Spacebar issue with this forum only.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've noticed that the spacebar does not engage when I type a reply...so there are no breaks between words. I've had to type in Word ..then copy/paste into a reply.

It works properly when creating a thread, but that's it.

It only happens on WBF...no where else. Really strange.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Howard

Mar 22, 2014
I've noticed it as well - seems to happen only when replying with a quote... replies without quotes are not showing this behavior. I'm using the Chrome browser on Windows 10 BTW.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've noticed it as well - seems to happen only when replying with a quote... replies without quotes are not showing this behavior. I'm using the Chrome browser on Windows 10 BTW.

Correct....it'sthereplywithquote(see!)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I also use Chrome with Win10

Howard

Mar 22, 2014

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I use Reply with quote virtually with every post and I have never experienced such similar problems. Don't know what to say Johnny. I don't use Chrome at all

Perhaps it's an issue with Chrome. Weird though...now it seems to work fine. (throws hands up in air) :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I've noticed that the spacebar does not engage when I type a reply...so there are no breaks between words. I've had to type in Word ..then copy/paste into a reply.

It works properly when creating a thread, but that's it.

It only happens on WBF...no where else. Really strange.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Similar issue reported by Chris over at CA.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
No issues on FF Steve, at least on my end.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Unfortunately the problem is real though due to latest changes to Chrome and the way the code in vbulletin generates text. See: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru.../4356452-space-bar-not-working-on-reply/page2 And a message from their support staff:

"Thu 27th Oct '16, 9:30am
Just to manage expectations - this is almost certainly an incompatibility between new versions of Chrome and the now quite old version of CKEditor that vBulletin 4 uses as its message editor.

There is no development work on vB4 now, as it is not the current product. The only work being done is php compatibility, any security issues that come up, and a handful of very minor bug fixes. Development work is focused on vB5.

Replacing the version of CKEditor in vB4 would be a major undertaking, requiring months of developer and QA time. I'm afraid that is not likely to happen.

Probably the best bet for any users affected is to get them to switch to the text-only editor ('source mode) instead of the WYSIWYG. They can do this in their user settings."

Hopefully the community will find a fix and or they change their mind and look into this.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Unfortunately the problem is real though due to latest changes to Chrome and the way the code in vbulletin generates text. See: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru.../4356452-space-bar-not-working-on-reply/page2 And a message from their support staff:

"Thu 27th Oct '16, 9:30am
Just to manage expectations - this is almost certainly an incompatibility between new versions of Chrome and the now quite old version of CKEditor that vBulletin 4 uses as its message editor.

There is no development work on vB4 now, as it is not the current product. The only work being done is php compatibility, any security issues that come up, and a handful of very minor bug fixes. Development work is focused on vB5.

Replacing the version of CKEditor in vB4 would be a major undertaking, requiring months of developer and QA time. I'm afraid that is not likely to happen.

Probably the best bet for any users affected is to get them to switch to the text-only editor ('source mode) instead of the WYSIWYG. They can do this in their user settings."

Hopefully the community will find a fix and or they change their mind and look into this.

really...is this the biggest issue of the day guys??????

Howard

Mar 22, 2014

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Not a big issue.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing