The Future Of Theta

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well I thought I would get this forum started with the generic question asking the future of Theta.

Certainly over the years Theta has made some sensational products with a very serious and loyal following. With the sale of the company however Thet has fallen off the radar with false hope and promises for the much awaited HDMI 1.3 version of the CB lll. Unfortunately expectations have risen and fallen at last year's CEDIA and CES shows.

So to all Theta owners, what are your plans? Are you holding out for the ugrade or have you moved on and if so what did you switch to

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I was hunting for a high powered multichannel amp and the contenders were the BAT VK-6200, Moon Titan and Theta Dreadnaught III.

Theta's website is an absolute mess when it comes to this amplifier. I think even professional installers would get a headache with how convoluted the description and options are. I hope they can fix this. It turned me off enough to scratch it off my list. I ended up ordering the BAT.

I still have a Pro Prime II and Pearl Combo from the 90s and they hold up quite well to many well regarded transport and Dac combos of today. Probably my best deal in my audio history since I got both for about $500. I got my Emms for a good price too being ex-dealer demos, but the CDSD tray keeps screwing up and the DCC2 SE keeps screwing up as well. The reason I bring this up is that when the Emms go down the antiques are normally what get pressed into service.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I still own a Theta Pro Generation II. I first heard it at Audio Excellence in San Francisco back in 1990. Liked it enough I bought one. The top DAC then was the ML No.30 I recall. I never got to update but still, I can enjoy my CDs with this DAC running with a Philips transport.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I sold my CBIII and Six Shooter after they missed the 1Q 2010 date posted on their site for the HDMI upgrade release. Mine was a demo unit at a good price, so didn't take much of a loss. Best sounding processor I've owned, and that includes Meridian and some of the other usual suspects.

A major issue I see and one that informed my decision to sell is how the company which has no software dept. and apparently very limited resources will deal with the inevitable firmware updates that will be needed. With the exception of Meridian who is as much a software company as a hardware company, no one has gotten HDMI right w/o problems on their first release. Much as I want to see Theta succeed, I've arrived at the opinion the processors are beyond the reach of boutique companies.

Have been using an Onkyo 9.8 for the last few years for hi-rez HT -- still waiting for a processor that is exactly what I'm looking for.

Bulldogger

Apr 20, 2010
Clinton,MS
Because I am in the process of relocating, the time that it takes for the upgrade does not mean much right now. Nevertheless it would reassuring to see the company operating in a professional manner. Many say that they still prefer the Xtreme dacs for redbook. If the dacs are still that good, the CBIII should be at the top of the pile for sound quality with higher resolutions. Low rez sounds largely the same, through most processors,IMO.

Bulldogger

Apr 20, 2010
Clinton,MS
I asked AGAIN today, "Hello Mr. Magee:

Absolutely! It's still the number one priority for the company, and is getting the lion's share of resources internally.

Best,

Carl Nicolson
Theta Digital
1749 Chapin Road
Montebello CA 90640
USA
+1 (818) 572-4300 voice
+1 (323) 278-0083 fax
tech.thetadigital@gmail.com

> Can is I assume the HDMI upgrade for the Casablanca is still moving forward? Sorry but I have to keep asking,lol.
>

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
I got a smokin' deal on my five Theta Enterprise amps a few years back and even with Theta from a practical standpoint being around in name only now, I am glad to keep my amps.

For now I am keeing my CB3 and Six Shooter and am seriously contemplating getting a Marantz universal player because when Mark Haflich says Theta is in his opinion a goner, and all signs except for Carl point that way, what else needs be said?

Really, its all Theta's fault. If Theta isn't dead in the water, they could be releasing some beta units and giving good updates to us. All they do is give us sales rubbish. Enough is enough!

Bulldogger

Apr 20, 2010
Clinton,MS
I think there is now hope. I still need to see more from the company to think that will survive long term. They already make amps and have engineers for that. The question will be what other engineering talent will they bring on board? The will certainly need that unless they just want to be basically ,"modders."

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Looks like Theta is back on the ball. Casablanca now has HDMI 4x 1.4 along with some other stuff. The rest of the line is still there, Citadel, Dreadnaught, DAC and Uni transport.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I think we will be able to answer the question on Theta's future in a year.

Given that Lexicon quit, the Theta CB was one of the remaining high end SSP's that I would consider once they get Dirac working.

Given my new interest, I recently asked a Theta dealer some questions and he said he did not have answers and would forward to Theta. Three weeks later, I had not heard anything, sent a follow up email and got responses from the dealer, not Theta. And many of my questions were not answered -- even after re-asking.

This does not give me the confidence to move forward. And I continue to hear on AVS about continual hardware/software issues, even with the CBIII HD about system hang-ups which require re-booting (an issue I had with each of my CB iterations). And, has been asked previously, will they have the resources in house to provide quick and reliable updates to the issues that will surely exist with the implementation of Dirac. (which apparently has been delayed from June until some time later this year - [here we go again??]).

Next year at this time, Dirac should be implemented and it's stability issues, if any, exposed as well as the support necessary to keep customers happy. If all is well, I would definitely place them near the top of my list.

But we shall see!!

Theatermax

Dec 30, 2013
The Theta Casablanca IV with Dirac Shipped this week !

We are very proud to say the First Casablanca IV with Dirac room correction shipped this past week !!

Here are some nice High Res pics for you to enjoy !

Happy New Year !

photo 5.jpg
photo 4.jpg
photo 3.jpg

boonyarat

Jan 7, 2011
Bangkok , THAILAND
THETA DIGITAL in CES 2014 !

boonyarat

Jan 7, 2011
Bangkok , THAILAND
Finally Theta Digital announces the big update change on CASABLANCA IVa and CASABLANCA V :)

THETA DIGITAL
ANNOUNCES TWO NEW CASABLANCA PREAMP PROCESSORS
BOTH WITH DOLBY ATMOS®, AURO-3D® AND DTS:X® (READY)
CASABLANCA 4a SUPPORTS 7.1.4; CASABLANCA 5 HAS UP TO 24 CHANNELS;
ADDS NEW 24/192 ONBOARD DACS FOR THE CASABLANCA 5 WITH A 12-CHANNEL STAND-ALONE VERSION FOR USE WITH ANY CASABLANCA;
CONTINUES UPGRADE PROGRAMS FOR EARLIER CASABLANCA PREAMPS

Montebello, CA, January 6, 2015 - The most widely acclaimed manufacturer of high-end audio components, Theta Digital, today introduced two new versions of its flagship Music and Cinema Controller: the Casablanca IVa and the Casablanca V. Originally introduced over 19 years ago, the Casablanca platform has undergone continuous development designed to maintain its position at the forefront of the audiophile world. In its latest iteration, the Casablanca IVa adds decoding for the new 3D audio formats: Dolby Atmos® and Auro-3D® with future upgradeability to DTS:X® and maintains Dirac Live ® 96K digital room correction and optimization and Theta's proprietary Jitter Jail II.

To denote the new version, the Casablanca IVa has new metalwork and a new display window. MSRP for the Casablanca IVa is $17,995.00(Base unit only without DAC) with availability in Q2, 2015.

The Casablanca V doubles the number of channels in the platform to 24, continues the advanced decoding capabilities with Dolby Atmos®, Auro-3D® and DTS:X ® (ready) and adds an HDMI 2.0 4K capable video card with 8 in and 2 out.

With the Casablanca V, Theta Digital also announces a new, 6-channel on-board DAC: the Xtreme D-3. Based on Theta Digital's legendary and award-winning Generation VIII $15,000 outboard DAC, the Xtreme D-3 uses the same fully balanced circuit topology, Burr Brown PCM-1792 DAC's (with two per channel), fully discrete resistor ladder volume controls and high-end op-amps to capture much of the magic of the Generation VIII.

As the Casablanca V platform supports only 3 output slots and 18 on-board output channels, Theta Digital is also announcing a stand-alone 12-channel version of the Xtreme D-3 DAC. Designed to be used with Theta Digital's 12-channel Digi-Out card and Theta's proprietary "Volume Data" circuitry, the combination brings the Casablanca V's output to 24 channels with volume control for both the on-board and outboard DAC's controlled directly by the Casablanca V.

MSRP for the Casablanca V is $21,995.00( Base unit only without DAC ). The 6-channel Xtreme D-3 DAC is $4,995.00. The outboard 12-channel Xtreme D-3 is $11,995.00. All will be available in Q3, 2015.

According to Dave Reich, Theta Digital's chief engineer, "Working on the Casablanca is a labor of love for all involved. We are thrilled to be able to extend the Casablanca experience to 3-D audio."

Theta Digital also announced new programs designed to allow owners of previous generations of the Casablanca preamp/processor to keep their components up-to-date.

Owners of the current Casablanca III HD, for example, can upgrade their unit to full Casablanca IVa status for $6,995.00. This extensive upgrade adds processing for Dolby Atmos® and Auro-3D®. Dirac Live® 96K and Jitter Jail® II, a new display window, new metal "Theta Digital" tower, new firmware and new software.

Casablanca owners wishing to move up to the Casablanca V will be offered a trade-in program.

Users seeking more details on the new model or the upgrade program should consult their Theta Digital dealer or distributor.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing