One Step 45rpm MoFi Ultradisc Abraxas--Santana

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
today i received my One-Step MoFi Ultradisc numbered pressing of Santana's Abraxas, 2 actually, #1520 and #1569.....and I opened #1569.

I already had 2 pressings of Abraxas. the recent Kessler German ARS pressing.....and while I don't have an early pressing or 2009 MoFi to compare it to, I do have the abysmal/un-listenable CBS Mastersound from my 'B' shelf.......and it goes right back there with godspeed and good riddance. the redbook is better than that.

added note; Myles reports here that the tracks were reversed on all early copies of this recording until the 2009 Mofi....scroll down.

first I played the first 2 sides of the One Step and they were superb. super clear, wide and deep, beautiful decay and layering on the big rig with the CA Goldfinger Statement/Telos Sapphire. excellent delicacy and separation of musical pieces, effortless and finely shaded tonality. the bass was very rich and sexy. different than I had recalled it.

next I played 2 minutes of 'Singing Winds' and 2 minutes of 'BMW' off the ARS and it was 'nice' if reserved and more one dimensional in comparison, a little rough here and there but solid sounding, less width and depth with the parts running together. if I had not heard the One Step I would describe the ARS as having good delicacy and texture, but in comparison it was just ok. the bass was more reserved but good.

then just one minute of both cuts on the CBS Mastersound, really bad. rough as a cob and I had to turn it down to listen to that much. not worth further description.

back to the One Step. this is really, really good. and will be a demo disc for me. spendy.....sure. but this music is from my sweet spot as it came out in my first year at college and was a frequent listen back then.

if you like the music buy it.....and btw, there are only 2500 numbered copies of this pressing.....and it might sell out. so be warned.:eek:

think......UHQR in 45 rpm :D:D:D

MFSL45UD1S-001-2.jpg

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thanks for the write up, Mike. I have been wondering about this new reissue, particularly since I am curious why MoFi would release this particular album as their first foray into the 'new' process. I say that, because IMHO, I believe none of the original Santana master tapes were all that well recorded in the first place ( I have heard all of the prior Santana releases on the various formats...including the prior MoFi releases and none, I repeat none, do anything for me in the SQ area). As a true fan of Carlos's guitar work, this has alway been a big disappointment to me. But, considering the engineers that Columbia stuck him with and i'm sure the recording gear ( plus the times) the SQ really is not that surprising ( at least to me). If we are to compare any of the magnificent RVG recordings, that RVG made for Blue Note in the day, I think one can certainly conclude that the technical engineering ability and the recording gear could have been available to Santana's band....but for some reason were not utilized.(IMO). So, this brings up my question...how great can this new One Step release truly sound, when the original master tape was so very lacking. I'm waiting to see what one of the truly great original recordings will sound like-- if MoFi gives it their One Step treatment....but for now i'm taking a pass on this particular release.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have compared the one step to the current Mofi 33 rpm issue. The glaring difference between one step is bass and overall volume output compared to the 33. The dynamics are superior and the mix seems to me to be hotter than the 33. I can't wait to see what the next One Step release will be.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have compared the one step to the current Mofi 33 rpm issue. The glaring difference between one step is bass and overall volume output compared to the 33. The dynamics are superior and the mix seems to me to be hotter than the 33. I can't wait to see what the next One Step release will be.

Next release will be Bill Evans Live at the Village Vanguard which I'm pretty psyched about.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

I get to hear this album tonight. Philip O'Hanlon is having dinner at my house this evening and is bringing with a test pressing of the album.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Now that would be worth acquiring. Any idea as to when it will be available?

No, I got this info from the Fremer review and he didn't say.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Just got my copy today, number # 0932. It plays very well, fills my listening room up rather nicely .

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I just opened #1536, and oh I have to exclaim! WOW! I've posted before that I've had a Santana 1 4-track tape for some 40 years now, and this is the type of sound I was hoping to hear in the Abraxas - clear, incredibly dynamic, full, exciting, live. This edition is nothing like any other Abraxas I own; some talk about overbloated bass... to me, it sounds tight and oh so right, just like the Santana 1 tape; in a bass-heavy system, yes it will probably sound bloated, but not here. I can't believe how palpable the instruments and voices are, the sense of space, the fullness of the congas - all the way to the last track... again, astonishing, just incredible. Plus it's the most luxuriously appointed box I have ever seen. What a total knock-out, and I am usually reserved with my words. This transfer has to be from some original tape. Looking forward to the next LP...

For reference, here's my tape

santana1.JPG santana2.JPG

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Once they are gone they are gone...........

Dear Customer,

We regret to inform you that just today we were notified by Mobile Fidelity that they would be unable to send to us anything remotely close to the quantity of one-step Santana/Abraxas LPs that we'd ordered. As a result, we have no means of selling you the copy that you'd preordered with Acoustic Sounds. This, of course, is extremely disappointing news and we share in what we assume is your extreme frustration.

We had been in continuous contact with Mobile Fidelity, repeatedly checking on the status of these LPs and reminding them of the quantity we had on order. There was never any indication of such a massive under-shipment given to us until today's notice. While we're embarrassed please understand that there is nothing we can do. Our only suggestion is that you call Mobile Fidelity/Music Direct as soon as you can to see if you can secure a copy. That number: 800-449-8333.

We're very sorry for such an inconvenience and disappointment.

Sincerely,

Chad Kassem
Acoustic Sounds, Inc.

Follow Vinyl_Lives on TwitterBe our friend
Order Toll Free 1-888-926-2564
P.O. Box 1905 Salina, Kansas 67402-1905

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yes, they still do. I should get a second one

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Was there a Quadraphonic master for Abraxas?

Sorry I missed your post previously. There sure was: https://www.discogs.com/Santana-Abraxas/release/1899494

______

It also came with DTS 5.1 (CD - dts surround): http://www.5point1.com/CLASSIC_ROCK-SANTANA_ABRAXAS_DTS_5_1_Surround.html
...And on hybrid stereo SACD (Columbia): http://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/709
- SACD MoFi (Limited Edition): https://www.musicdirect.com/store/santana-abraxas-numbered-limited-edition-hybrid-sacd

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing