Thread: Kuzma Car Cartridges

Kuzma Car Cartridges

Hi. Anyone have any direct experiences with Kuzma's newish line of cartridges? I'm considering a car40 or car50 for my 4 point and I'm wondering if the large jump in price is worthwhile.

Fremer reviews the 6k car50 and 13k car60 cartridges in this month's Stereophile.

To say he was underwhelmed seems nice. Bland, inoffensive, softened transient attack, lack of slam or bass grip.

I will give it to Fremer, he writes in reviews how he hears it- and he loves Kuzma tonearms.
    Last edited by XV-1; 02-25-2018 at 04:23 AM.
    Source:TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Exclusive P3 & P10, Technics SL-1000MK3D, Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas, Etna SL, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s, Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon DL-S1, ESC'd 103R, Audio Tech AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37, Esoteric E-03 EQ: ​​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: cj GAT, Amps: cj teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, Speakers: Wilson Maxx3 -Townsend Supertweeters

I have a Kuzma CAR 40, although it is not currently mounted on my Stabi Ref/313 Ref VTA (I prefer my VDH Black Beauty). But the CAR 40 is an excellent cartridge which I could easily live with. I find it very dynamic, full sounding, with deep bass and good tonal colour. Obviously, this is the opposite of Fremer's comments, for which I have no explanation. It is a very heavy cartridge and could have resulted from a tonearm mismatch, although in Fremer's case that seems unlikely. He does seem to have a preference for lean cartridges with highlighted top ends - ie Lyras - and the Kuzma definitely doesn't sound like a Lyra. I like mine a lot and will probably use it after my VDH.

Interestingly Fremer backtracks on his comments on the Kuzma cartridges in the latest Stereophile. Or rather, he repeats them, but says that (in essence) because he prefers a more analytical Lyra type of sound, the Kuzma cartridges did not appeal to him, but for someone who likes a different type of sound, the Kuzma cartridges are very good. They then get a Class A rating in the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by rossb View Post
    Interestingly Fremer backtracks on his comments on the Kuzma cartridges in the latest Stereophile. Or rather, he repeats them, but says that (in essence) because he prefers a more analytical Lyra type of sound, the Kuzma cartridges did not appeal to him, but for someone who likes a different type of sound, the Kuzma cartridges are very good. They then get a Class A rating in the same issue.
    Iím a little bothered by the whole thing. In a way I would have preferred Fremer simply leaving it go with negative-ish review. How is it a cartridge he doesnít like gets a Class A designation? Did anyone else at the magazine listen to it and disagree with Fremer? Or did Franc Kuzma call up Fremer, tell him his opinion is wrong, and Fremer said ďOK youíre right, even though I donít like it, itís a great cartridge and itís Class A worthy.Ē???

Quote Originally Posted by Benanton View Post
    I’m a little bothered by the whole thing. In a way I would have preferred Fremer simply leaving it go with negative-ish review. How is it a cartridge he doesn’t like gets a Class A designation? Did anyone else at the magazine listen to it and disagree with Fremer? Or did Franc Kuzma call up Fremer, tell him his opinion is wrong, and Fremer said “OK you’re right, even though I don’t like it, it’s a great cartridge and it’s Class A worthy.”???
    Politics and keeping Kuzma happy.

Most people who read Stereophile on a regular basis are aware of Fremers musical bias and that is for an open neutral sound.

However, one that just looks at the yearly recommended products seeing a 14k Kuzma cartridge in class B is entirely different .
    Source:TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Exclusive P3 & P10, Technics SL-1000MK3D, Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas, Etna SL, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s, Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon DL-S1, ESC'd 103R, Audio Tech AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37, Esoteric E-03 EQ: ​​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: cj GAT, Amps: cj teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, Speakers: Wilson Maxx3 -Townsend Supertweeters

14k$ kuzma cartridge??
    Why??
    Speakers:Magico Q3 Preamp:E.A.R 912 Amp:Luxman m900
    Cables:Siltech Double Crown Power:Nordost Odin1,Argento master flow
    Digital: Metronome C8/Aurender N10
    TT1TechDAS AF3/Thales Simplicity II/Ortofon RS212D/DV507MK2
    TT2:Torqueo T34 Exclusive Zebrano/ikeda 407
    Carts': Ortofon Anna,Zyx R1000 airy3,VDH Colibri Stradivarius,EMT XSD15,Murasakino Sumile,Koetsu Tsugaru,Top Wing Suzaku,DS W2
    Phono: CH Precision P1 Racks: Solid Tech Rack of silence reference Power treatmentPs Audio P10

Fremer was kind enough to do some sound clips so you can get a better idea:
    https://www.analogplanet.com/content...-do-you-prefer

I think that's more about self-justification than kindness.