Goldmund Apologue installation just completed on Long Island, NY

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I heard one a little lower on the totem pole. But their sound is carried throughout their different units, utilizing the same things up and down the scale.

You're welcome to relist all the DSP, blah blah's, but I don't get impressed that easily. In fact there's more of a chance to have problems as you complicate things. It isn't always so, but it's always inherent as possible. Also a high price tag doesn't always equate to better sound. It seems very easy to want to assume that to be true when the price tag is high enough to make anyone accept that fact it's not a small amount of money even if it's a small fraction of what they have.

Anyone that wants the Apologue (and can) should get it. It has aesthetics and Goldmund has nailed the luxury side of a luxury hobby. But for someone willing to spend the time and energy there's other avenues that will be more rewarding as you land exactly what you like and separate the very good from exceptional. But the time, energy, and money are extensive when you compare the alternative of Goldmund where you buy and then listen knowing it's going to be better than most stuff you would have cycled through your listening room.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I heard one a little lower on the totem pole. But their sound is carried throughout their different units, utilizing the same things up and down the scale.

You're welcome to relist all the DSP, blah blah's, but I don't get impressed that easily. In fact there's more of a chance to have problems as you complicate things. It isn't always so, but it's always inherent as possible. Also a high price tag doesn't always equate to better sound. It seems very easy to want to assume that to be true when the price tag is high enough to make anyone accept that fact it's not a small amount of money even if it's a small fraction of what they have.

Anyone that wants the Apologue (and can) should get it. It has aesthetics and Goldmund has nailed the luxury side of a luxury hobby. But for someone willing to spend the time and energy there's other avenues that will be more rewarding as you land exactly what you like and separate the very good from exceptional. But the time, energy, and money are extensive when you compare the alternative of Goldmund where you buy and then listen knowing it's going to be better than most stuff you would have cycled through your listening room.

If you personally have not had a demo of how you can adjust the Apologues bass, mid and high frequency output to suit a client's room and preferences then I would invite you, if interested,to have someone who familiar with the setup and adjustments that are available to give you a demo.

You can adjust bass, mid and treble output gain, while still maintaining time, phase and amplitude correction, in real time via a computer connected to the system processor/controller. This all allows complete room or customer preference customization.

You WOULD NEVER place a traditional speaker the size of the Apologue in a room as small as in the video.

The Apologue is different.

I really did not have or will ever have any intention of trying to impress you. I am not trying to impress anyone here. Just thought I would share. There are people that are interested in just discussing different approaches. At a certain level, imho, it's just different vs. better. That's to me, you might have different reasoning, probably do....cool.

Can't argue and pretty much agree with everything you say, except that I never said or do I think that spending more $$$ produce better sound. An set up expert can easily make a $20K system outperform, maybe other than scale, a $1M system. Of course that would be putting the $20K system in a well treated room, with a few "tweeks" and with excellent system set up, vs. an expensive system in an ok, but not even good room and less than premium set-up.

Different folks acquire different things for different reasons. An equation that works for one person most of the time, would not work for someone else.

For instance, I personally listen to streaming Tidal via Aurender/MSB as my source vs. DSD/high res pcm files, Transport, Vinyl or Tape. Tidal and it's selection of music "blows me away", it's a personal thing. Tidal streaming is sonically is last on my list between the other sources BUT Tidal sounds SO GOOD to me that I don't care if something sounds better. It works for me and I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about how I enjoy my music.

With equipment, everyone does not choose their systems based on your personal criteria or forum members criteria. Actually most of my Goldmund customers are very accomplished and have already set the criteria according to their personal situation. For many of these purchasers Goldmund is a GREAT fit.

You really have to understand someone's circumstances to fully understand why they would choose one option vs. another. It's not always about just how good something sounds. People's homes, rooms, family members, financial situation all are variables that come into play when choosing an audio system.

btw, even though there is a Goldmund "house sound", I would like to have this discussion with you after you heard a properly set up Apololgue system. There is a reason that the price goes up as you go up the line. Basically what you get over the smaller models is scale, spl possible levels and bass extension - by adding the Apologue bass modules, just as adding any top quality subs to a system....it changes everything.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
yes...they launched a speaker enclosure design contest a year or more ago. Radical new shape likely.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
already a new flagship replacement for the Goldmund Apologue Anniversary?

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2017/01/goldmund-new-flagship-speaker-is-coming.html#more

The Apologue Anniversary was a special 25 unit run celebrating 25 years since the original Apologue was introduced and was exhibited at MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) in Manhattan. As of December 24 of the Anniversary models had been sold, not sure if the last one is spoken for at this point???

The full Epilogue stack which was in production for over 10 years was the actual normally released Goldmund flagship for the last decade.

There are already customers asking for pricing and are interested in the new flagship model even before they have seen anything further than what was announced on Mono and Stereo.

Last edited:

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
I have had a Goldmund system for many years.
I am not one for changing equipment much, too much time wasted!
I have had Epilogs since they were first released. I have yet to hear better speakers.
My Mimesis 20, 22 and 29.4s are "resting" but I am enjoying the Epilogs as I type!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I have had a Goldmund system for many years.
I am not one for changing equipment much, too much time wasted!
I have had Epilogs since they were first released. I have yet to hear better speakers.
My Mimesis 20, 22 and 29.4s are "resting" but I am enjoying the Epilogs as I type!

I have about 50 Goldmund customers that I have had the pleasure of working with over the last 14 years that I have been representing Goldmund in the US. Most of them buy their systems and then just keep them. They don't upgrade, but they do pretty much all call me occasionally talking about music and how much they enjoy it on their systems. Almost none of them are on any audio forum.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have about 50 Goldmund customers that I have had the pleasure of working with over the last 14 years that I have been representing Goldmund in the US. Most of them buy their systems and then just keep them. They don't upgrade, but they do pretty much all call me occasionally talking about music and how much they enjoy it on their systems. Almost none of them are on any audio forum.

I think forumites are 10% of those OT people who like to indulge in another part of the hobby, discussing and swapping. Having a system like Goldmund actually means that part of the hobby of shifting gear will be less.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I think forumites are 10% of those OT people who like to indulge in another part of the hobby, discussing and swapping. Having a system like Goldmund actually means that part of the hobby of shifting gear will be less.

Hey Ked, yes, of course Goldmund systems are NOT for everyone for sure, but Goldmund customers are very content I can verify that.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hey Ked, yes, of course Goldmund systems are NOT for everyone for sure, but Goldmund customers are very content I can verify that.

True. Btw, people on this forum are seldom contented :)

Reactions: RussR

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Reactions: RussR

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Apologue Anniversary was a special 25 unit run celebrating 25 years since the original Apologue was introduced and was exhibited at MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) in Manhattan. As of December 24 of the Anniversary models had been sold, not sure if the last one is spoken for at this point???

The full Epilogue stack which was in production for over 10 years was the actual normally released Goldmund flagship for the last decade.

There are already customers asking for pricing and are interested in the new flagship model even before they have seen anything further than what was announced on Mono and Stereo.

Thanks! Please post information about the new flagship when you are allowed...would be very interested to learn more.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Thanks! Please post information about the new flagship when you are allowed...would be very interested to learn more.

Will do, but I think it will quite a while yet before there is any new information.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire

I came across Goldmund kit when it was imported into the UK by Absolute Sound. As an engineer who had worked on record players early in my career it was the turntables which drew my attention, since they were designed in a way that made perfect sense to me based on what I had learned myself. Later I bought a Goldmund Reference TT with T3f arm which I still use.
I bought the rest whilst living in France. I compared the Wilson WAMM to Goldmund Apologue and Analogue speakers at a superb dealer's, who retired some years ago, and found the Goldmunds preferable, particularly clean bass and instrumental timbre. I found that a new modular model was expected so arranged to compare it with the B&W Nautilus when it became available (this is a very short version of a loudspeaker quest lasting 2 years, I detest evaluating equipment so my intention was to choose speakers I would not be tempted to change).
It turned out to be the Epilog and, to my disappointment from a styling perspective, I preferred the Epilog to the Nautilus so ordered a pair. The Epilog 1 was available first and I was delighted. When the Epilog 2 was added I was surprised how small a SQ gain it was. In fact its biggest gain is in power handling and maximum loudness which was not all that important in my 15' x 30' room. Bass extension is increased to 26Hz -3dB though, which makes it measure full range in room. Based on that I decided against getting any more modules as pointless for my system. Anyway I have had them almost 20 years now and nothing I have heard since has convinced me I need to replace them.

For a different flavour I bought Tune Audio Anima horns, which I love, they are very different and my original intention had been to sell the Epilogs, but I still find myself going back to them.

As you say there is a broad range of music lovers with at one extreme people who hardly care about the equipment at all to those for whom the kit is more important than the music. As an impecunious student the guy in the next door room was a wealthy hifi enthusiast. He changed kit often and had very few records, all of which were either test records or well known demo favourites (this was 1970). It was nice to hear my LPs on his system but he could never listen to the music, just the sound. It was an all consuming hobby for him and he was really happy doiung it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fascinating F1eng...here are two photos of the Epilogue and Analogue without the covers...one shows the Epilogue cones facing inwards...is this correct?

Goldmund Epilogue.jpg Goldmund-Apologue-inside-4.jpg

Also, what are the approximately dimensions of your Epilogues? And do you happen to know the rough dimensions of the Apologue? Just curious. In certain pictures, they seem HUGE...

goldmund_picture_1306230440.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Mike, just curious, how do you know that this person did "minimal" research? This particular customer happened to own a $300K Goldmund system 10 years ago, owned a $600K Kondo system for the last several years, has heard 2 other Apologue systems, and four other different model Goldmund systems prior to purchase. That's not quite "minimal research".

What I did not fully appreciate about this $600K check is what is included: all amplification (3,600 watts) specifically designed for these speakers, and tune-able during setup i suppose. Plus the system runs wireless, so it 'includes' cables. Or least in terms of 'like for like', am i correct in saying $600k gets you:

- truly full range speakers (no sub)
- preamp...perhaps not? as Mimesis 36 was used in the Mono and Stereo article?
- amp
- all speaker cables and preamp/amp/'subwoofer' interconnects

While $600K is still $600K...dont get me wrong!...adding up the number of members with Transparent Opus, Nordost Valhalla, Masterbuilt cables, DartZeel, Boulder 3000 series, Gryphon, Lamm, Kondo, amps...and preamps...and Gothams, Fathoms, Velodynes, RELs...plus more cables for the subs...i could see the actual cost of the Apologue speaker part itself dropping to $300K-350K. Still huge money for a speaker...but if its up against the Magico horns, the WAMM, the Genesis 1.2/Dragons...then at least its sitting in the price range.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Lloyd, the limited edition Apologue is about 6 feet tall. Pictures here.

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2014/03/goldmund-apologue-speaker-system-demo.html

This particular unit is the prototype and was not as impressive as the more updated Anatta. However, the Apos have also been updated to Mark 2 software and Bob assures me that they beat even the Anattas now. Mind you, the Anatta demo has been the MOST impressive demo session I ever had. I heard things out of a RBCD track that I NEVER heard before.

The Anattas are about 5 to 5.5 feet tall.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing