Kuzma Car Cartridges

Benanton

May 1, 2015
Hi. Anyone have any direct experiences with Kuzma's newish line of cartridges? I'm considering a car40 or car50 for my 4 point and I'm wondering if the large jump in price is worthwhile.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Fremer reviews the 6k car50 and 13k car60 cartridges in this month's Stereophile.

To say he was underwhelmed seems nice. Bland, inoffensive, softened transient attack, lack of slam or bass grip.

I will give it to Fremer, he writes in reviews how he hears it- and he loves Kuzma tonearms.

Last edited:

rossb

May 24, 2017
I have a Kuzma CAR 40, although it is not currently mounted on my Stabi Ref/313 Ref VTA (I prefer my VDH Black Beauty). But the CAR 40 is an excellent cartridge which I could easily live with. I find it very dynamic, full sounding, with deep bass and good tonal colour. Obviously, this is the opposite of Fremer's comments, for which I have no explanation. It is a very heavy cartridge and could have resulted from a tonearm mismatch, although in Fremer's case that seems unlikely. He does seem to have a preference for lean cartridges with highlighted top ends - ie Lyras - and the Kuzma definitely doesn't sound like a Lyra. I like mine a lot and will probably use it after my VDH.

rossb

May 24, 2017
Interestingly Fremer backtracks on his comments on the Kuzma cartridges in the latest Stereophile. Or rather, he repeats them, but says that (in essence) because he prefers a more analytical Lyra type of sound, the Kuzma cartridges did not appeal to him, but for someone who likes a different type of sound, the Kuzma cartridges are very good. They then get a Class A rating in the same issue.

Benanton

May 1, 2015
Interestingly Fremer backtracks on his comments on the Kuzma cartridges in the latest Stereophile. Or rather, he repeats them, but says that (in essence) because he prefers a more analytical Lyra type of sound, the Kuzma cartridges did not appeal to him, but for someone who likes a different type of sound, the Kuzma cartridges are very good. They then get a Class A rating in the same issue.

I’m a little bothered by the whole thing. In a way I would have preferred Fremer simply leaving it go with negative-ish review. How is it a cartridge he doesn’t like gets a Class A designation? Did anyone else at the magazine listen to it and disagree with Fremer? Or did Franc Kuzma call up Fremer, tell him his opinion is wrong, and Fremer said “OK you’re right, even though I don’t like it, it’s a great cartridge and it’s Class A worthy.”???

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I’m a little bothered by the whole thing. In a way I would have preferred Fremer simply leaving it go with negative-ish review. How is it a cartridge he doesn’t like gets a Class A designation? Did anyone else at the magazine listen to it and disagree with Fremer? Or did Franc Kuzma call up Fremer, tell him his opinion is wrong, and Fremer said “OK you’re right, even though I don’t like it, it’s a great cartridge and it’s Class A worthy.”???

Politics and keeping Kuzma happy.

Most people who read Stereophile on a regular basis are aware of Fremers musical bias and that is for an open neutral sound.

However, one that just looks at the yearly recommended products seeing a 14k Kuzma cartridge in class B is entirely different .

rossb

May 24, 2017
A follow up on this subject: Roy Gregory has just reviewed the Kuzma CAR60 in Hifi+ and - clearly taking aim at Fremer's review without mentioning him by name - concluded:

No cartridge can be all things to all men or women. There will be those who crave more detail and there will be those who expect more sonic fireworks. There will be those who never get the CAR-60 working right because they use the wrong arm or just lack the necessary skills and patience. They might well conclude that it’s dull but worthy. But if you hear this cartridge singing and if you really do use hi-fi as a gateway to music (rather than an end in itself) then I suspect that many a listener will be as astonished and flabbergasted, besotted, and beguiled as I was when I first heard the Lapis. This is one diamond that just might be forever.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Interesting point about no cartridge can be all things to all men. ( are there any women who care about these things, lol)
Having just acquired a new Lyra, I see that there are folks who hate their cartridges and others who like them over all other designs....personally, I am very pleased with mine. But I realize that it sounds very different to an Ortofon or a warm sounding Koetsu or a Van Den Hul etc., IMO, all have their adherents, and all have their strengths...you just match up the strength to your liking and system and away you go.However, I do believe that Roy’s point about expertise in set up and utilizing the correct arm is spot on.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing