Odyssey Kismet Monoblocks review just posted

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
There's a long review of mine on the Odyssey Kismets over at http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/odyssey2/1.html which includes several photos of the new style case. There's no forum at 6moons, so feel free to ask me questions here. The amps are really very, very good, and it will be interesting to hear them when some new DACs come in.

PM me for your own copy in PDF, sans illustrations...

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I find you reviews very hard to read. You need to do less yammering and talk more about how things sound. I just can't make it through to the end.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Just flip to the Listening section. Remember that 6moons is not Stereophile or TAS, it's a rather different audience. In my own defense of the indefensible, note that 11 out of 17 pages are devoted precisely to the listening experience. And the material at the beginning is directly related to how the things ultimately sound.

Keep trying! The article describes exactly what you will experience if you buy a pair, and they're very good indeed, for less than the price of many power cords.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Agree with Jay. The online forum allows for so much more in depth commentary than the print version and you put it to good use with a lot of useful background info.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Well, I probably owe mep an explanation, rather than teasing him unduly.

Basically the article is written the way it is because the publisher has very specific ideas about the positioning and branding of the site. If TAS and Stereophile represent a kind of "gold standard", 6moons might be thought of as the "platinum standard". On one hand, the site expects in-depth technical evaluation, but also they want to appeal to readers who are essentially collectors and audio enthusiasts both. It's sort of TAS meets AD. The story of the engineer, lifestyle considerations, matching the anodizing with the carpet, well, 6moons readers want to know all that. In a way, we're reporting on what it's really like to live with the gear, along several dimensions, rather than more rarefied technical evaluations.

One of the writers changed houses recently and gave away easily $150K in wonderful gear, and he was just scratching the surface of his treasure trove. There are quite a few readers who have even more that this.

Writing online does allow one to wax prolix, but if supports the story, that's another matter. Even in TAS now some of the reviews are allowed to go on at great length. Earlier on, we had 800 or 1600 word "budgets" to cover a product, and that was that. Of course this is good, too, because you have to nail the main points quickly, but it make it a lot harder to differentiate between similar products.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I find you reviews very hard to read. You need to do less yammering and talk more about how things sound. I just can't make it through to the end.

I confess that my decision to purchase my WLM speakers was heavily influenced by my research on this speakers (mostly feeded by 6moons reviews) in the web since no distributor is in place locally yet, but on the other hand I needed to go several times thru such reviews ( not from Nicholas in this case ) at 6moons since there were so much unrelevant information (from my perspective) on several reviews on the WLM line.

I do like the site, content is great so the images, but I am still getting used to its design (and admire kuma a lot) and review formats.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
@flez 007 It might be nice to have the 6moons pages done in more of a blog style, rather than broken up into individual pages. However, as you pointed out, they generally have a huge number of photographs, which is easy to do in an online format, and of course very costly to do in print.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Klaus is one of the good guys in this business---definitely a salesman--but one who puts out great products. I used to always stop by his room at shows for a good time.

Owned a Stratus back in 2000---fine amp for 999 or whatever it cost back then. Was close to buying his German 2 way floorstanders as well back then.

uncola

Nov 24, 2016
Oahu, Hawaii
hi Nicholas, just wanted to say your great 6moons review is one of the main things that helped me decide to get my kismet in khartago case monoblocks as my end-game final amps for my main system. The amps are everything I'd hoped. I'm also in hawaii :) Hope you're doing well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing