Netflix - The Crown

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
We just finished watching the 10 episodes of Season 1 of "The Crown" on Netflix. This first season covers the early years of Queen Elizabeth II reign. There are flashbacks to her childhood, her uncles abdication, her father becoming King and eventually her fathers death. I have read that this is the most expensive Netflix series to date with a budget of over $130 million. The cinematography is top notch and as is most of the acting. John Lithgow as Winston Churchill will surely get some award consideration.

The story is based off of and an extension of the play "The Audience" originally starring Helen Mirren. This covered the weekly meeting between the Queen and her Prime Ministers over the years.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
$156 Million Show 'The Crown'

I'm half way thru; I watched five episodes. I don't normally watch TV...zero percent.
But once in a blue moon, like the Rio Olympics for example, I subscribed only for that and for that only.
...Also, 'Narcos', both seasons, and 'Making a Murderer'...awaiting Season 2, in 2017.

The other day, Catherine called me on the phone to see how I was doing, and she mentioned that she truly enjoy 'The Crown' with her husband.
I have few Blu-ray movies still un-watched in their wrappers...that I'm anxious to see.
But, 'The Crown' took over. I said to her I'll give it a look for ten minutes or so, because I'm not big on TV Series. But I got trapped, and now I can't get out.

The cinematography, the actors/actresses performances, the decors, the story construction, the montage, the music score, ...all is very first class.
It is sumptuously made and educative as well because it is based on THEE QUEEN, and her story plus more...the monarchy and many surrounding events.

I was going to start a thread on this, but I saw that Jim already started it; excellent. And he posted the exact trailer that I was going to.
_______

"The Crown is an American-British television drama series, created and written by Peter Morgan and produced by Left Bank Pictures for Netflix. The show is a biographical story about the early reign of Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom. The first season, comprising 10 one-hour episodes, was released in its entirety on November 4, 2016. Reception to the series was generally positive, with critics praising cast performances, direction, writing, cinematography, production values, and relatively accurate historical accounts of Queen Elizabeth's reign. A second season has been commissioned.

The Crown traces the life of Queen Elizabeth II from her wedding in 1947 to the present day. It is expected to span 60 episodes over six seasons, with Claire Foy playing the Queen in the early part of her reign.

The first season depicts events from 1947 to 1955."

_______

? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/on-deman...ed-to-know-about-netflixs-100-million-series/

'The Crown' is the perfect antidote to all the fake news and nastiness going on every day for the last few months...since the race started.
I'm not a TV person, but this Series I recommend, and I'm glad that Jim started this thread ten days ago; this is some of the Best showing on Netflix right now.
Hey, for me to put a break in my movie hobbit it takes some' special, and this, is special...'The Crown'.
I still have five more episodes to go for this premiere (first) season. Quality stuff man...all the way...education, photography and grandiose music score.
High class, very.
_______

_______

This ain't no Batman, no comic super hero; this, is sparta...the Queen, and her Crown; the monarchy's history.
I was going for 'Arrival', 'Star Wars: The Force...', 'Star Trek: Beyond', 'Doctor Strange', ...all in 3D, plus plus plus; but now 'The Crown' must always win.

Last edited:

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
There's the Helen Mirren movie too on Netflix that could be a good follow-up to this series if you haven't yet seen it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yes, the Princess Diana's period I'm sure will be part of 'The Crown's series in one of the future seasons, covering the 80s and half of the 90s.
Highly rated indeed...'The Queen' (2006), the movie.

Netflix is a great substitute (alternative) to Hollywood's movie industry.
Today is 'Thanksgiving Day', tomorrow's 'Black Friday', long live the Queen...the crown must always win.

Last edited:

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Netflix is a great substitute to Hollywood's movie industry.

Great alternative, with the original productions and other non-dubbed productions like Narcos and Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories, Terrace House: Boys and Girls in the City/Aloha State.

It's a great time to explore the world, if only by proxy sometimes.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm amazed @ some of the shots in 'The Crown'. Simply gorgeous...the horses, the ocean, the beaches, countryside, vistas, castle, and Hans Zimmer's music score. ...The costumes too...which took a big chunk of the budget. ...And the luxurious rooms with all the paintings and furniture and gold accents and impeccable room service, food service, dressing service, ...they have valets to do all the life's duties. They have their chauffeurs, their tailored clothes, ...an army of servitors on all aspects.

I tell ya; it is very addictive, and I only have one episode to go...the last one, number 10.

I've also learned stuff that I never knew before, simply incredible stuff. And individuality didn't have any place in the monarchy's service entourage.
And divorce wasn't an option (Elizabeth & Philip). And Winston Churchill on his 80th birthday; what he did with his present (painting of himself)!
And you don't necessarily marry people you love. Some unions were forbidden, publicly. And if you didn't fit the rules you were discarded, pronto and efficiently.

Today is much more relax and free than back then, sixty years ago. We have evolved, they, the monarchy is much more flexible.
________

I've also read that North Americans love those type of series. I wonder if the monarchy has any influence on other world's countries...I bet they do.
For example, in the USA some of the furniture reflects the trend. ...Like gold accents.

Oh, private conversations (phone lines) back then weren't so private after all. Today we fare much much better. ...Not really. :b
And they had TVs early on which they use to promote the big ceremonies, and entertainment too...like dancing.
Today it's Ironman and Star Wars...

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I have been busy with the top elite of the elites...music and other joyous entertainment of the early Holidays spirit. Kids own this world.
_____

Last night I watched the final episode ('The Crown') of season one, number 10.
This morning I celebrated some' special; personal matter.
_____

This first season was high class entertainment; it also motivated me to do some in-depth research about the monarchy in England, from centuries ago to this present day.

And the French? What about the French and their own monarchy? Did they get rid of it? And we all know that the French history is rich, very rich in the arts and culture and love affairs...
Some of the greatest/best painters and poets and writers and designers, some extravagant architecture and haute couture and haute cuisine and fine wines and imposing castles and dynasties and costumes and French vistas, cheeses, pates, breads, theaters, and cognac and champagne and Saint-Tropez and the French Riviera, and Edith Piaf and Charles Aznavour and the French Crowns...

What does it have to do with 'The Crown'? Well, Winston Churchill has made some definite comments about Charles de Gaulle.
Churchill's life story is quite intriguing; he played a large role in England and all over the world. This is important history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Churchill

Anyway, this was a great first season; I'm waiting for the next five ones...2017-18-19-20 and 2021. ...'The Crown'.
_____

Now back to my normal movie watching schedule on Blu.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We finished season one yesterday and we were truly impressed. In fact for me it was the best show I've seen on TV in the past 6 months.

John Lithgow IMO gave his performance of a lifetime in his portrayal of Winston Churchill. He will surely be nominated and I am getting will clean up in all the awards shows.

I loved watching Elizabeth beginning to feel comfortable in her skin as Queen. By the end of the last episode you knew she was the queen and the crown was hers. Claire Foy is superb in the role.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..watched the entire first season...eagerly awaiting the next season

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
They sure have picked two wonderful actresses to play the part of Elizabeth. Claire Foy was brilliant and Olivia Coleman has proved herself in series such as The Night Manager and Broadchurch. Not forgetting her Oscar in The Favorite

Reactions: NorthStar

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Crown later this year should be great.

Looking for a new show right now after finishing the first two seasons of Killing Eve- which was also fantastic.

Reactions: NorthStar

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Crown later this year should be great.

Looking for a new show right now after finishing the first two seasons of Killing Eve- which was also fantastic.
I just posted a thread about the HBO Series "My Brilliant Friend" I thought it was well done with a nice soundtrack too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing