Any Pass XVR-1 Electronic crossover users?

jrawwas

Nov 6, 2016
Minnesota, USA
Hello
I am new to this forum and I am interested in the different implementations and settings of Pass XVR-1 in different systems.
Thanks for posting.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
YES!

I am using the XVR1 Three way with my Infinity IRS-V.

Do you have a specific question?

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
Using active crossovers is not plug and play especially if you have no, or a limited, understanding of crossovers or have never done any measurements before.

The Pass Labs XVR-1 manual (on website if you don't own the unit) is very thorough, provides a general overview of crossovers and what they do, and describes several examples of how to use one and measure results. Even if you're not new at using active crossovers, it will take several reads as the unit has many settings.

The settings on everyone's XVR-1 will be different depending on the speakers they're using. Our results won't apply to you unless you own the same speakers/ subwoofers, etc. Not likely.

Once you understand how crossovers work, if you decide to skip taking measurements and adjust the XVR-1 by ear alone, it's likely you will not end up with an optimal result. If you are going to take measurements, I'd suggest Room EQ Wizard (REW). It's freeware and you can find and download it on the Internet, but you still need a mic and a laptop. Be prepared to spend several hours getting the program set up, understanding measurements, and learning how to use the program! In addition to REW, I use a test signal and a DVM to level match left and right channels precisely.

In summary, if you decide to go this route, be prepared for a fair amount of work if you're new at this. You are more likely to get better sound with a lot less work just by adjusting your room setup/using room treatments or replacing lower level components.

Hope this helps.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Please share the setting on your XVR-1 and how you arrived at it. Did you take measurements ? what tools did you use?Thanks

I am using almost the same slopes and crossover points and slopes as the original crossover design. The slopes are 12 dB/octave and the crossover points I am using are 106 Hz and 5300 Hz. The system is tri-amplified.

The original woofer to midrange crossover point was selectable over a small range and the 106 Hz I am using is in that range.

As Barry mentioned above, the points and slopes he or I am using are actually not applicable to you unless you are using the same speaker system. Each set of speakers and drivers will have their own best points and slopes. Also as Barry said, using REW is a great help.

What speaker are you using?

jrawwas

Nov 6, 2016
Minnesota, USA
Thank you both. I have been using active crossovers in my 2 systems for about a year now and enjoy the results. I have both First Watt B4 and Pass XVR-1. Both are biamped systems. For simplicity I have been using a second order crossover ( 12dB/octave) for both high pass and low pass. In one system the crossover point between woofer unit and midrange/high unit is 175 Hz and in the other 188 Hz. Measurements were taken using CLIO tools from Audiomatica.

I am curious if people have used:
1. third or fourth order crossovers and what the advantages were.
2. Using different crossover frequencies for the high and low pass and the rationale behind that.
3. Linkewitz-Riley type crossover which I have not tried.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I have not tried any of the three things you mentioned although the first two are possible with the XVR1.

I am happy with my system so quite frankly, it would be a big hassle for me to move the amplifiers, pull everything out of the shelves, open the cases and play with the jumpers again.

Why don't you try those and let us know.

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
I am curious if people have used:
1. third or fourth order crossovers and what the advantages were.
2. Using different crossover frequencies for the high and low pass and the rationale behind that.
3. Linkewitz-Riley type crossover which I have not tried.

Read the manual and follow the 3 pictorial examples given. The objectives are to get: 1) a flat summed frequency response from all the drivers; 2) minimum phase anomalies 3) without exceeding the frequency range the drivers are designed for.

Question 1: Higher order slopes achieve goal 3 but the trade off is possible problems with goal 2. Higher order crossover slopes have more phase problems in the passband which is why Nelson Pass says he rarely uses them. They are quite common however in use with subwoofers where the crossover frequencies are below 100Hz and you can't hear phase distortions as much.
question 2: This might be required to get goal 1 but could cause problems with 2 & 3. My original passive Magnepan crossovers and XVR-1-3 settings that emulate them not only use different frequencies; but also, different slopes i.e. are asymmetric.
Question 3: Unlike Butterworth and some other types of crossover configurations, Linkwitz-Riley filters when used symmetrically have the advantage that they sum flat at the crossover point e.g. some others have a frequency bump of a few dB. The XVR-1 18dB and 24 dB octave filters are Linkwitz-Riley configurations. An L-R filter is 6dB down at the crossover frequency unlike a Butterworth which is down 3dB. This is required knowledge if you are matching drivers with different slope settings.

All this is to say use measurements and your ears to get the best result but you'll need to read the manual to understand what you are doing and why and get there with the least amount of work. As the manual states you can spend a lot of time playing with this. I've spent a few hundred hours.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing