One Step 45rpm MoFi Ultradisc Abraxas--Santana

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Wow, ack I had no idea you were enough of a fan of this album to buy the one-step.

I've cleaned mine but haven't listened yet...

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Wow, ack I had no idea you were enough of a fan of this album to buy the one-step.

I've cleaned mine but haven't listened yet...

See the Santana thread; my favorite. I believe I have most of his albums, but I have to admit the latest Santanta IV is unlistenable - of the two discs, I was able to tolerate only one. This Abraxas is just a complete, total knock-out... you'll see, or hear. It reminds me of the analog Reference Recordings of yesteryear in vividness and you-are-there feeling. BTW, MusicDirect's latest print catalog features a picture of Santana on the cover - not gear!

I am looking forward to the Evans @Village Vanguard - if the XRCD is so realistic, I can only imagine what the LP will sound like.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
See the Santana thread; my favorite. I believe I have most of his albums, but I have to admit the latest Santanta IV is unlistenable - of the two discs, I was able to tolerate only one. This Abraxas is just a complete, total knock-out... you'll see, or hear. It reminds me of the analog Reference Recordings of yesteryear in vividness and you-are-there feeling. BTW, MusicDirect's latest print catalog features a picture of Santana on the cover - not gear!

I am looking forward to the Evans @Village Vanguard - if the XRCD is so realistic, I can only imagine what the LP will sound like.

+1 for the Abraxas.....very special sound.

regarding the Evans/Vanguard, I have the Tape Project 15ips 1/4" RTR tape of 'Waltz for Debbie' (as well as the AP 45 of it) from the same performances.......it's a knockout. so the OneStep ought to be very very good. the only question would be whether the OneStep would be any better (or enough better) than the previous Evans/Vanguard AP 45rpm pressing......which I have.

to play the devil's advocate.....

do I need another 45rpm pressing of this recording? this is not anything like Abraxas where (1) there really has never been an outstanding definitive pressing to own, and (2)......Abraxas is an iconic classic rock title.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing