Umbilical Between Triton and Typhon

number95

May 14, 2014
Can anyone who has experimented with different lengths tell me if length of cable makes a difference to performance of Typhon? I just consider the length as parameter. I experienced different power cords and each of them had a direct impact to the sound. But I could not have chance to try same cable but different length.

Thx,

Hakan

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Shunyata says the shorter the better

number95

May 14, 2014
Shunyata says the shorter the better

Is there a technical explanation for that? Or do they recommmend a specific minimum length?

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Can anyone who has experimented with different lengths tell me if length of cable makes a difference to performance of Typhon? I just consider the length as parameter. I experienced different power cords and each of them had a direct impact to the sound. But I could not have chance to try same cable but different length.

Thx,

Hakan

Hello Hakan,

The Typhon does not actively draw current, as an amp might-- The Typhon is a device that interacts passively with the AC line it connects to. Typhon simply connects to an AC line as an interactive (noise reducing, dynamics enhancing device for amps or as part of the Triton v2). As such, it is critical to manage and reduce impedance (resistance) from the connecting umbilical. This allows the technology designed into the Typhon to become an integral part of the power line itself.

We have sold hundreds of these units for one reason--they make a demonstrable, quantitate difference when evaluated. We specifically designed a power umbilical that is ideal for the application--measured, listened to, compared to other power umbilicals. We ship that umbilical as part of the Typhon package . The umbilical Caelin designs is what we recommend for obvious reasons. You are free to choose another cord of whatever length or type works for you, but it will not deliver what we intended because what Caelin does is measure and calibrate every aspect of these designs. Your results are what they will be--variable in the case of an odd connecting power umbilical. The more of an electrical system I can control, whether medical, pro or audio, the more predictable the result. I think our track record speaks for itself.

We design products in a very specific way and with a science-based purpose behind the design from beginning to end. I'd be happy to help with your system questions if you would like to contact us directly or have any follow up here.

Signal (audio) cables can be mix and match to come up with a pleasing balance. Power is different ( from our POV). Electrical is more right or wrong, better or worse -not mix and match to find the right flavor. Typhon is a single component of an integrated power system. If I can control an electrical delivery system, whether for Pink Floyd, Rick Rubin or medical, I know what the result will be before I start. It's different in the consumer audio business, dropping one product into a system with different products at hand. It should be consistent, but the more advice I can offer, the better the likely outcome.

I'd be happy to offer application advice based on your dedicated lines and system. Feel free to contract me at grant@shunyata.com with your basics for electrical (dedicated lines, breakers etc)

Best regards,

Grant

number95

May 14, 2014
Thanks Grant. Sent you an email.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
The reason for the short length ( 1 meter ), is because the current flow between the Triton and Typhon is extremely weak. There is no useful current drawn through that cable, so it is designed to be extremely low in impedance. Added length over 1 meter affected performance negatively in our trials, so we kept it as short as possible, realizing of course that this may make the connection between the two units more challenging in some systems. The 1 meter length allows the parallel effect of the Typhon on the entire circuit to be very apparent. The longer power cords, say 1.5 meter and up, start to diminish Typhon's impact on sound quality.

Best regards,

Grant

number95

May 14, 2014
The reason for the short length ( 1 meter ), is because the current flow between the Triton and Typhon is extremely weak. There is no useful current drawn through that cable, so it is designed to be extremely low in impedance. Added length over 1 meter affected performance negatively in our trials, so we kept it as short as possible, realizing of course that this may make the connection between the two units more challenging in some systems. The 1 meter length allows the parallel effect of the Typhon on the entire circuit to be very apparent. The longer power cords, say 1.5 meter and up, start to diminish Typhon's impact on sound quality.

Best regards,

Grant

Excellent information! Thank you Grant.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing