Thoress Phono Enhancer vs. Aesthetix IO Signature

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
I think this design decision by Reinhard comes from the fact that the standard eq time constants doesn't give you a flat response anyway, because that is dependant also on the record, cartridge and phono stage. Tons of factors may alter the signal.
With Reinhards design, you may take these factors into account, to "calibrate" whatever non-riaa eq in the actual system.

Hmm I can see that point, but the purpose of variable equalisation is to be able to dial up what was done at mastering/cutting stage. Reinhard claims he is providing variable equalisation but the effect of it (set as it is by ear, with no reference whatsoever to the specific non-RIAA curves that the ability to vary equalisation settings is supposed to be compensating for) is to provide three-way tone controls.

I'm sure a lot of people quietly miss the days when every monster integrated out of the US or Japan had tone controls, but I think to sell this feature as variable equalisation (a much more 'respectable' proposition in today's market) is somewhat disingenuous.

I presume the Allnic is not in the same price range as the Thoress?

I think it depends what market you are in but I would put them in much the same bracket. I totally get that the Thoress might be of interest to some people (especially those insisting on high gain/no SUT), but primarily what disappointed me about it was that something that was touted for its flexibility didn't meet what I consider to be a fairly reasonable set of requirements.

A captive SUT like in the Allnic is less flexible, however. You can't optimally match both low and high impedance carts regardless of the SUT load provided. So, despite an extra interconnect needed, external is simply more flexible as it allows you to get the most out of any cart by selecting a SUT that is best suited.

Indeed my Miyajima SUTs give the ability to vary not just the primary setting but also the secondary, giving astonishing flexibilty. They also enable adjustment of the output impedance to suit phono stages that need something other than the standard 47k ohms. I can't recommend them more highly.

Last edited:

Reinhard

Mar 24, 2012
germany
On Thöress Phono Enhancer i assume.
That is impressive.
I don't know of any other tubed phono stage with 70dB gain. Must be difficult to keep it linear.

On the input resistors:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Nice to see you here Reinhard and thanks for joining in! It’s always nice to have a manufacturer/designer to chat with.

Howie

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
My apologies for the mis-assumption. I was speaking to Mr. Thoress and suggested he might like to chime into this thread...:rolleyes:

djsina2

May 30, 2019
My Audio Tekne has 80db I believe for the high output. I use it with their .1mv cartridge.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Here's a picture of the mk2 version. Notice the two grounds and also the "parking spots" for single coil mono. Maybe your picture is an old one?

You are looking at a unit specially made for the US distributor.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
My Thöress Phono Enhancer came with two ground posts as standard... and I'm just a regular UK consumer.

(FWIW, since receiving it a few years ago, I haven't once thought of changing to another phono preamp.)

Mani.

Reactions: andi and howiebrou

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Thank you all for your appreciations.
I have an Esoteric E-03.
It's a great preamplifier.
Two inputs MC and MM/MC.
Load impedance and capacities are adjustables.
With the VPI, I have some very little rumble.
The Technics is quiet, very quiet.

I hesitate to take the new Accuphase C47, but I'm thinking I will buy Zanden 120, or perhaps, Moodwright.

I post later when I will decide which I take.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing