HELP - hook up Ref Phono 2SE to SP-20 preamp

clin36

Oct 30, 2016
Hi folks,

I just bought a Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE, and am wondering what is the best way to connect its output to the SP-20 preamp.

Just FYI, I plan to replace the SP-20 with Reference 6 preamp, but for the time being I need to hook up and enjoy what I currently have.

I think the preferred way is probably to use XLR cable to connect from 2SE output to SP-20 input, but I don't have any spare pair of XLR cable (until I get one shortly), so I can only use RCA single-ended connection.

So I have RCA cable connected to output on the Phono 2SE, and on the SP-20 preamp, I have choice of connecting to SE 1 ~ SE 4, Phono, and Monitor.

I am sure I shouldn't be connecting to the Phono, but how about the Monitor inputs? Or just connect to SE1?

Thank in advance for your advice.

Charles

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Charles do not connect to monitor. Connect to any of SE 1 to 4.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing