Is it possible that Trinity DAC with atomic master clock generator?

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
Trinity DAC.jpg

I hope that use master clock generator.

I wonder if Trinity DAC is used with atomic master clock generator.

Is it possible?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I hope that use master clock generator.

I wonder if Trinity DAC is used with atomic master clock generator.

Is it possible?

here is the best description of how the Trinity dac works I have read......including references to the clock....written by Elberoth....

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?12023-Trinity-DAC&p=238265&viewfull=1#post238265

and some more.....

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?12023-Trinity-DAC&p=244005&viewfull=1#post244005

I don't see any references to an atomic master clock generator.....however, I likely do not understand the technical enough to know whether a Voltage Controlled Oven Controlled Xrystal Oscillators (VCOCXO) is an atomic master clock generator......or not.

I did own a Trinity dac for 4 months......and it is the best digital player I have had in my system......congrats on owning one.

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
Thank You~!!!

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012
It appears that the Trinity does not utilize an atomic clock. According to those elberoth links, the DAC utilizes an voltage and oven (temperature) controlled crystal oscillator. I see no problem inherent to that approach with respect to achieving very low jitter. Atomic clock generators are not necessarily low in jitter (phase noise). They are very accurate in mean frequency over time, but that is not the same as being low in phase noise or jitter - which is a short term variation or fluctuation in frequency from the mean.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Why did you decide not to keep the Trinity?

first let me say the Trinity dac is the best sounding digital I have heard. I did hear the MSB Select II at the Newport Show and was impressed but I did not hear what I heard in my room from the Trinity. OTOH show listening is simply a data point compared to living with gear. so i'm not assigning the Trinity any 'best', just a preference of digital I have heard.

I sold the Trinity dac because as a PCM-only dac, only going to 192/24, I felt it was too narrowly focused for it's investment requirement. it does not do dxd, and dsd cannot be input. so over half of my 15 terabytes of music files are not usable with it. so I would need a 2nd dsd dac, another expensive pair of interconnects and rack space too. I felt it was better to sell it and then watch for a single digital approach that would do it all for me. and dxd files are a big deal for me; maybe at some point there will be a Trinity upgrade allowing it to play dxd files. that would be significant for any Trinity dac intender. I don't ever see Trinity going down the dsd path. Dietmar's Philips background is too rooted in PCM......and he is too busy to likely do much work on broadening the format focus of the Trinity dac anytime soon.

all that said, what the Trinity dac did for me was to blow away my previous viewpoint on PCM completely, but to also understand to fully appreciate what it takes to get to that level of PCM performance. so i'm very happy to have spent the time with it as I now (1) know what PCM can sound like, and (2) know what tech it takes to get there. and it's not a trivial thing to build an 'uber level' RTR ladder dac.

I would recommend the Trinity dac wholeheartedly for anyone wanting the best possible PCM and living with it's design approach. and it's small footprint does allow for a wonderful elegant approach to the hobby compared to many other very high level digital choices....it includes it's own 28 femto clocks so it does not need the added clock boxes other super dacs add for ultimate performance. it's build quality and ease of use is top notch all the way. especially in Asia where so many are exclusively redbook/CD only focused it might be the perfect fit for many at the top of the heap.

Last edited:

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
I'm very interested in Select DAC II.

I want to know overwhelm points of Select DAC II comparison to Trinity DAC.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I'm very interested in Select DAC II.

I want to know overwhelm points of Select DAC II comparison to Trinity DAC.

the MSB Select Dac II uses a hybrid dac said to equally do PCM (up to dxd) and DSD (up to Quad/256). I've only heard it do redbook at shows.

as far as comparing it to the Trinity dac I can only 'guess' that it likely is the equal or better on PCM once placed in an appropriate system context based on my limited listening in an unfamiliar system. maybe someone has heard both the Select II and the Trinity dac side by side? at this level of performance some serious critical listening would be required to say much more. I'd enjoy having these two dacs in room and be able to give you a more useful answer. I hate to assume the more expensive dac performs better but that is likely the case if I had to make a prediction.

http://www.msbtechnology.com/dacs/select-features/

in standard configuration it's $90k USD, with a second power supply and upgraded to top level clock it's $120k USD.....that is getting up there.....more than double the Trinity dac retail list price.

one thing is that the MSB can be configured to be used as a stand alone front end and directly drive an amplifier as it can have it's own volume control, while the Trinity dac does need a pre amp.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I have decided to sell my Trinity combo - Trinity dac and Trinity pc&drive. People who are seriously interested can pm me. Both units are in pristine condition.

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
So which DAC do you use?

Your choice that PC Drive is sold is very very smart~!

hahaha

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
the MSB Select Dac II uses a hybrid dac said to equally do PCM (up to dxd) and DSD (up to Quad/256). I've only heard it do redbook at shows.

as far as comparing it to the Trinity dac I can only 'guess' that it likely is the equal or better on PCM once placed in an appropriate system context based on my limited listening in an unfamiliar system. maybe someone has heard both the Select II and the Trinity dac side by side? at this level of performance some serious critical listening would be required to say much more. I'd enjoy having these two dacs in room and be able to give you a more useful answer. I hate to assume the more expensive dac performs better but that is likely the case if I had to make a prediction.

http://www.msbtechnology.com/dacs/select-features/

in standard configuration it's $90k USD, with a second power supply and upgraded to top level clock it's $120k USD.....that is getting up there.....more than double the Trinity dac retail list price.

one thing is that the MSB can be configured to be used as a stand alone front end and directly drive an amplifier as it can have it's own volume control, while the Trinity dac does need a pre amp.

Mike, I was reading some more from the link you provided, and was wondering where the next digital revolution would take us.
For $120 grands we can buy an armored plated 4-wheel drive amphibian jeep.
I would want a two-year future proof DAC (minimum) for that kind of cash. And we all know how fast the digital world is running over the analog one...
But time is of no importance, only the best is, @ the moment.

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
I got it perfectly~!!

In Korea no one use Select DAC II

As you said, I also want to get S DACII ^^

Thank You~!

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
wow! someone very lucky is going to get some fabulous gear. these won't last long.

Thanks Mike. I still absolutely love my Trinity combo but I am selling them for personal reasons. High res pictures of both units are available for those who are seriously interested. And just to be sure: I have not heard a better pcm dac sofar and I have no alternative available at the moment.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing