Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sonus Faber Liuto Monitor vs Cremona Auditor M: Opinions please

Quote Originally Posted by paolo View Post
    Well, here it is, damn near a year later. I'm remiss in not posting sooner. My upgraded tube amps are a magical match with my Cremona Auditor M's. I've been living with the pairing for about the past nine months- usually listening many hours a day. This is the first time in all my years of participation in the world of two-channel home audio, that I finally feel that the sound of reproduced music in my home is completely satisfactory. Some might say that the the upgraded amps and Sonus Faber are "too much of a good thing" but not me. I'll spare you any further superlatives except to say that I'm thrilled, and appropriately enough for the season, extremely thankful.
    Paolo, SF monitors love tube amps. Also, the further you can get them away from the rear wall, the better. BTW, I wouldn’t discount the use of subwoofers. In my small dedicated room, a pair of REL subwoofers work very well with my SF GH’s. Cremona Auditor’s, like G’s, lack the ability to go much below 45Hz...and there is a lot of foundation of music below 45Hz!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyF View Post
    Paolo, SF monitors love tube amps. Also, the further you can get them away from the rear wall, the better. BTW, I wouldn’t discount the use of subwoofers. In my small dedicated room, a pair of REL subwoofers work very well with my SF GH’s. Cremona Auditor’s, like G’s, lack the ability to go much below 45Hz...and there is a lot of foundation of music below 45Hz!
    Hi Davey,
    Thank you for your post. I have the CAM's out about 4' from the front wall and about 1.5' from the side walls. Toe-in is such that when seated in an equilateral triangle, I don't see any of the inner side of the speakers. I do have a pair of Andrew Jones powered subs which I'm considering employing. The room is sparse except for some ASC tube traps in the front corners and in the middle of the front wall, which has a large window. I may construct some acoustic panels using thick batting and experiment with those.

And of course, there's always the question of how much improvement I'd get if I were to step up in the SF monitor line. . Meanwhile, I'm awaiting news of a significant upgrade for my MFA tube preamp. Once the audio engineer/designer who is developing the modification tells me it's ready, I think that's where I'd put my money- not speakers.

One question: where are your RELs positioned?

Thanks again.
    Paolo

REL / SF pairings

Hi Davey,
    Thank you for your post. I have the CAM's out about 4' from the front wall and about 1.5' from the side walls. Toe-in is such that when seated in an equilateral triangle, I don't see any of the inner side of the speakers. I do have a pair of Andrew Jones powered subs which I'm considering employing. The room is sparse except for some ASC tube traps in the front corners and in the middle of the front wall, which has a large window. I may construct some acoustic panels using thick batting and experiment with those.

And of course, there's always the question of how much improvement I'd get if I were to step up in the SF monitor line. . Meanwhile, I'm awaiting news of a significant upgrade for my MFA tube preamp. Once the audio engineer/designer who is developing the modification tells me it's ready, I think that's where I'd put my money- not speakers.

One question: where are your RELs positioned?

Thanks again.
    Paolo
    Hi Paolo,
    Great to here all is well in your listening world....when I purchased my REL G-2's I was lucky enough to have the REL guy there when I picked them up. They had a pair of CAM's there so we matched them up. REL's slightly behind the CAM's and to the outside (6" - 8") off each...as I recall crossover between 45 - 50 depending on room. In my listening room they are set up on the diagonal of each corner toed in off the diagonal pointing approx at my shoulders. Totally seamless and for a small room incredible bass. REL and Sonus Faber enjoy a great synergy!
    Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by ptrck887 View Post
    Hi Paolo,
    Great to here all is well in your listening world....when I purchased my REL G-2's I was lucky enough to have the REL guy there when I picked them up. They had a pair of CAM's there so we matched them up. REL's slightly behind the CAM's and to the outside (6" - 8") off each...as I recall crossover between 45 - 50 depending on room. In my listening room they are set up on the diagonal of each corner toed in off the diagonal pointing approx at my shoulders. Totally seamless and for a small room incredible bass. REL and Sonus Faber enjoy a great synergy!
    Enjoy!
    Thank you, ptrck. I hooked up my Andrew Jones 8" powered subs. They are placed in diagonal corners of the room. Upper right, and lower left. I'm crossing them over at about 65 and have been adjusting the volume knobs on the subs to achieve as seamless integration as possible. So far, so good. I'm liking what I'm hearing. Not looking for drama but simply more bottom.

Funny: I had one surprise the other day while listening to Faure's Requiem. I had my eyes closed and was floating along with the music when all of a sudden, the organ kicked in with some very low notes, which gave me a bit of a jolt. Hadn't hear those notes before with just the CAM's.

Addicted to Best!
    Thank you, ptrck. I hooked up my Andrew Jones 8" powered subs. They are placed in diagonal corners of the room. Upper right, and lower left. I'm crossing them over at about 65 and have been adjusting the volume knobs on the subs to achieve as seamless integration as possible. So far, so good. I'm liking what I'm hearing. Not looking for drama but simply more bottom.

Funny: I had one surprise the other day while listening to Faure's Requiem. I had my eyes closed and was floating along with the music when all of a sudden, the organ kicked in with some very low notes, which gave me a bit of a jolt. Hadn't hear those notes before with just the CAM's.
    Fantastic...when i had SF's i definitely ran them with a big Velodyne and it was a great combination. Enjoy!
    Speaker: Wilson X1 + Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amp: CJ GAT2 + Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: TA Opus Gen5&MM2 + PAD 25th Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches: Under: HRS.Stillpoints.Auralex Top: HRS.Artesania.Entreq.EAT.90kg Mass Damping
    Power/Ground&Shield: 7 x 16A Furutech . Burmester948 . NordostQX4 / Tripoint Troy Sig+Thor . Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex.Mullard
    Headphone: Sennheiser 650 . Arcam rHead . ApogeeGroove

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12