ksaudiohelp

Nov 14, 2016
I'm not sure if this is an appropriate question for this site, i apologize if not.
Is there a way that when recording with a digital recorder it would seemingly be recording but somehow block out certain things, ie, voices? While listening to recording it seems that at some points that things will go very muffled yet the volume increases and the "feel" of the audio changes. Sometimes some voices, yet terribly distorted, can be heard but most is completely blocked. Is this possible and if so how does this work and can it be proven? I appreciate any help that someone has to offer.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
It is not entirely clear what you are asking.

Is it possible to block or reduce a single voice "while" making the recording? Yes, of course - simple.
So I am assuming this is not what you are asking.

Is it possible to block or reduce a single voice from a source that has "already been recorded"? Yes - if you have the multi-track source. Again simple.
So I am assuming this is also not what you are asking.

Is it possible to block or reduce a single voice from a source that has "already been recorded" and what you have is a mono or stereo source.
Possible? Yes. But very difficult to accomplish without "residual effects". Similar to what you described.

So, what is the context? You didn't say if this was a music recording or something else?
Is sounds like there is a story behind the question. Do you care to share?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
As Caelin stated above. Does the recording chain have any kind of compression or "gate" in it? The recording could be "looking" for a voice, but if something is louder, it may try to block out the voice. Also when it does pick up the voice, it may be overloading the electronics.

If the recording is already made, you can use a M/S matrix to try and fix some of these things.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for sharing your story with us. I am sure it is not easy. Unfortunately this site is not about forensic audio. It is about enjoying music.

Some members here may have the ability to help regardless but there could be legal ramifications which we don't know.

Answering your original question anyway, if you told your husband you were recording him, he could have found the recorder and put a pillow or other material on it to muffle it. Or created other noise (like running shower, static on radio, etc.) to make it difficult to record him. Techniques can be used to pull out the voices if they are really there and not too damaged. I suggest googling online for forensic audio analysis. I wouldn't think it would be too expensive to get it done.

Best of luck and very sorry for the poor predicament you are in.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing