The Ethos- one superb value in electrostats!

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey Bonzo,

Just wanted to thank you for the Auralex mate. It's superb! I got one yesterday, and placed it under the Rega. The Iso Tone platform sits on three Nordost Sort Kones in triangular config, and no vibration whatsoever! This thing doesn't look like much, just some MDF board covered in two layers of felt or something but whatever it does, it is doing wonders!
It didn't cost too much either, around $160 AUD, I can now start to enjoy my LP's once again with no unwanted vibrations or tremors coming off the bass drivers.
Cheers for that, RJ

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi I actually used it under the Logans, spiked them on it

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G'day mates, fellow audiophiles and music lovers, and of course not forgetting ML owners both past & present;

Just wanted to check in on a few things before I call off for a while...

In the process of building and will be relocating mid of next year. I received the floor plans and looks like we should have more than adequate space for a wonderful pair of Ethos or the CLX's in the future... Having said that, they have informed us that the main floor area will be all floor tiles. I am ok with that, however since the ML's have spikes, which I prefer to the rubber feet, how would it be best to avoid damaging the tiles?

1. Bonzo mentioned using Auralex- yes agreed on that, however two issues: 1. the Auralex speaker pads don't cover the entire surface area of the Ethos, hence I would have to use two pads per speaker. This makes the cost go up considerably in terms of $AUD.

2. Even if I was to use the Auralex pads, would the spikes go right through them and damage the floor tiles?

3. Can I use just a thick carpet cut to size? Would that muddy the bass or result in defused bass?

4. I have heard and audition some fancy stuff such as maple shades. Definitely great to use for speaker placement but cost way too much and increases the height of the speakers, which is not something I want to do. I strongly feel that the standard height with the spikes is perfect.

5. Perhaps using just a small secondary tile would help? not sure... The ML dealer uses some sort of rubber mat under the Ethos and this seems to work. Not sure where he got this from but the look of that mat will not make wifey happy... oh! dear, this is more confusing than I thought...

Anyway, I need some expert advice please, and I would sincerely like to maintain costs as low as possible. Two main reasons for this; 1- building our new home, and 2- saving for the ultimate, the CLX!

Cheers, RJ

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi the Auralex I used were big enough for Summit at 70 GBP. So I don't see why you have a size issue. Also I had them on top of a thick carpet, carpet itself is not good enough. The spikes don't go through the auralex, what exactly are you using? Link?

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
this was the Aus importer for Auralex. called electric factory or something. located couple blocks from here. according to the speaker pads on offer, those ones didn't quite fit the dimensions of the Ethos. The rep told me to order two in that case but that's far too big and I will start to hear those subtle nuances from the wifey. these nuances are not very musical...

I'll have to revisit these chaps again and see what's available.

70 pounds in uk, would definitely be around $140 in Aud or probably more. I think those nuances will burst out into transients eventually.

let me think about it though, thanks for that bonzo.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
this was the Aus importer for Auralex. called electric factory or something. located couple blocks from here. according to the speaker pads on offer, those ones didn't quite fit the dimensions of the Ethos. The rep told me to order two in that case but that's far too big and I will start to hear those subtle nuances from the wifey. these nuances are not very musical...

I'll have to revisit these chaps again and see what's available.

70 pounds in uk, would definitely be around $140 in Aud or probably more. I think those nuances will burst out into transients eventually.

let me think about it though, thanks for that bonzo.

Look at Auralex Gramma or Great Gramma

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Spike issues solved!

Just contacted the ML dealer and they have a set of discs made from aluminium, specially used for such spikes. Introduced in Aus for ML owners, and could well be used for other types of spikes. As long as the speakers have a certain weight of at least 20kg, these discs should hold well.

They only cost $20AUD for a set of 8!

The Auralex speaker pads, imported by Electric factory, would be around $200 each, plus I'm not too sure about foam under the speakers... Anyway, thanks for the recommendation Bonzo. The Auralex Isotone platform under the TT & SACD components made a marvellous difference though, remarkable improvement that I would not have experienced otherwise.

The good wife will also be happy with 20 bucks. She might wonder if there's a stat panel speaker for 20 bucks... ha!
Cheers and have a good one to all.
RJ

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Gramma will make an extremely positive difference. You need to spike it on the gramma

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing