Linn announces new Klimax DS

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Linn has launched the all new Klimax DS, the first product to feature Katalyst DAC Architecture – Linn’s 4th generation DAC platform. “Katalyst takes an unprecedented level of control over the critical elements that lie at the heart of the analogue signal’s creation, to deliver the most accurate reproduction ever from a digital source” claims the Scottish brands recent press release.In 2007 Linn launched their original DS player and in 2016, the five key aspects below have been improved utilising Linn’s investments in R&D:Reference Level – Now completely isolated from noise to produce a high-stability input Reference Level that generates the signal’s amplitude without variation.Independent Power Supplies – Independent, isolated power supplies are tailored for each process, so feedback from one process cannot influence the performance of another.Data Optimisation – Linn-designed data optimisation stage that prepares the digital signal for conversion with greater accuracy, minimising errors right at the start of the process.Master Clock – A single high precision clock with its own independent power supply ensures greater timing accuracy throughout.Output Driver – The new ultra-low distortion analogue output driver prepares the analogue signal for transmission out of the device, making it less susceptible to noise and degradation.Every aspect of the original DS design was carefully drawn from first principles in order to optimise performance, from the electronics inside to the clamshell enclosure, machined from a solid billet of aluminium. Products and PricingThe new Klimax DS and Klimax DSM featuring Katalyst DAC Architecture are available today in silver or black anodised finishes, with upgrades available for current owners.

We currently have a unit in the store, available for auditions!

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Alan Sircom of HiFi+ got the exclusive:

Linn Klimax DS network music player | Hi-Fi+

Some quotes:

"Linn retains a loyal following, for good reason. And the Klimax demonstrates a major part of that good reason. If you are the owner of an existing Klimax, you don’t end up consigning that expensive streamer to trade-in or eBay hell. Instead, if you want, your existing Klimax gets the full DS/3 treatment, and you get your old Klimax DS/2 back in a basic ‘Renew DS’ box. And now it’s time to call on the hackneyed car analogy, because that’s like driving your one or two generation old Mercedes S-Class into the showroom, asking the salesperson if they could turn your old S-Class into a new S-Class, then give you back the original drivetrain, electronics, safety features, and interior of that older S-Class, in a new C-Class body. What you do with your Renew DS is up to you: an initial comparison is obvious, but then you could use it to extend your system to another room, adding amp and speakers along the way, you could hand it down to a family member or friend (+500 brownie points guaranteed), or you will get very good money for it if you choose to sell it on. Whatever you choose to do, Linn’s ‘leave no Klimaxer behind’ plan seems eminently sensible to me."

"
Like the best LP replay systems, you can follow every line of the music, without losing sight of the composition and intent of the music. This was possible with the Klimax DS/2, because of that streamer’s unfatiguing delivery and inherently ‘undigital’ treble, but the level of musical insight the DS/3 brings to the music just makes the whole process a lot more organic, in the way you might turn your attention from one musician to another, or from melody to harmony, when listening to live music."

"
In fact, the first three words I wrote on my note pad sum up the Klimax DS/3 effect better than all the other 1997 or so words written here. And I wrote them in capitals and underlined them twice for good measure: Holy. Living. F**k. That’s the ten-second later comment, and it was still relevant at the time I put away the note-pad. I’ve not heard every single digital device, but I’ve heard a lot of them, and Klimax DS/3 is the best of the ones I’ve heard, or at least the best I’ve heard that don’t cost as much as a decent luxury car. And even at the super-lofty end of high-end digital, the Klimax DS/3 stands with the best of them, and even shows a clean pair of heels to some of audio’s upper echelon with ease. It might even be the best of all of them, and therefore comes profoundly recommended."

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
wow...some strong words there! i have heard the original many years ago w/ CJ premier 350/Premier preamp and B&W 803s. Could not speak too much about the source, as i did not know the system particularly well. Would be interested in hearing the latest version.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
It should be fairly easy for you to audition one there in the UK, if possible, in your own system. We've been trying to make sure that people understand that this works with any system, not only Linn's amps/speakers.

The DSM model also works as a line preamp, and will even handle audio/video through HDMI.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
...and no roon :rolleyes:

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Not yet. They're working on it.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Not yet. They're working on it.

Having said that one of the nice things about the Linn KDS is the Kazoo control point. In my case it integrates really well with Qobuz which i prefer to Tidal (although it works well with Tidal too).

So yesterday I was visiting a dealer for a demo and they had a Linn KDS/3 in their listening room. I was able to use the Kazoo app on my iPhone which automatically connected with the dealer's KDS with zero fuss. In less than a minute I was browsing through my own collection of music (on Qobuz) and streaming this to the Linn KDS. I buy a lot of downloads from Qobuz too and I was able to access these too.

So yes I use Roon at home and like it a lot but it always surprises me how well the Linn/Kazoo thing works.

Guillaume

caesar

May 30, 2010
Can someone please describe the Linn sonic signature, preferably by comparing it and contrasting it with other well-known products? Thank you

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Can someone please describe the Linn sonic signature, preferably by comparing it and contrasting it with other well-known products? Thank you

Caesar- perhaps this might jog your memory. I had the Wadia 861 followed by a Linn Unidisk. The Linn was considerably more musical and analog with excellent flow (and was a DVDP!). The Wadia was all about detail and pinpoint imaging. Linn develops all their own chips etc which is rare (and costly).

I have not A/Bd the Klimax but probably will at some point vs the incoming MSB Premier dac.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Not really.
They say they are, but nothing happens.

See here, the posting from Danny Dulai, COO of roon from January the 9th this year:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/linn-ds-support/1903/176

They even locked the according thread on the Linn forum:
https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=34588&page=56 :(
Looks like they are fed up with people asking for progress in this matter :rolleyes:

OK, so I take it you know more than I do, both a Linn *and* Roon partner. Sure... Oh, the joys of Internet...

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Having said that one of the nice things about the Linn KDS is the Kazoo control point. In my case it integrates really well with Qobuz which i prefer to Tidal (although it works well with Tidal too).

So yesterday I was visiting a dealer for a demo and they had a Linn KDS/3 in their listening room. I was able to use the Kazoo app on my iPhone which automatically connected with the dealer's KDS with zero fuss. In less than a minute I was browsing through my own collection of music (on Qobuz) and streaming this to the Linn KDS. I buy a lot of downloads from Qobuz too and I was able to access these too.

So yes I use Roon at home and like it a lot but it always surprises me how well the Linn/Kazoo thing works.

Guillaume

Guillaume,

I do agree with you. Kazoo is the best of the OpenHome control points, but it still pales in comparison to Roon. Most of my Linn clients have been using Roon through Airplay on their Linns, to discover new music, then reverting back to Kazoo to play them back in better quality. It's a kludge, but hopefully this will be fixed soon enough...

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Yes, Roon is a great product.
However, he is able to do things like this: Click on the magnifying glass on the upper right corner and type, for example Mozart. All the albums that you have in your library will appear, BUT WITHOUT ORDINATION BY TITLE OF ALBUM. If you have 300 albums of this composer and want to locate a piano concert, you can not move to the letter C and search, but you have to go from screen to screen, until you find it.
Extraordinary.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
OK, so I take it you know more than I do, both a Linn *and* Roon partner. Sure... Oh, the joys of Internet...

I'm in it for the fun :)
I don't need to sell gear on promises :rolleyes:
I learned the hard way to never ever again buy gear on promised features...

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Yes, Roon is a great product.
However, he is able to do things like this: Click on the magnifying glass on the upper right corner and type, for example Mozart. All the albums that you have in your library will appear, BUT WITHOUT ORDINATION BY TITLE OF ALBUM. If you have 300 albums of this composer and want to locate a piano concert, you can not move to the letter C and search, but you have to go from screen to screen, until you find it.
Extraordinary.

What happens when you type in "mozart piano"?
That should limit the hits to a manageable amount, right?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I'm in it for the fun :)
I don't need to sell gear on promises :rolleyes:
I learned the hard way to never ever again buy gear on promised features...

I don't need to sell gear, period. You're just trying to help spread misinformation, which, to me, is not what "in it for fun" looks like.

It's sad that you never perhaps considered that the "big bad dealer" here might be privy to a lot more information that you were able to gleam on the Internet...

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
What happens when you type in "mozart piano"?
That should limit the hits to a manageable amount, right?

Surely, but that is not the point. What I can not understand is that Roon understands that he has to deliver the result of a query, disorderly. About eight months ago I informed the Roon team, they told me they would study if it was of general interest. They must have considered that disorder is preferable.
Now, we have another option, click on the menu at the top left and in the drop-down menu we choose COMPOSITOR, here we can choose to sort by title and write Mozart. The output that Roon gives us is not the albums sorted by title, but the tracks of all Mozart albums sorted by title. Really wonderful

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Surely, but that is not the point. What I can not understand is that Roon understands that he has to deliver the result of a query, disorderly. About eight months ago I informed the Roon team, they told me they would study if it was of general interest. They must have considered that disorder is preferable.
Now, we have another option, click on the menu at the top left and in the drop-down menu we choose COMPOSITOR, here we can choose to sort by title and write Mozart. The output that Roon gives us is not the albums sorted by title, but the tracks of all Mozart albums sorted by title. Really wonderful

You are right. It makes no sense to allow all that filtering/sorting while browsing, but NOT in the search results...

Hifi Boy

Sep 16, 2017
Yes, I've been interested in knowing what it sounds like compared to Chord Dave for a while now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing