Line vs. Point Source vs. Hybrid - What technology best to make speakers disappear?

caesar

May 30, 2010
What technology is best at making speakers disappear? Personally, I have enjoyed omnis and stats most, and rarely have enjoyed box speakers.

Which technology do you guys like better?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What technology is best at making speakers disappear? Personally, I have enjoyed omnis and stats most, and rarely have enjoyed box speakers.

Which technology do you guys like better?

Panels like Apogees, which are better and more real than stats without losing out on the bass element wrt boxes. Need more room though. But Mike's speakers disappear more, though he also has the best room by far.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Panels like Apogees, which are better and more real than stats without losing out on the bass element wrt boxes. Need more room though. But Mike's speakers disappear more, though he also has the best room by far.

Thanks. Dumb question for you: how do the panels do deep, impactful bass?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks. Dumb question for you: how do the panels do deep, impactful bass?

They don't, only Apogees do, because of the best 250 - 80 or a bit below midbass. For lower most bass, below 35, you need to cross them over to subs if you want those like woofers. But for tympani and kick drums, realism will be higher. The MM7s are the first ones that did it more realistically, though in the 250 - 80 Hz, it's a toss up.

You need a lot of current and proper room for Apogees though.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Panels like Apogees, which are better and more real than stats

Hmmmmm, cannot agree with such a blanket statment , a bit like me subjectively commenting that Apogees are coloured and less true to the source in mids and upper's when compared to ML,s

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
While speakers play a big role, I think amplifier and recording material matter more. Certain recordings are panned very hard left or right, and had too much frequency compression so they literally sound like they're coming from the speakers no matter what combination of electronics and speakers you have. To date my amp has given me the best "is the speaker on, what's it doing there?"

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
In answer to Caesar's original question, IMO the best technology is not a component, but a technique - proper setup. Addressing the acoustic wave-launch into the room and receiving it as best as possible at the listening seat is orders of magnitude more impactful.

caesar

May 30, 2010
In answer to Caesar's original question, IMO the best technology is not a component, but a technique - proper setup. Addressing the acoustic wave-launch into the room and receiving it as best as possible at the listening seat is orders of magnitude more impactful.

Thanks, Jim. Out of curiosity, when you work your set up magic, how do you figure out and account for people's taste?

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
Thanks, Jim. Out of curiosity, when you work your set up magic, how do you figure out and account for people's taste?

Never been a problem.

Honestly speaking, I've not found any clients, reviewers or industry persons who really had a true reference for what could be done with their own systems.

Once they heard it and experienced the power of the music, they were thrilled.

The most recent example - http://www.audioshark.org/general-audio-discussion-15/jim-smith-my-house-10781.html

But this thread is not about me - I simply meant that the answer to your question was more attuned to set-up than components.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing