Linn announces new Klimax DS

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Can someone please describe the Linn sonic signature, preferably by comparing it and contrasting it with other well-known products? Thank you

caesar,

The Linn Klimax is the 3rd best DAC I've ever heard. Only MSB SELECT and Reference are better. So if you don't consider these two out-of-this-world units, the Linn is the best. Perhaps the new Aqua Formula xHD will take that position, but I haven't received an upgraded unit yet...

One of the most impressive things in it is how it conveys the weight of the notes/music, like a good analog setup. There's A LOT of energy there. I believe Keith has heard the Linn a couple of times when he visited the store...

Hifi Boy

Sep 16, 2017
caesar,

The Linn Klimax is the 3rd best DAC I've ever heard. Only MSB SELECT and Reference are better. So if you don't consider these two out-of-this-world units, the Linn is the best. Perhaps the new Aqua Formula xHD will take that position, but I haven't received an upgraded unit yet...

One of the most impressive things in it is how it conveys the weight of the notes/music, like a good analog setup. There's A LOT of energy there. I believe Keith has heard the Linn a couple of times when he visited the store...
What about Chord Dave?

Hifi Boy

Sep 16, 2017
Dave + Blu2 would be closer to top level analog. MSB would be an expensive piece metal in comparison.
For some reason, when I listened to Dave + Blu2, I didn't hear anything special. Not sure why. But the fact remains, Dave by itself is still my reference quality DAC. I would on the other hand like to hear what Linn has to offer.

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
For some reason, when I listened to Dave + Blu2, I didn't hear anything special. Not sure why. But the fact remains, Dave by itself is still my reference quality DAC. I would on the other hand like to hear what Linn has to offer.

How can you think Dave + Blu2 is nothing special while Dave by itself is reference quality? :confused::confused::confused:

Hifi Boy

Sep 16, 2017
How can you think Dave + Blu2 is nothing special while Dave by itself is reference quality? :confused::confused::confused:
Because I didn't hear any difference. I have no idea whether upsampling was turned off, or the model was faulty, or whatever, but that's what I heard - nothing different from Dave itself.

If I could hear it in a quiet environment by myself, then I assume I could make sure its properly set up, but this was at a show.

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Because I didn't hear any difference. I have no idea whether upsampling was turned off, or the model was faulty, or whatever, but that's what I heard - nothing different from Dave itself.

If I could hear it in a quiet environment by myself, then I assume I could make sure its properly set up, but this was at a show.

It was day and night difference. Even at a show you should tell from the first note. If you cant hear that then need to see a doctor to get your ear check. :D

Hifi Boy

Sep 16, 2017
It was day and night difference. Even at a show you should tell from the first note. If you cant hear that then need to see a doctor to get your ear check. :D
How come I can hear the difference between a Hugo 2 and Dave then?

Hifi Boy

Sep 16, 2017
Blu2 bring significant more difference compared to Hugo2.
I'm not saying that it doesn't. I'm saying that I didn't hear those differences because, maybe, the system was faulty or the upsampling was turned off.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing