Goldmund Apologue installation just completed on Long Island, NY

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Thank you. I do tend to speak with people...but not until i am much further down the road having done my own listening...primarily so as not to bother people unless i am serious. AT the moment, i have no intention of changing systems, having assembled something i am enthralled with...but i certainly can see the attraction of one of these super systems now. And i have heard Goldmund amps and was quite impressed..and it was quite an older, lesser model.

Totally welcome and thank you for the interest. Goldmund amps have always been great amplifiers. The latest active offering are very special. Although the latest Next Gen amplifiers which use the same circuits as the active/wireless offerings are also a few notches up from the previous Goldmund offerings.

Goldmund amps have always been transparent and clear like nothing else. They now have a naturalness and warmth to accompany the transparency, clearness and resolution.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
rvisinta, do you recall what artist & album is playing in the youtube video?

It's interesting how the track's ambient atmosphere and the articulation of the horn playing comes through even over my computer's speakers.

It's Chris Botti - "Embraceable you"

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Impressive video of the Apologues playing piano...the only question mark on this video is literally 0:01-0:02 and 1:00-1:01...otherwise, without the video playing, i could have believed someone recorded a live pianist. And these 2 'questionmarks' could have been on the original recording, not the playback or heck, could my little earphones). In any event, very impressive! thru the recording, thru the internet, thru crappy earphones, i can still hear a lot of individual notes, nuances...again, like listening to an Amazon clip of a piano CD...not like listening to a speaker system playback.

...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhMx20YpO_0

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
The Epilog bass is isobaric, so each bass unit is mounted as a pair, face to face sandwiching the baffle, so you see half the bass units.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Impressive video of the Apologues playing piano...the only question mark on this video is literally 0:01-0:02 and 1:00-1:01...otherwise, without the video playing, i could have believed someone recorded a live pianist. And these 2 'questionmarks' could have been on the original recording, not the playback or heck, could my little earphones). In any event, very impressive! thru the recording, thru the internet, thru crappy earphones, i can still hear a lot of individual notes, nuances...again, like listening to an Amazon clip of a piano CD...not like listening to a speaker system playback.

...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhMx20YpO_0

I usually end up dumbing down what I think of a system to one word, ie, with Avantgardes the word was always "Alive". With Goldmund the word has been and is even more so now "Realism".

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Epilog bass is isobaric, so each bass unit is mounted as a pair, face to face sandwiching the baffle, so you see half the bass units.

Hi F1eng...thanks for that. I am always intrigued by those who listen carefully, have insightful personal observations...and then stick with something for YEARS. I particularly take note when certain equipment seems to attract such a following. It does not mean it is for me...but it DOES mean it is definitely for a certain group of people. I will continue to read more about these.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I usually end up dumbing down what I think of a system to one word, ie, with Avantgardes the word was always "Alive". With Goldmund the word has been and is even more so now "Realism".

given the equipment you sell...i find it fascinating that you have truly all-in-one SOTA (Goldmund Apologue)...and then systems which are also probably SOTA which no doubt are comprised of a rainbow of Kondo, Stillpoints, Kubala, bybee, Entreq, etc...

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
No commercial...just the bald, naked truth.

The Anatta will destroy almost any competing system and the reason is the software that stretches from design to DRC.

To me, the Anatta is the sweetspot of the range, at the ridiculously expensive price of $350K. Proteus/Leonardo is "da bomb".

PS, I still need to hear the Apo Mk2...my next trip to NYC...

Satya here: https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/11/12/warsaw-2015-goldmund-hyper-active/

If there was still a distributor in the UK I would probably have a Satya now. From my experience with the Epilogs and Goldmund in general I wouldn't expect any gain on music in my room from the bigger systems and I am not into home theatre where I am sure the biggies would be magic!
Does the Goldmund software still produce a phantom centre channel like with the full Epilog system to avoid having a speaker in the middle?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
given the equipment you sell...i find it fascinating that you have truly all-in-one SOTA (Goldmund Apologue)...and then systems which are also probably SOTA which no doubt are comprised of a rainbow of Kondo, Stillpoints, Kubala, bybee, Entreq, etc...

:).....I'm just a crazy audiophile at heart and enjoy all different designs, technologies and executions.

My MSB Select II driving Vitus Class A mono amps into Magico M3's is quite something in it's own right. So many great systems out there to chose from anymore, hard to even comprehend the available choices world-wide.

Or play my Kondo Ginga TT or Studer through a full Kondo system with the Kaguras driving Kaiser Kawero speakers. Or what about any of the Raidho's with the Vitus electronics......lot's of choices:)

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
If there was still a distributor in the UK I would probably have a Satya now. From my experience with the Epilogs and Goldmund in general I wouldn't expect any gain on music in my room from the bigger systems and I am not into home theatre where I am sure the biggies would be magic!
Does the Goldmund software still produce a phantom centre channel like with the full Epilog system to avoid having a speaker in the middle?

I never really considered it a true phantom as the two middle Epi 1's were totally dedicated center channels, there were just two of them instead of a center mounted center channel. The Epi2 and the top Epi1 serve as the front L and R for multi channel audio or HT. The Apologue is the same.

With these set ups you have great midrange/center performance with, as you say, the avoidance of a "center mounted" center speaker.

Having said that I have customers who just wanted a center mounted center channel and of course you can do that as well.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I have to admit that is insanely cool...we are talking about a full digital self-contained system inside a 6' set of towers, no cables...maybe a transport that is [perhaps] wirelessly linked or at most 1 cable. (again, i am not a TT guy). No racks, equipment boxes, isolation madness. And while it is ''only" $600K...that in TOTALITY is much more comparable to MANY of the systems here than i originally thought (since i wrongfully understood these were ONLY speakers).

And this is the current reference system...there are clearly less expensive full-service/self-contained systems within the world of Goldmund. Where can we hear any of these systems? I am assuming Apologue is not available at all to hear, or is only available in Switzerland.
LoL

Lloyd, I am not sure where you live, but I am close to Geneva and been to Goldmunds many time, but not since they moved office (near the Airport) in Feb 2016.

Here is my report about the Anatta, which to my ears beat the old Apologue prototype. However, Bob has assured me that the current Apologue at Mk2 software standard, retakes the lead.
http://www.monoandstereo.com/2015/05/follow-up-visit-to-goldmund.html
Actually, the Anatta looks closer to 5 feet tall in that report.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
LoL

Lloyd, I am not sure where you live, but I am close to Geneva and been to Goldmunds many time, but not since they moved office (near the Airport) in Feb 2016.

Here is my report about the Anatta, which to my ears beat the old Apologue prototype. However, Bob has assured me that the current Apologue at Mk2 software standard, retakes the lead.
http://www.monoandstereo.com/2015/05/follow-up-visit-to-goldmund.html
Actually, the Anatta looks closer to 5 feet tall in that report.

thank you! will read with great interest...

Rob Sonata

Jan 23, 2017
Hello F1eng,

We have been the UK Distributor for Goldmund since 2015, please check us out at www.sonatahifi.com (our contact information is also on the Goldmund website)

We are based in London (NW6) and are currently servicing and supplying a number of Goldmund clients within the UK.

Regarding the amazing Satya model, we had a pair on display for the last 3 months of 2016 in a prestigious location in central London (Piccadilly).

A little bit of info on my background:

I am a professional recording engineer (having been fortunate enough to work in some of London's finest studios and venues - when they still existed !) and have also lectured at London's top College and University for Audio Engineering, Acoustics and Electronics.

I have run 'Sonata' (a boutique hifi dealership) for 6 years and we were actually approached by Goldmund to become their representative in the UK.

Regarding the performance of Goldmund equipment - lets put it like this: I've seen it, done it and most definitely acquired the T-Shirt. We've done all the various factory tours, checked out all the stuff on the market and done all the major trade shows... etc, etc (due dilligence for our stock profile)

So, I can categorically say, in my humble opinion, Goldmund is the most realistic sounding equipment that I have ever heard (and it's all down to the time coherence that no other manufacturer can get close to) - simply, the Best.

Please feel free to get in touch, if you want to know more about the current Goldmund range.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
You need a source, like a laptop connected to the same wifi network. You get a dongle for that.

All is wifi 24/96 and all that gets churned up into the DRC/DSP. You don't have to sweat the source quality, as the DRC/DSP advantage overwhelms all that.

Please note the Apos are sold out, so its the Anatta and the Satya that you consider now, for $350K and $110K turnkey.

Norman,

I checked with Rodolphe and actually there have been 22 of the Apologues sold up to now. He had told me that, I though he said 24, it was 22. There are still 3 more pairs to go before the production of Apologues will be finished. By the time the Apologues are all sold, there should be more information available regarding the new flagship Goldmund offering.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Neat! Thanks.

I think I had heard that 19 were already gone in November last year, so it wont be long...

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hello F1eng,

We have been the UK Distributor for Goldmund since 2015, please check us out at www.sonatahifi.com (our contact information is also on the Goldmund website)

We are based in London (NW6) and are currently servicing and supplying a number of Goldmund clients within the UK.

Regarding the amazing Satya model, we had a pair on display for the last 3 months of 2016 in a prestigious location in central London (Piccadilly).

A little bit of info on my background:

I am a professional recording engineer (having been fortunate enough to work in some of London's finest studios and venues - when they still existed !) and have also lectured at London's top College and University for Audio Engineering, Acoustics and Electronics.

I have run 'Sonata' (a boutique hifi dealership) for 6 years and we were actually approached by Goldmund to become their representative in the UK.

Regarding the performance of Goldmund equipment - lets put it like this: I've seen it, done it and most definitely acquired the T-Shirt. We've done all the various factory tours, checked out all the stuff on the market and done all the major trade shows... etc, etc (due dilligence for our stock profile)

So, I can categorically say, in my humble opinion, Goldmund is the most realistic sounding equipment that I have ever heard (and it's all down to the time coherence that no other manufacturer can get close to) - simply, the Best.

Please feel free to get in touch, if you want to know more about the current Goldmund range.
Hi Rob, I will look you up in early Feb when I visit next (if you dont mind). I stay quite close by, off WE Lane actually. I figure its a 15 to 20 minute walk. You seem closest to Kilburn Station. i also note you are not that far from the famous Abbey Road studio (now tourist trap, LoL)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing