Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Thoress Phono Enhancer vs. Aesthetix IO Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Hello Shaki,

I only tried the Thoress for a week in my system and used it for phono. My agent, just told me the Thoress can be used as tape head amp in P6. Is that true. And how does it sound?

Best regards,
    Tang
    Answering my own question, ha..ha.

The dealer for Thoress here informed me that the unit could be customized to do tape in P6 with eq for NAB or AES.
    There is one person using it in BKK.

Tang

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Answering my own question, ha..ha.

The dealer for Thoress here informed me that the unit could be customized to do tape in P6 with eq for NAB or AES.
    There is one person using it in BKK.

Tang
    my King Cello tape repro (output electronics) is also a phono stage. simply 2 separate EQ's with adjustable gain. and I've used it as a phono stage in the past and it's a pretty good one.

in concept a pretty simple task for a phono stage.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    in concept a pretty simple task for a phono stage.
    Yes.
    Riaa has time constants 75, 318 and 3180µs with +/-20dB attenuation 20/20000Hz, whereas iec/ccir has only one time constant 35µs for 15ips with only 13dB attenuation at 20kHz.

Hence the Thöress Super Preamp would also be possible to adapt for tape eq.
    The Enhancer is very nice, but I really doubt I find the non-riaa possibilities useful compared to the necessity to control four knobs every time I play LP or tape.
    I'm not the type of person who marks knob positions on my records.

Does anyone know the gain of Super Preamp (mc version) and/or Phono Enhancer?
    It's actually a bit strange to have such thorough information on the tone curve, but no information at all on gain or sensitivity.
    If changes in sound are very small then they are not important.

gain / sensitivity is not shown on the URL, as this customized to the individual order. My Thoeress is optimized for carts between 0,2 and 0,4mv ( others will work)

Quote Originally Posted by shakti View Post
    gain / sensitivity is not shown on the URL, as this customized to the individual order. My Thoeress is optimized for carts between 0,2 and 0,4mv ( others will work)
    Thanks. Shure, but the high gain mc version is typically fitted with 100ohm, 560ohm and 1kohm resistors. Why not specifying the gain instead of a series of cartridges that "will work"?
    As you know, VERY high gain usually has a trade off in non linearities. And if you don't need that extreme high gain it may be beneficial.
    It's not stated for the CD or HP inputs either. Well, HP is zero I guess.

all resistors / input impedance are customized as well, all offered gains do sound the same ( at keast I know three versions) , but Reinhard Thoress is open for discussions , if you feel like a potential customer, you might adress your questions/suggestions with the manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by shakti View Post
    Reinhard Thoress is open for discussions
    Yes, he's a nice man. Thanks.
    I discussed with him about the tape eq already. I am a customer.
    How should I explain myself... Manipulation of the frequency and phase response is inherent in a phono stage. Very high gain combined with riaa eq for arbitrary cartridges is not an easy task. There usually are negative effects which can be avoided with a little less gain. Otherwise millions of people wouldn't use a stepup. Thöress (and some others) have solved this satisfactory.
    Still, I would like to know these specifications, not just that it "works". It should be fairly easy to design a calculator.

If you design the most beautiful phono stage with a gain of say 60dB, you can't just bias that for 70dB and say it sounds the same.
    Gain comes with a price.
    Last edited by Calle_jr; 12-24-2017 at 01:09 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345