better than an xp-25 and xp-15..."

its was an obvious answer from their part, and a logical one of course.
but my question is if any of you guys had the actual experience with such configuration and was comparing it with two PS, each for the 20 and for the 25...
how much of a difference is it actually in practice?, not in theory.

my other question is regarding of stack them up, if i will decide to buy the full XP20...
i will have just 2 room for the 4 boxes in my racks.
how you will stack them? XP-25 with its own P.S - i actually work with it like that (with a HRS nimbus dividing them a bit...) and the XP-20 the same? or you will stack the PS together and the controllers together in a different shelf?

thank you guys for any comments on the subject.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I had the XP-25 and the XP-25 for a few years and only just sold them.

I don't think you can buy a XP-20 without the PS? If you can, it would make resale very hard if you were to ever sell them.

The XP-20 never sounded much good with my tube amps, but really nice with my SS amp.

the XP-25 cannot be stacked as its susceptible to RF - keep them as far away as the cables allow. The XP-20 is not as fussy.

That said, the guy I sold the XP-25 and 20 to has them all on 4 shelves on top of each other and that works fine.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing