Go to first unread post??

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
On the forum home page, http://www.whatsbestforum.com/forum.php

you can click on the highlighted last post and go to your first unread post. However, this feature is not available in What's New, or when you go deeper into the threads listing. There, you can only go to the last post and have to scroll backwards if you've been away for a while.

Is the feature there, and I'm missing something? If the feature is not there, is it something that can be easily incorporated (even if it's only in the What's New page).

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
On the forum home page, http://www.whatsbestforum.com/forum.php

you can click on the highlighted last post and go to your first unread post. However, this feature is not available in What's New, or when you go deeper into the threads listing. There, you can only go to the last post and have to scroll backwards if you've been away for a while.

Is the feature there, and I'm missing something? If the feature is not there, is it something that can be easily incorporated (even if it's only in the What's New page).

Gary

I only use the "What's New" button as that will bring up every post since your last login. Not sure if I answered your question but for me the What's New button is better (for me at least) than individual thread subscriptions.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Gary

I only use the "What's New" button as that will bring up every post since your last login. Not sure if I answered your question but for me the What's New button is better (for me at least) than individual thread subscriptions.

Agreed. After reading the new posts in any thread, hit the "back" button until you're returned to the "What's New" listings, and choose another thread if you wish. Or, you can simply hit the "What's New" button on top of any page and it will return you to the updated list.

Lee

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary

In the What's New page, when you click on the thread title, it brings you to the beginning of the thread. When you click last post, it goes to the last post on that thread, skipping all the posts in between that you haven't read.

However, in the forum home page, when you click on Last Post, it brings you to the first unread post - which IMHO is more useful.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
In the What's New page, when you click on the thread title, it brings you to the beginning of the thread. When you click last post, it goes to the last post on that thread, skipping all the posts in between that you haven't read.

However, in the forum home page, when you click on Last Post, it brings you to the first unread post - which IMHO is more useful.
But you can do that in What's New also. That is how I use it all the time. Look for a brown little down arrow before the thread title. If you hover over it, you will get a tool tip that says it will take you to first unread post. Click on it and it will take you to the first unread post.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Gary, are you clicking on the small circular icon just before the thread title in the "What's New" listings? That always takes me to the first unread post in that thread. If you are having trouble with this feature, maybe clearing your cookies and double-checking your time zone setting in your user control settings panel might help....

Amir beat me to it, same answer!

Good luck,

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is partly our fault. The default graphics in this software are just horrible. And more horrible is the pain it takes to replace them one by one and keep track of them in the next software upgrade. But we will get there :).

noah katz

Dec 19, 2010
My problem is that the small circular icon isn't going away for several threads in Geddes' forum even after I've returned multiple times.

And What's New isn't a good solution, I don't want to have to sift through threads in forums I don't normally visit.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
My problem is that the small circular icon isn't going away for several threads in Geddes' forum even after I've returned multiple times.

And What's New isn't a good solution, I don't want to have to sift through threads in forums I don't normally visit.

If you open a certain forum, there should be the circular icons before each thread title that direct you to the first unread post in that thread. Be sure you have your coolies activated on your computer for WBF!

Hope this helps,

Lee

noah katz

Dec 19, 2010
Be sure you have your coolies activated on your computer for WBF!

I don't see where to turn on cookies, but I think it is because I'm automatically logged in when I return.

The same old threads still show as having new posts, though more recent ones don't.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Noah,

Try going into your profile and checking the general settings for thread display. Perhaps something there is messed up, but it seems that the forum software is having trouble recognizing your visits & updating your thread views. Perhaps Amir can help you further.

Lee

noah katz

Dec 19, 2010
Another thing:

After logging back in the Quick Reply window isn't there; I had to click on Reply to Post.

How to get the Quick Reply window back?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Just checking. When you log in, do you check the box that says "Remember me" Right? Want to make sure you are not browsing the forum without logging in as that would certainly cause both of these issues.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That change seems complicated to implement :).

If you often want to do that in a specific forum, create this shortcut in your browser and simply click on it:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post&include=X

"X" above need to be replaced with the forum ID. You find the forum ID by going to wherever you want this feature to work. Then look at the browser address bar and find a number in there. For online videos for example, you would see:

....forumdisplay.php?203-Online-Videos

So the forum ID is "203". This means your shortcut would then look like:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post&include=203

That would show all new posts in the Online Video section (and an error if there is none).

You can apply this to multiple forums by simply putting a comma (",") between the numbers for each forum. For example:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post&include=203,170

Shows you new posts only in the Online video and Headphones forums (203 and 170 forum IDs respectively).

If there is interest long term, we can create new tabs that could say, "What's new in Audio" so that you don't have to type it in.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing