Thoress Phono Enhancer vs. Aesthetix IO Signature

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hello Shaki,

I only tried the Thoress for a week in my system and used it for phono. My agent, just told me the Thoress can be used as tape head amp in P6. Is that true. And how does it sound?

Best regards,
Tang

Answering my own question, ha..ha.

The dealer for Thoress here informed me that the unit could be customized to do tape in P6 with eq for NAB or AES.
There is one person using it in BKK.

Tang

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Answering my own question, ha..ha.

The dealer for Thoress here informed me that the unit could be customized to do tape in P6 with eq for NAB or AES.
There is one person using it in BKK.

Tang

my King Cello tape repro (output electronics) is also a phono stage. simply 2 separate EQ's with adjustable gain. and I've used it as a phono stage in the past and it's a pretty good one.

in concept a pretty simple task for a phono stage.

Calle_jr

May 24, 2015
Sweden
www.euphonia-audioforum.se
in concept a pretty simple task for a phono stage.
Yes.
Riaa has time constants 75, 318 and 3180µs with +/-20dB attenuation 20/20000Hz, whereas iec/ccir has only one time constant 35µs for 15ips with only 13dB attenuation at 20kHz.

Hence the Thöress Super Preamp would also be possible to adapt for tape eq.
The Enhancer is very nice, but I really doubt I find the non-riaa possibilities useful compared to the necessity to control four knobs every time I play LP or tape.
I'm not the type of person who marks knob positions on my records.

Does anyone know the gain of Super Preamp (mc version) and/or Phono Enhancer?
It's actually a bit strange to have such thorough information on the tone curve, but no information at all on gain or sensitivity.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
gain / sensitivity is not shown on the URL, as this customized to the individual order. My Thoeress is optimized for carts between 0,2 and 0,4mv ( others will work)

Calle_jr

May 24, 2015
Sweden
gain / sensitivity is not shown on the URL, as this customized to the individual order. My Thoeress is optimized for carts between 0,2 and 0,4mv ( others will work)
Thanks. Shure, but the high gain mc version is typically fitted with 100ohm, 560ohm and 1kohm resistors. Why not specifying the gain instead of a series of cartridges that "will work"?
As you know, VERY high gain usually has a trade off in non linearities. And if you don't need that extreme high gain it may be beneficial.
It's not stated for the CD or HP inputs either. Well, HP is zero I guess.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
all resistors / input impedance are customized as well, all offered gains do sound the same ( at keast I know three versions) , but Reinhard Thoress is open for discussions , if you feel like a potential customer, you might adress your questions/suggestions with the manufacturer

Calle_jr

May 24, 2015
Sweden
Reinhard Thoress is open for discussions
Yes, he's a nice man. Thanks.
I discussed with him about the tape eq already. I am a customer.
How should I explain myself... Manipulation of the frequency and phase response is inherent in a phono stage. Very high gain combined with riaa eq for arbitrary cartridges is not an easy task. There usually are negative effects which can be avoided with a little less gain. Otherwise millions of people wouldn't use a stepup. Thöress (and some others) have solved this satisfactory.
Still, I would like to know these specifications, not just that it "works". It should be fairly easy to design a calculator.

If you design the most beautiful phono stage with a gain of say 60dB, you can't just bias that for 70dB and say it sounds the same.
Gain comes with a price.

Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I am only now finding out about the Thoress phono enhancer as I look for a further or new phono as 3 inputs would exceed my AR Ref 2. At 9300 euros and 6 inputs it would seem to be a veritable bargain and I'm surprised more don't use it unless it has shortcomings that I have not read about.
I"m looking for a musical phono, not one that is only blindingly resolving. Would the Thoress fit this bill?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
One ground terminal for 6 inputs!! crazy stupid.

If you order new, you can customize. I had 2 ground terminals on my Thoeress.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The separation of the rca plugs worries me a little. They seem on the picture to be very close set indeed. Would this prohibit some of the fatter cables?

View attachment 56241

The Thoeress is a full size PhonoStage, so fatter cables do work.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
If you order new, you can customize. I had 2 ground terminals on my Thoeress.

I know, I did the same thing on my TW/Thoress mk1 3 input phono stage. But it is stupidity that you even have to ask.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
So my question is, would this be an upgrade from an AR ref 2? How about ref 10?

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Here's a picture of the mk2 version. Notice the two grounds and also the "parking spots" for single coil mono. Maybe your picture is an old one?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing