Cartridge for the Kronos

StickMan451

Aug 11, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
Anyone have a couple of favorite cartridges that you believe would be a good match for the Kronos Limited TT? I have two phono stages; an Audio Research 2se and the Hovland HP 100. I lean towards a 'big' sound, organic, full harmonics and beautiful tone. I am willing to sacrifice some detail and transparency for 'beauty' and musicality.

I am using Magnepan 20.7's and Carver Black Beauty tube mono blocks. I've always used Dynavector cartridges; ready for something new. I am intrigued with the sound of the Soundsmith Susarro; could that be a great match?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Anyone have a couple of favorite cartridges that you believe would be a good match for the Kronos Limited TT? I have two phono stages; an Audio Research 2se and the Hovland HP 100. I lean towards a 'big' sound, organic, full harmonics and beautiful tone. I am willing to sacrifice some detail and transparency for 'beauty' and musicality.

I am using Magnepan 20.7's and Carver Black Beauty tube mono blocks. I've always used Dynavector cartridges; ready for something new. I am intrigued with the sound of the Soundsmith Susarro; could that be a great match?

Big bloom and lush tone complete with detail: Zyx Universe Premium.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Having some time with Lois he recommends the zyx over dynavector for his turntable :)
Having heard it, the two do mate well, no loss of beauty or detail

heard with solution 755 and Io........

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Sorry just relayed manufacturers recommendation
I thought the Benz LP sounded very good and romantic on the Kronos
Obviously not quite as good as zyx

On voices was wonderful

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Stickman,

By your description, I'd go for a Benz LP-S!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I am willing to sacrifice some detail and transparency for 'beauty' and musicality.....5k range

Koetsu Rosewood Signature :) Beefy arm recommended due to compliance.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Ortofon MCA95 , Audio technica ART1000 , Miyajima Madake

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Really? I've never heard such claims... I've owned an LP-S for the longest time, and been very happy with it. I replaced it with an Ortofon A-90, and sold the Benz to a friend, who's still using it, BTW...

I know that, for a while, the Benz stuff was actually hard to source, as the factory closed or was producing very limited quantities. But apparently that's over now...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have owned a Benz Ruby 2 for many years...still sounds very good. No issues whatsoever with the suspension or anything else. I am currently considering a Benz LPS MR ( this is the latest version with the micro ridge stylus...the one to get vs. the older non micro ridge stylus).
There are many other good carts available, but in my case, the cart output is crucial....have you considered that factor?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
What arm is going with the Kronos.... ?

StickMan451

Aug 11, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
I have owned a Benz Ruby 2 for many years...still sounds very good. No issues whatsoever with the suspension or anything else. I am currently considering a Benz LPS MR ( this is the latest version with the micro ridge stylus...the one to get vs. the older non micro ridge stylus).
There are many other good carts available, but in my case, the cart output is crucial....have you considered that factor?

Yes. I currently have a Ref Phono 2se and my pre, the Hovland HP-100 also has the built-in phono. Not sure however how low I would be willing to go with output. Maybe .3 or higher? I've considered the Sussuro, it's .4 I believe.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Try the superb Miyajima Madake . I prefer it to Koetsu Coralstone in my system

StickMan451

Aug 11, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
I have heard the Madake several times; liked the sound. Very low output however. Right now I am leaning towards a SoundSmith Sussuro. Has almost twice the output of the Madake and cost slightly less money also. My speakers are Magnepan 20.7's (only 87db sensitivty) so a little more output on the source helps.

Try the superb Miyajima Madake . I prefer it to Koetsu Coralstone in my system

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing