Spectral - left on?

robbyd

Dec 23, 2015
uk south-east
Who leaves their gear turned on?

No doubt the preamps take a couple of days to sound sweet, and the power amps at least a day...

I used to leave mine on continuously until it was pointed out that components have a certain lifespan, thousands of hours, and you're using it up!

So now there's a compromise - I tend to turn it off through the week, and on for the weekends when I have much more free time to listen....

But it's frustrating when you come to it fresh and you know and hear it's just not there yet...

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Other than the amps, everything else is always on. The 400RS need about 10-15 minutes or so, presumably due to the servo bias. Heat is always an issue, and the old SDR-2000 literally melted its sorbothane feet and main board capacitors as well as the power supply connectors, and I am not the only with that problem. Newer designs seem to manage heat more efficiently. I now use fans wherever I can (quiet, quality computer fans from Noctua)

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
My system seems to need a few days to get back to full speed after powering down my Spectral gear. So I usually leave it powered on all the time. Only exception is when there are electrical storms.

I keep a fan blowing on my Spectral components during the warmer months as these run hot.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It's possible - I don't really obsess that much

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Who leaves their gear turned on?

No doubt the preamps take a couple of days to sound sweet, and the power amps at least a day...

I used to leave mine on continuously until it was pointed out that components have a certain lifespan, thousands of hours, and you're using it up!

So now there's a compromise - I tend to turn it off through the week, and on for the weekends when I have much more free time to listen....

But it's frustrating when you come to it fresh and you know and hear it's just not there yet...

I read once that what stresses gear is the rush of electricity when you turn it on and it is better to leave it on. I leave my amps on all the time but turn off my preamp and source when not in use.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Everything is left on all the time, the only things I turn off are the turntable and the Nakamichi tape deck. They all get used every day anyway.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
A friend of mine who owns Spectral and MBL 101's leaves his system on all the time except during electrical storms.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing