Doctor Strange (2016) | Trailer(s)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Any taker?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Strange ?

The Dr. Strange stories of the 1960s constructed a cohesive cosmology that would have thrilled any self-respecting theosophist. College students, minds freshly opened by psychedelic experiences and Eastern mysticism, read Ditko and Lee's Dr. Strange stories with the belief of a recent Hare Krishna convert. Meaning was everywhere, and readers analyzed the Dr. Strange stories for their relationship to Egyptian myths, Sumerian gods, and Jungian archetypes.

"People who read Doctor Strange thought people at Marvel must be heads [i.e., drug users]," recalled then-associate editor and former Doctor Strange writer Roy Thomas in 1971, "because they had had similar experiences high on mushrooms. But I don't use hallucinogens, nor do I think any artists do." Originating in the early 1960s, the character was a predictor of counter-cultural trends in art prior to them becoming more established in the later 1960s, according to comic historian Bradford W. Wright: "Dr. Strange remarkably predicted the youth counterculture's fascination with Eastern mysticism and psychedelia."

As co-plotter and later sole plotter in the Marvel Method, Ditko took Strange into ever-more-abstract realms. In a 17-issue story arc in Strange Tales #130-146 (March 1965-July 1966), Ditko introduced the cosmic character Eternity, who personified the universe and was depicted as a silhouette filled with the cosmos. As historian Bradford W. Wright described,

Steve Ditko contributed some of his most surrealistic work to the comic book and gave it a disorienting, hallucinogenic quality. Dr. Strange's adventures take place in bizarre worlds and twisting dimensions that resembled Salvador Dalí paintings. Inspired by the pulp-fiction magicians of Stan Lee's childhood as well as by contemporary Beat culture, Dr. Strange remarkably predicted the youth counterculture's fascination with Eastern mysticism and psychedelia. Never among Marvel's more popular or accessible characters, Dr. Strange still found a niche among an audience seeking a challenging alternative to more conventional superhero fare.

:b

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My wife and I thought that Doctor Strange is perhaps the second best solo MCU movie next to Ironman I. Total eye candy and I didn't even get to see it on I-Max, just regular but with Atmos. Industrial Light and Magic are back on the top of their game for both visuals and audio. Besides, how can you not love a movie that used Pink Floyd for the end credits? :D

If there is one criticism it's that Strange's progression from cripple to Sorcerer was just too easy. I can forgive that however given that the movie would have had to have had many minutes more of drudgery. I think it is made up for by the moral ambiguity that is Marvel's trademark.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
I saw this movie last week with my son and his girlfriend. I can say that we were all impressed. We were able to see it in IMAX 3D. Totally immersive with both the story and the visuals.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Just came back about forty minutes ago from the 3D presentation...

About the music, which Jack just mentioned above... https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2016/nov/02/doctor-strange-psychedelic-dna-pink-floyd

_______

The movie is loaded with great/cool special effects, and in 3D is the way to go...IMO.
The sound is also quite immersing. The characters/actors are perfect...fun and entertaining.
Overall the film is positively hilarious. ...Job well done. Score: 91 for full entertainment. I will certainly get the 3D Blu-ray...100%

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Has some of my favourite actors: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Rachel McAdams, Mads Mikkelsen and of course, Benedict Cumberbatch (if you haven't watched Sherlock, you should).

On the other hand, plot lines and scenes/effects so far look very derivative of "Batman Begins" and "Inception."

Haven't read much about him in the comics, but will still watch as I am curious about any future shared Cinematic Universe, most probably Marvel's Third Leg of the MCU, which should be Cosmic-scale.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I agree on both counts. The tibet connection while it may not have been deliberately lifted from Batman is indeed the same in the source material. As for the folding landscapes, Inception was the first thing to enter my mind too.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The film 'Inception' is not from the 1963's comic book. So if one film took some from another it is 'Inception'...from the comic book.
As for Batman...Tibet...etc., I just don't know which or which took from another first. But sure there are some similarities...no doubt about that.

Anyway 'Doctor Strange' in 3D is a visual feast and a sound surround virtuoso. The actors are some of the best and the flick is highly entertaining; everything gels well. ...Stan Lee: "Ah ah, that is hilarious!" :b

By the way, @ the 3D theater where I saw it I found the picture too dim, dark, as if they need a new bulb in their projector.
So the 3D BR will confirm my findings. It wasn't the best theater, and I don't feel to go back @ that one.

I bet the well calibrated IMAX 3D theaters near New York and Los Angeles are miles more superior.
That's one of the advantages living near those areas; better quality entertainment...visuals and sounds. And with six story-high screen, the real 3D IMAX.

Last edited:

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
The film 'Inception' is not from the 1963's comic book. So if one film took some from another it is 'Inception'...from the comic book.

So, where's the pic of folding cities from the 1963's comic book?...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/11/doctor-strange-vfx-inception-marvel-1201746270/
http://www.vox.com/culture/2016/11/7/13513134/doctor-strange-marvel-visual-effects

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
First two shows Dr. Strange above skyscrapers rather than city buildings folding over?

These pretty much sum it up:

They not only found inspiration in “Doctor Strange” comic book artist Steve Ditko’s psychedelic tropes but also Christopher Nolan’s Oscar-winning “Inception” effect of bending and folding buildings.

Doctor Strange’s clearest visual influence is Christopher Nolan’s Inception, another movie that tumbled viewers through a world of folding city structures and gravitational upheaval, in which the structure of physical reality seemed to bend and curl around the characters.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Still no folding cities in those pics, Bob...

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I saw this movie yesterday after seeing the high ratings from both audience and critics on Rotten Tomatoes.

Have to say that for me it was OK but not great - but I must be in the minority. Wouldn't be the first time I didn't appreciate a movie as much as others did.

The folding cities were interesting at first but overdone by the end in my opinion. Too much in the way of special effects / CGI to the point I was hoping they would end.

The person selling tickets did advise me to stay until all the credits ran and there were a couple of nuggets there.

Ironically, I did really like Inception years ago.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
@YashN, no but you get the idea. :b This ain't no scientific forum, it's the fun of some of the best happy life on entertainment forum; the music and film world.

And yes, this brand new movie took some of its higly developed special effects from 'Inception'. ...As mentioned in the few links provided prior.
In 1963 it wasn't exactly the same in the comic books. Buildings yes they could climb them, ride them, use them as their playgrounds, fly between skyscrapers, destroy them, rebuild them, but the cities were not moving sideways and upside down like they do in the 2016 movie, and drew to some degree from 'Inception' of few years back. In 'Doctor Strange' the special effect artists took it to the next higher level. And it is impressively well done.

Stan Lee's vision is not diminished, to the contrary...it is elevated; he inspired today's filmmakers by pushing the envelope further, that's all.
Twenty years ago and plus the special effects in movies couldn't render what the comic artists could. It's movie progress.
But there are many inferior films today that still use mickey mouse special effects. ...Low and even high budget films.

In the USA and Canada, the artist creators for the gaming industry are demanding a cut of the enormous multi-billion dollars Gaming industry, where the big corporate magnates are taking the large part of the pie. Without the artists they would be nothing, not a penny. Without rewarding the real workers you are creating a world of injustice and inequality, an unbalanced world in an unbalanced civilization. Without the people there wouldn't be power controllers. Power doesn't exist without submission. ...It's a way of speech, and Doctor Strange is no stranger to that kind of unbalanced world.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Twenty years ago and plus the special effects in movies couldn't render what the comic artists could. It's movie progress.

This has nothing to do with the point at hand and neither whether the forum does Science or not: they quite obviously based scenes on Nolan's vision in Inception. Now, one of your links is mentioning parallels with "The Matrix" as well.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
The person selling tickets did advise me to stay until all the credits ran and there were a couple of nuggets there.

Yes, it's a must with the Marvel movies, as they give a little glimpse into other things happening in the background, tying several stories into a larger arc.

I think we're at the dawn of a third leg of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which should be Cosmic scale.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
We are still so behind...

Yes UHD/4K is great, HDR is great, OLED is great, 3D is great, Elevated Sound (Dolby Atmos) is great, Dolby Vision is great, holography is great, ...but we don't have holographic 8K 3D moving pictures yet. And on Blu-ray we are limited to only 3D @ 1080p, and for another five years or so!
______

Bonus (just for fun):

______

And for people who are not impressed so easily by some of the Marvel comic movies like 'Doctor Strange' @ IMAX in (((3D))),
perhaps you can take a chance with:

Or:

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
This has nothing to do with the point at hand and neither whether the forum does Science or not: they quite obviously based scenes on Nolan's vision in Inception.
Now, one of your links is mentioning parallels with "The Matrix" as well*.

Some scientists believe that we live in a parallel universe with inferior aliens. :b

* Yes, it was also mentioned in one of the links. 'Doctor Strange' has an infinite number of possibilities with his powers coming from various sources;
brief he is almost complete in the eternity of all matters. No wonder that in his world cities and planets can expand and unfold @ will. There are dimensions that don't exist in our normal conventional restricted world of limitations and rules of physics and spirit.

"Strange is a practicing magician who draws his powers from mystical entities such as Agamotto, Cyttorak, Ikonn, Oshtur, Raggadorr, and Watoomb, who lend their energies for spells. Strange also wields mystical artifacts including the Cloak of Levitation which enables him to fly; the Eye of Agamotto, an amulet whose light is used to negate evil magic; the Book of the Vishanti, a grimoire which contains knowledge of white magic; and the Orb of Agamotto, a crystal ball which is used for clairvoyance.

In addition to his magical abilities, Strange is trained in several martial arts disciplines] and has shown proficiency with numerous magically conjured weapons including swords and axes. Strange was a skilled neurosurgeon before nerve damage impaired his hands.

Doctor Strange is described as "the mightiest magician in the cosmos" and "more powerful by far than any of your fellow humanoids" by Eternity, the sentience of the Marvel Universe. He holds the title of Sorcerer Supreme from 1973 (with the death of the Ancient One) to the present, except during an interruption from 1992 to 1995. He relinquishes the title once again in 2009, but reclaims it in 2012 when he proves himself willing to protect the world even without the title."

After all, he is the Master of the Mystic Arts. And that goes beyond the vast knowledge of the Physic Arts. It draws upon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing